PDA

View Full Version : What 'good' is Steamroller?

Martin Kay
10-07-2006, 10:20 AM
What good is Steamroller, other than accurately placing textures on the walls of cylinders (pencils). What about the end caps of the cylinder? Also when designating polygons in the texturing window for placement of shaders/maps, the texture still bleeds over the sides of the object. Does this mean I have to use alphas to stop this or is this where Steamroller comes in in making accurately fitting maps? Doesn't EI have a plug in that unwraps textures like Bodypaint?

Martin K

Reuben5150
10-07-2006, 06:16 PM
You can't unwrap custom uv's with EI, what Steamroller does is unwrap a psd from any of the standard EI uv projections, except cubic.

It might seem pretty limited but it really is a great plugin to have once you've used it you won't do without.

The the edge bleeding should be cured by turing off "negative z" under filter settings, oh yeah and Steamroller comes with a few bugs on the windows version.. sometimes crashes EI when writing out the psd and sometimes maps are flipped vertically, the bugs don't get in the way to much.. i would'nt expect much in the way of support from TrippleD, but it is worth the $99? IMO

If there is a manual on the site, i would download and read it.

Martin Kay
10-07-2006, 09:39 PM
You can't unwrap custom uv's with EI, what Steamroller does is unwrap a psd from any of the standard EI uv projections, except cubic.

It might seem pretty limited but it really is a great plugin to have once you've used it you won't do without.

The the edge bleeding should be cured by turing off "negative z" under filter settings, oh yeah and Steamroller comes with a few bugs on the windows version.. sometimes crashes EI when writing out the psd and sometimes maps are flipped vertically, the bugs don't get in the way to much.. i would'nt expect much in the way of support from TrippleD, but it is worth the $99? IMO

If there is a manual on the site, i would download and read it.

There's not much in the manual to read really. Yes, I've noticed the buggyness...
Thanks for your help Reuben.

Martin K

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2006, 09:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.