PDA

View Full Version : Polyflow Critique

Inchoatos
10-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Hello everyone,

I modelled this character last night to test basic polyflow for a body. I'm currently an animation student and I am trying to practice getting my polyflow to deform nicely. Let me know what you think: my main concern is the joints. The polycount is very low I know but that isn't an issue as it is merely a basic framework. Thanks for you crits, they are much appreciated!

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3187/lowpolymale1ho9.jpg

killarai
10-08-2006, 12:41 AM
I don't know if I'm giving you a corny crit here, but it does help a whole lot.

Understand that you're actually modeling a human, and not a molded odd statue.

If you're modeling for deformity, and realistic movements, then the poly flow will come to you if you study the human anatomy.

Model muscles as they are, not the shapes the muscles make outside of the skin, otherwise you'll just get confused and forget what goes where, and what connects to what, and why.

The best crit I can really give you is... Study the human anatomy, and design a poly flow out of the real stature of the human body.

Poly flow is pretty difficult to do if you don't know much about what you're really designing.

I'm confusing, I know... But hey, I tried.

=]

Inchoatos
10-08-2006, 04:00 AM
Actually, that helps quite a bit. I used to draw the polyflow on faces in PS before I would use it as a reference for modelling and it really helped in that instance. So I suppose I should start doin that here :) Thanks for the advice!

Vladislav-Ivanov
10-08-2006, 05:57 AM
Spiderman?

Looks good so far, and again it all depends on how close you'd be able to see you character on the screen for a 3rd person shooter looks good (I presume you're making spiderman or smth like an action hero thing).

For comic hero model anatomy plays less role due to the nature of the subject. Usually you see them like that - very fit, flat belly, big jaw, and again muscles. Villains tend to be tall and thin with a slightly stretched spine/body or fat and short with a short thick neck and short legs and so on...

Nowadays game engines and computers can easily handle main characters (including some important NPC's) for up to 6k polygons. Don't forget LOD's save the world.

www.vladislav-ivanov.com (http://www.vladislav-ivanov.com/)

Inchoatos
10-08-2006, 02:57 PM
I didn't have any goal as to what the model was. My only concern was a basic structure. Its actually only about 600 polys right now. But thanks for the info anyhow!

bonkanailios
10-08-2006, 07:01 PM
this might help, its not really that much about poly flow, but it really dug me out of a hole when it comes to getting the right deformations around joints
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=414433

benclark
10-09-2006, 09:11 AM
for such a low poly count it is hard to really crit the poly flow as you dont have enough geometry to make the edges flow like muscles.

Everything looks good so far, there are 2 things that I noticed...

1. The neck could use an extra loop. If you plan on rigging the character there is not much geometry in the neck just now to support movement

2. I would also throw in another loop to define the clavicle. Just now the neck flows straight into the chest with no definition

Inchoatos
10-09-2006, 07:01 PM
bonkanailios: Thanks for the link there! That .gif was actually very useful.

Alchemist101: Indeed it is very low. I'm going to continue my anatomy study and post another model as soon as I get a chance to model it. :) My instructor has me somewhat busy with other projects at the moment. Thanks for the input!

Confracto
10-10-2006, 04:55 PM
as far as polys for deforming, I agree with alchemist. You could also use an extra loop at the wrists and ankles, and I think theres a few wasted on the bellybutton area, and the crotch needs some extra shape.

good model tho

Inchoatos
10-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Hey guys!

The replies are much appreciated! I made some changes to the model:

Firstly, I added two more loops to better define the neck and also for deforming. I didn't change much to the lower abdominals as far as geometry. I added another loop to both the ankles and the wrists.

The biggest change I made was in the shoulders. I was troubled by them in the first version, and after going through many anatomy pictures I rebuilt them. I like the result, tell me what you all think!

Thanks!

http://img307.imageshack.us/img307/2452/lowpolymale2uq2.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2006, 07:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.