PDA

View Full Version : Team Colors in a modern RTS?

Ghostscape
10-07-2006, 06:14 PM
How are team colors usually handled in a modern RTS? In ye olde days of long ago, it was a color swap on a certain section of the palette, but nowadays, with full color maps and large textures and everything, how do most games handle it?

Gamedev
10-07-2006, 06:45 PM
I know w/ UT2004 you can simply apply a color modifier to the texture. Its done realtime to produce different 'team' colors. An engine shader thing. I would think that many variations would be a waste of memory, but since most RTS's are on the PC It wouldnt be that big a deal.

Ghostscape
10-07-2006, 06:51 PM
In UT2k4 I was under the impression that the team color textures were actually separate maps- I seem to recall seeing them while looking through UnrealEd. I could be mistaken, though.

Vladislav-Ivanov
10-07-2006, 08:42 PM
I saw that guy's page who made charcters for UT2K4 , he made separate textures.
Somewhere in artists looking for job under +8 years amazing expirience post or smth like that ,he was looking for a new gig.

www.vladislav-ivanov.com (http://www.vladislav-ivanov.com/)

Gamedev
10-07-2006, 09:18 PM
haha, I wasnt refering to how it IS done, just rather that a few mods have done it and it can be done using a simple shader. Either way, I don't see it being a deal breaker unless you're working w/ console memory restrictions. The nice thing abou the shader is that you can change it all on the fly w/ no need to re-work a texture.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/MaterialTutorial#Modifier

Ghostscape
10-08-2006, 02:02 AM
anyhow, UT2k4 isn't really the focus of my question, I was wondering more about RTS games.

RuinedMessiah
10-08-2006, 05:11 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say yes, it's perfectly fine to create an assortment of the different colored maps. Especially since in an RTS, if you are using over a 512x512 at the most, you're being downright wasteful. But if you want an even easier path, use a few maps and model your units with this concept.

Each model has a certain amount of "common" geometry and then a certain amount of "team specific" geometry. The team specific geometry would be what holds the team colors. Based upon team selection, they would load that specific geometry, or rather, that specific geometry would become visible. Consider it like this. Your entire model would be the common polies and then the complete set of variously colored polygons. However, you would rig your model somehow that the game engine would only render the common and the selected color geometry.

If that makes any sense. It's better to think of it like in terms of LODs or maybe I'm just rambling. I'll be using this concept to some effect on one of my game projects but until I get the code up and running, rather hard to tell if it works efficiently or not.

smurfbizkit2
10-08-2006, 05:19 PM
As far as I know C&C Generals, Battle for Middle Earth 1/2 and Dawn of War (slightly more complicated here though) use the alpha channel to list the sections of the texture that are remappable.

CGTalk Moderation
10-08-2006, 05:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.