PDA

View Full Version : Christopher Richardson VFX Reel 2006

christopr
10-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Hello everyone, the quality of work on these forums have been so good lately Iím a little intimidated posting my recent Vancouver Film School final project. A little over a year ago I had never even turned on a 3D program so I would appreciate any comments or critiques so I might have a chance to tweak it a bit before continuing to look for work.

I really wanted to try a VFX student reel with a tiny bit of a story. I designed my character Gomez and then starting modeling in XSI but I needed to transfer him over to Maya to refine his geometry, texture, rig, animate and paint (in Photoshop). I then used Reelsmart motion blur in Digital Fusion 5. The plates were shot many times over many days (the weather and limited camera booking were just epically uncooperative) so I pieced shots together as best to fit my needs as possible with Adobe After Effects. The actress was also rotoscoped out of her plate (without a blue screen) as I decided afterwards I needed to move and colour correct the background independently of her. Rotoscoping flowing hair and a flapping scarf were challenging but I did start to enjoy the animation aspects of it towards the end.

I learned a whole lot on this project, some of the more valuable lessons being what not to do and I'm glad to have had the experience before hopefully starting work.

Thanks and cheers!

http://student.vfs.com/~3d57christopherr/gomez.jpg

Here is a link to them if you want to watch it online: http://members.shaw.ca/christopr/portfolio/gomez.htm

or else you can download a 600x400 Quicktime H.264 (21.5mb) here: http://student.vfs.com/~3d57christopherr/christopherR_600x400_h264.mov

or the 360x240 Quicktime H.264 (11.8mb): http://student.vfs.com/~3d57christopherr/christopherR_360x240_h264.mov

I am a long time reader, first time poster ;) so please let me know if these links aren't working properly.

nessus
10-07-2006, 05:29 AM
Nice reel.

christopr
10-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks Larry, you are now my favorite poster of all time. ;)

p0rcupine
10-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Hey Chris. Good to see ur finshed piece here. How have u been buddy~

Knowing that you didn't know any 3d before coming to school, it's incredible how much u have accomplished in one year. I just wish we had better help.
I checked out ur website too. very simple and clean yet very welll designed. good job.

Well Good luck in the future and I hope you find what u seek for in near future if you haven't already. Keep in touch. ;)

christopr
10-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks Taeyoung, I left comments on yours too (thought it looked great). Congrats on getting the front page!

christopr
10-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Scares me that no one is posting to my reel. I can't get better with honest feedback.

Please post if you have a chance or opinion.

Thanks, I do appriciate it.

PHO 75
10-11-2006, 01:32 AM
hey canadian chris,
good to see your stuff on here man. i remember you and paul gave yourselves a deadline to finalize your reels....and correct me if i'm wrong but that deadline was months ago. ha ha, just busting your balls man. good work chris, everything really came together nicely. i would like to really see your character move though. you put so much time into designing and rigging it. i know you're done already but you should do an animation piece with it. dont' let a kick a$$ character like this go to waste. good luck with the job search buddy, take care

christopr
10-11-2006, 05:06 AM
hey canadian chris,
good to see your stuff on here man. i remember you and paul gave yourselves a deadline to finalize your reels....and correct me if i'm wrong but that deadline was months ago. ha ha, just busting your balls man. good work chris, everything really came together nicely. i would like to really see your character move though. you put so much time into designing and rigging it. i know you're done already but you should do an animation piece with it. dont' let a kick a$$ character like this go to waste. good luck with the job search buddy, take care

Ha yes, it was done on schedule but then Karla recently told me I should post it here and I don't speak enough Spanish to tell you what happens if you oppose Karla. I had to keep my self imposed deadline as I then went on a nice trip back east to visit my Dad in Ottawa (Canada City).

I'm sure I will go back to him to make a little animation but I think after spending 6 months with Gomez, I would like to try a new character for a bit.

Keep in touch!

Constructive
10-25-2006, 04:27 PM
I liked your character, I liked that you made a visual effects piece with a story. The breakdowns of the matte and color correction were very extensive, did you do that on purpose or why didn't you film it in better light so less work in post?

chess0128
10-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Great reel...^^

dutchtilt
10-28-2006, 05:40 PM
cristopr: i think this peice is ok: id like to see you take the skills you have aquired and apply it to another project...one without a character :) the problem with having a character in a vfx short is just that....its too short. im not implying anyone needs more than one shot for thier reel to be stellar...i am saying that with a character, you have the modeling the rigging, the animation...and without good animation, it kills your piece.

I might have had an animator animate this for you. i think the animation is a little floaty, doesnt show the weight of the character---perhaps one of the animation gurus here can speak more to that. the contact animation is especially lacking...when he picks up the pole etc...i think their needs to be more subtleties in the hand animation.

i also think the dragon is a little too bright. it needs to integrate better. you have it casting shadows on the building, but no building is casting shadows on it>> if he were to come in and out of the shadow, it might help integrate better. perhaps even a little camera shake when he steps...

overall i can tell that you progressed in your studies...id take those abilities and apply it to a new short and see what happens! hope this helps!

good luck---

christopr
10-28-2006, 11:36 PM
i also think the dragon is a little too bright. it needs to integrate better. you have it casting shadows on the building, but no building is casting shadows on it>> if he were to come in and out of the shadow, it might help integrate better. perhaps even a little camera shake when he steps...

overall i can tell that you progressed in your studies...id take those abilities and apply it to a new short and see what happens! hope this helps!

good luck---

Thanks for the feedback Dutchtilt, integrating the dragon was very difficult due to the amount of sun and lack of real world shadows. I tried to match his luminence and saturation to the colours of the people he almost steps on. Since there weren't any real world shadows in the shot I wasn't making any (except contact ones) but the mentors and I decided we should put that one on the building. Good idea about walking through shadows. I would have loved to reshoot too but by that time and several epic complications, I had to do the best with what I had. I enjoyed the troubleshooting and enjoyed the learning.

I set out trying to put a 3d cartoon in a real world and to suspend that disbelief was certainly challenging having no previous 3d experience before VFS. Many many hours were spent tweaking it. Many many many. I would love to go back a do a lot differently, I learned a lot during this process and know there would be major improvements and changes. As George Lucas says, "a film is never finished, only abandoned".

There actually is camera shake when he walks and when he pulls the post out. Maybe too subtle?

I have lots of ideas for new shorts and started developing a few, however I started working at Rainmaker so it will take a bit longer to make them.

Thanks again for your honest feedback, very helpful, good luck to you too,

ChristopherR

PangSiawYee
10-29-2006, 01:16 PM
Hello Chris!

How are you?

Your reel make me laugh! I'm sure that it makes lots of people laugh too.. Very entertaining.

All the best to you!

Myzer
10-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Gomez is sooooooooooo adorable!:love:
Wanna give him a hug:rolleyes:

christopr
10-31-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks PangSiawYee! I am doing well, how are you doing?

Thanks Myzer! but by cute you mean ferocious and all powerful right? ;)

`ChristopherR

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2006, 07:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.