PDA

View Full Version : Fly Me To The Moon the movie

maNus
10-07-2006, 04:47 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would like to present you "Fly Me To The Moon". The first true stereoscopic computer animated 3D feature film. It will be hitting in theaters in 2007. You can have a look at it on our brand new website on http://www.flymetothemoonthemovie.com.

Let me know what you think,

Manu

SearchingSoul
10-07-2006, 08:19 AM
ola,

Great Work! Very nice Renderings, cute Characters, good animations - a very high level work!
I m interested to see this one in a cinema (especialy beause of the stereoscopic nature).

Nice Idea to get some "3D" specialty into the Webpresentation (those Flash Layers) ;)

It would be great to hear more production facts ;)

yours
SearchingSoul

maNus
10-07-2006, 11:24 AM
ola,
It would be great to hear more production facts ;)

Tell me... what is it that you would like to know.

Manu

jeremybirn
10-07-2006, 05:37 PM
The first true stereoscopic computer animated 3D feature film.

So stereoscopic computer animated 3D feature films like Ant Bully, Monster House, and Polar Express don't count?

-jeremy

danshewan
10-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Whilst this does look entertaining, I can't help wondering why oh why must almost every CG animated feature include some terribly cute variety of animal / insect creatures as the protagonists?

The story certainly seems intriguing (if the flies' actions directly affect historical events, for instance), but I can't get past the character design - cute little bugs, that all fit neatly into established character stereotypes like the 'fat one', the 'nerdy one' and the 'reluctant yet normally-proportioned leader one'?

Maybe people get so caught up with the technical feats of a movie that they completely forget that originality and story come first. This post isn't intended to trash the film before I've seen it, or any other CG animated efforts of late - just seems to me that perhaps future offerings should spend more time at the proverbial (or not so) drawing board before firing up the software and crafting cute yet well-modeled animals / insects with celebrity voices.

maNus
10-07-2006, 06:08 PM
So stereoscopic computer animated 3D feature films like Ant Bully, Monster House, and Polar Express don't count?

-jeremy

Hehe, I knew I would get that as a reaction. I'm sorry but the films you mention aren't true stereoscopic movies. They have just been converted during post-production.

Our movie is only intended for stereoscopic viewing (it won't be released in normal theaters). The entire movie has been build upon this experience from start to finish. It's already in the animatic stage that we start playing with the effect. I guess you'll just have to go and see the movie to see and truly experience the difference.

Manu

jeremybirn
10-07-2006, 06:19 PM
They have just been converted during post-production.

I don't know where you heard that; maybe you are thinking of Chicken Little instead?

The makers of Polar Express even had a SIGGRAPH course in 2005 showing how they had rendered elements from the two perspectives to make the true stereo perspective, which you would see if you saw it in 3D IMAX. I found the true 3D presentation in IMAX very impressive, and found sitting through the film in the non-stereo format less impressive, especially with all the roller-coster-perspective type shots that seemed to have been designed like a ride for a 3D sensation.

The fact that they also released a non-stereo version in regular theaters doesn't mean they weren't true stereo films, it just means they made two versions. In some cases, the view in non-stereo was the same as the left eye or right eye in stereoscopic. In other cases, like when something had to be centered in the screen, they'd rendered the left eye for stereo, the right eye for stereo, and a centered version for non-stereo release, ended up rendered an element three times in order to do well at each of the versions.

-jeremy

LucentDreams
10-07-2006, 09:42 PM
All 3 sony Features (Polar Express, Monster House and now Open Season) are True 3 dimensional Steroscopic films, and Disney is heading this way with the help of Talent Like Phil McNally whose been a leading artist in this area.

Its true that so far the disney films have been converts as has superman etc, but both Sony Picutres Imageworks and Sony Pictures Animation have works in true 3D stereoscopic. Two separate renders not a single split in post.

Squash-n-Stretch
10-08-2006, 01:11 AM
Hehe, I knew I would get that as a reaction. I'm sorry but the films you mention aren't true stereoscopic movies. They have just been converted during post-production.

Our movie is only intended for stereoscopic viewing (it won't be released in normal theaters). The entire movie has been build upon this experience from start to finish. It's already in the animatic stage that we start playing with the effect. I guess you'll just have to go and see the movie to see and truly experience the difference.

Manu

Oops, I guess you are wrong! It is not the first after all; more like the fourth (or even after that)

Plus, I'm not sure why you seem proud of the fact that it is not compatible with standard cinema presentation...I certainly hope you make your budget back in earnings.

