PDA

View Full Version : How to create booleans?

bunnyld
10-06-2006, 10:52 PM
hey all

I'v tried to create booleans by taking 2 objcets:

1) I press on one object
2) choose boolean -> difrrence
3) then pick the other object

the problem is, when i move the first object (the one who have hole now) the boolean is lost and the hole is gone
.. and it generaly have lots of bugs with high poly models (geometry level 2+)

another issue i can't anderstand is why when working on a model with 100 -200 poly's the workflow gets slow, for example when i press ctrl+D to duplicate it takes more and more time for XSI to load the action .. in the beginning it takes 1 sec', but after i have 150-200 polys/work a 15-20 min it can take 10 or 20 sec .. why is that? (the windows is fine,drivers up to date. so as the hardware).

thanks for reading.

digitalguest
10-07-2006, 01:29 PM
you shoul freeze the object dude, because a boolean operation creates a bound between the 2 objects, im having either issues with the quality results of boolean operation.

Sbowling
10-10-2006, 11:15 AM
This stuff is covered very well in the online manual (F1). From the sound of your problems, you should take some time going through it.

Felipe
10-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Always freeze your model after boolean operation, unless you want to animate the boolean itself. Usually some clean up is necessary in the mesh. I try to avoid use booleans altogether, since sometimes you take more time to clean up the mesh than model from scratch.
Freezing the object you get rid of the slowness as well, cause if you don't, XSI has to calculate the boolean (and everything else you did on the model) each time you do something with the object. Duplicating it will give you even worse performance cause you're duplicating the calculations as well. Kill history and you wil have a much improved performance for sure.

Cheers,
Felipe

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2006, 01:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.