PDA

View Full Version : Maya MEL scripter transition to C4D

Resist
10-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Hi, I知 new in C4D. I知 a Maya user for about 6 years.

I知 very impressed by te hair module and version 10 features and all but I知 not sure about Developpement environment.

Within a month of MEL training I was able to make about watherver tool I needed in Maya. The script editor history log every step you make and give you results and errors... you can access any command and flags in a clic and test it right away ...

So is their anyone who can tell me what the transition is like for a Maya MEL scripter to C4D environnement. Thanks.

Kuroyume0161
10-08-2006, 12:31 AM
I don't know anything about MEL scripting, but you may want to start with COFFEE scripting in C4D as it will at least be a more compatible crossover than jumping into C++ plugin development (which requires knowledge of C++, compilers, and has no interactive editing while running - only debugging).

Per-Anders
10-08-2006, 12:46 AM
Hi, I知 new in C4D. I知 a Maya user for about 6 years.

I知 very impressed by te hair module and version 10 features and all but I知 not sure about Developpement environment.

Within a month of MEL training I was able to make about watherver tool I needed in Maya. The script editor history log every step you make and give you results and errors... you can access any command and flags in a clic and test it right away ...

So is their anyone who can tell me what the transition is like for a Maya MEL scripter to C4D environnement. Thanks.

Hi, you will find MEL is a far better scripting system than COFFEE in Cinema, really there's no compsrison. There's a command history in Cinema (you have to search for it in the command manager though, but you can drag it out to any shelf), and the console will output errors from your COFFEE scripts, but it's not really on a par with Mayas. XPressso also has a COFFEE node, and is very easy to set up basic expressions quickly in a node based structure.

COFFEE is limited in the kinds of plugins it can make, you can make the following types:
Commands (run from a menu or even another script).
Expressions (generally run as a tag on an object).
Filters (File Export/Importers)
PluginTags (data storage on objects),
Animation Plugins (new track types for the timeline)
Shaders & Materials,
Standard interfaces with UserAreas for custom drawing and gadgets.

What you cannot make with COFFEE is:
New objects types (e.g. a new type of deformer, or generator),
Interactive Tools,
Scenehooks,
New Falloff types,
Videopost effects,
Message plugins,
CustomGUI plugins,
XPresso Node plugins (though to an extent that's moot as you can make a COFFEE node in Xpresso)
Attributes Manager interfaces
and a few others.

You also do not have direct access to drawing into the viewport or interaction in the viewport.

Having said all of that, the COFFEE api is good, ti's documentation is very good and hte support is free and good.

The C++ API side is very strong and allows you to do virtually anything, the documentation is excellent (though there's not much for the beginner, it's class and structure based), again support is free. Both come with the demo so you can find out for yourself. I would actually say in some ways once you get past the basics of C++ it's easier than scripting, and faster to do what you want as well as being far deeper.

Documentation and support questions can be asked at plugincafe too www.plugincafe.com (http://www.plugincafe.com) and people here will also generally attempt to try and help answer any specific questions you may have.

Resist
10-08-2006, 01:35 AM
Thanks a lot !

MEL is great but not enough to keep me with Maya. and that Maya 8 is an insult compare to C4d 10.

well anyway... thx again.

ecore
10-27-2006, 09:23 AM
There's a command history in Cinema (you have to search for it in the command manager though, but you can drag it out to any shelf)

HI Per,
I can not find this command in the command manager...please tell me what's its name in the command manager,thanks.

Joe

Per-Anders
10-27-2006, 09:48 AM
hehe, I have a feeling it was introduced in r10 (though possibly it might be in 9.6) but you'll find it there called "Script Log".

ecore
10-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks Per:)I found it in R10.

afffa
10-27-2006, 01:48 PM
ah, thanks,
didn't realize there is sth. like the Scipt Log.
usefull, sometimes :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2006, 01:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.