The site took an age to load up, so I didn't bother. But I wasn't impressed by the design of the little blue guy.

meta87
10-08-2006, 01:37 AM
Nice website and it sounds like a neat concept. Good luck and I'll be sure to check it out if it comes to Austin!

Titouthing
10-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Hy everyone,

I'm working on this movie too. I think what Manus means when he says, "true stereoscopic 3D", is that the film will only be projected in stereoscopic.

In this way, the way of shooting is different; less backlight to avoid ghosting effect. The picture is flatter on a screen (less contrast). That's the relief that let the plans "emerge".
We also avoid plans with characters cutted by the limits of the pictures (that's why flying characters are interesting).
Moreover, the rythm is slower, because there is more occulars movement (diverge\converge ect...). I could spend a long time telling the particularity of a stereoscopic movie. But all those differences makes the movie better during a stereoscopic viewing and also worth when seeing in 2D.

So the film will not be projected in 2D, neither in IMAX. So where? The aim is the new emergence of converted traditionnal theatre into stereoscopic one. (cheaper now thanks to numeric projection).

So i think it's really a new type of movies. Not really the first one because the frontiers are blurred, but an inovative one.

Sorry for my english :)

Jadetiger
10-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Heheheh, they are flys... flying to the moon. A PLAY ON WORDS! I GET IT!!! Looks cute. Please tell me that the song 'Fly me to the Moon' is going to be in the movie. I love that song. :love:

rollmops
10-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Hello everyone!

I'd just like to mention some CG-members working on the movie:Scob
Madpear
fredconv
brunodek
gregoo23
Sethfarah
derbyQsalano
timis
Thias
citronvert

:bounce:

animalunae
10-09-2006, 09:19 AM
Let me post a little word on this, hoping to strengthen the comments made by my collegues here. This in fact is the first 3D stereoscopic movie from start to finish. The director and producers of the project should come explain a little further, because I don't want to be writing anything incorrect about it. And let me point out that we are simply part of the production team and we hardly have anything to say about the wordplay in the title, the cute animal characters or the way this movie will be brought into theaters, but I'm more then confident this will be a major succes for nWave, and eventually also for the Belgian and perhaps even European CG Industry and being a sceptic, that's saying a lot!

Let me post some of the stills on the website, just to attract a little attention ^^

http://www.flymetothemoon3d.com/scenes/gallery/2D/3.jpg
http://www.flymetothemoon3d.com/scenes/gallery/2D/5.jpg
http://www.flymetothemoon3d.com/scenes/gallery/2D/6.jpg

animalunae
10-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Here's a word from the director:

Ben Stassen:

"Currently only 3 films in production can claim to be the "real" thing: "Fly Me To The Moon" (nWave Pictures), "Journey To The Center of The Earth" (Walden Media/New Line) and "Beowulf (Shangrila/Paramount).
Films like Polar Express, Chicken Little or Monster House, became 3D films after the fact. It is true that contrary to Superman, they were not mere 2D to 3D conversion. As second eye was created from the original database (using different approaches). While technically, they are quite well done. The 3D in these films is minimalist at best. The truth is 3D filmmaking is a totally different language of cinema. Creating a real immersive 3D experience requires different pacing, framing and lighting. It is virtually impossible to make a film that works as well in 2D as in 3D.

As the 3D digital theater network grows, more and more filmmakers will take the plunge and create real 3D experiences for a 3D release only. Audiences will see the difference and will demand the "real" thing."

animalunae
10-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Heheheh, they are flys... flying to the moon. A PLAY ON WORDS! I GET IT!!! Looks cute. Please tell me that the song 'Fly me to the Moon' is going to be in the movie. I love that song. :love:

Heh, the movie starts with it indeed :)

almux
10-09-2006, 12:23 PM
...And as a plus: a very groovy website! Real good. Gives a thrill to go ahead and looking forward to see the movie in theatre!!

nWave
10-09-2006, 12:51 PM

YES THE SONG WILL BE IN THE OPENING TITLE SEQUENCE

fredconv
10-09-2006, 01:29 PM
hi everyone
glad to be part of this team :) that s it
just wait and see

LucentDreams
10-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Don't get us wrong I dont' think anyones trying to diminish the fiml itself, it looks pretty cool, but the claim and what you mean are two different things. your simply saying that 3D was considered in each shot where as films like Polar Express the 3D cameras weren't a considertaion every step of the way from initial script to final production. That hardly defines it as a TRUE 3D film and the others not so. I mean its like saying that a director who takes fullscreen into consideration when composing his shots didn't ake a film in true widescreen.

The other thing that concerns me, knowing your previous productions very well is that while this film seems to be a big step in maturing your story telling and effects, the way you guys separate how your process of making the film with 3D in consideration every step of the way, it also seems to suggest the thrillride type in your face 3D tha tI think detracts fromt he story telling.

Best film I've seen to date in 3D is Ghost of the Abyss, because it used the 3D cameras (live action and compositing) intelligently and had none of the "whoa things are coming at you" or "look your movign through 3D space" kinda shots. Something that Many Nwave films have been all about, being more thrill based.

nWave
10-10-2006, 11:24 AM
;Don't get us wrong I dont' think anyones trying to diminish the fiml itself, it looks pretty cool

You are right in stating that, in the past, our films have been much more about 3D thrills than story , except maybe for Wild Safari 3D, a live action wild life documentary. Most of our films have been designed to work well on a more visceral level. Right or wrong, this is what audiences worldwide seem to be looking for when they go to a 3D presentation.

When you look at exit surveys done at Imax theaters around the world, it is clear that viewers are looking for the total immersion. They want to be transported into the filmic space. This seem even more important to them than the story itself. I agree with you, as a film "Ghost of The Abyss" is far superior to most of the large format 3D titles release to date. Yet despite a great marketing campaign by Disney, a big time director and a very appealing subject matter the film has failed to attract large audiences and has earned a relatively low per screen average. Maybe it was not immersive enough. One thing is certain though, all the large format films with good immversive 3D have out-performed the "better" films with less 3D even.

As the novelty of 3D (the modern ear 3D -good projection system, pleasant viewing experience etc...) wears out, audiences will start asking for more than just 3D immersion. This is the step we are attempting to take with "Fly Me To The Moon". We feel we have a strong story, one that will actually be enhanced by the 3D. Of course there will be plenty of thrilling sequences, but more imporantly, 3D is also a very powerful tool when it comes to capturing intimacy. Something quite useful when a good portion of your story takes place in the confinment of te Appolo 11 spaceship.

As for the debate on what constitutes a "real" 3D film, there is no doubt that once films conceived and produced in 3D for a 3D only release find their way to the multiplexes, audiences at large will see and feel the difference. 3D filmmaking has its own grammar and it is hard to apply it to a 2D film and vice versa. Having said that the 3D grammar itself can be used in very different ways creatively. What constitutes a "good" 3D experience???

That's for the public to decide.

CosyTo
10-10-2006, 04:49 PM
The first time I finally see some footage from your project...

Great work guys!!:thumbsup:
Honestly, I think it already looks very well in '2D'... I surely hope to get a chance to see it in that famous '3D'-thing somewhere here.
Keep it up!

Brötje
10-11-2006, 12:38 AM
Wim,

You're not family of mine that I don't know of, are you? :)

The movie looks great! Can't wait to see it!

Say hello to Yvan and Peter for me!

captain3d
10-11-2006, 08:50 AM
Hi Guys

Good luck with the film. I would agree that this could be described as the first 100% stereoscopic CG movie. When I hear things like slower pacing and centered composition than would be normal for a current flat movie then it does sound like something different.

Polar Express, Chicken Little, Monster House, Ant Bully, Open Season have all been truly stereoscopic even if they used reprojection techniques. The Nightmare Before Christmas is a 'real' conversion from 2D - 3D.

My understanding is that this movie is being designed from the ground up for what you think is the best stereoscopic experience without regard for a flat version. All the other movies make the best stereoscopic version they can but might have some restrictions due to lens choice or edit speed from the flat version that you do not have to work around.

I really hope it works for you. Its a brave step to make a stereoscopic only release and will only go to raise the bar and stereoscopic language of cinema. Hopefully we will have a ton of stereoscopic compatible theaters out there a year from now.

phil

eric P
10-11-2006, 09:52 AM
:)
I'm totaly submerged,.........with work.:D

Scob
10-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Hi , everybody ...

Just for saying, that i have the chance to work on this project too , and apart from the technical aspect... I hope that everybody who will see the movie,will become again children ,projected in a "another" world ...:rolleyes:

scpL
10-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Hi,
Please be cool with us...we are only 50 workers to release a feature film in full 3d with 2 cameras by shot and all that in one1/2 year.:D
I think the film will be a new nice experience for luckers will see it on IMAX in USA!
I hope it!

scpL

animalunae
10-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Wim,

You're not family of mine that I don't know of, are you? :)

The movie looks great! Can't wait to see it!

Say hello to Yvan and Peter for me!

Heh, I think not, but who knows right ^^

brunodek
10-23-2006, 09:00 AM
:)
I'm totaly submerged,.........with work.:D

I do all to submerge him, .....with work
It's very cool.

CGTalk Moderation
10-23-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.