View Full Version : Orange "Animals"

jordibares
10-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Here it is the latest work we have done

http://www.the-mill.com/article.php?A=555

hope you enjoy it.

p4roxysm
10-06-2006, 09:20 PM
What a great concept! What I love the most is the sense of weight you get, especially when the dolphin lifts one of the speakers. Despite how wrong it is, it looks right... :-S
Also, the simplicity of each POP is a bit weird frame by frame, yet in real time it works perfectly.
I read the whole thing was built from photos and cg. Besides the simulations what were some of the biggest challenges in terms of comping that you guys went through? Do you have a link to the print campaign that this originated from? Thanks!

jordibares
10-07-2006, 02:21 PM
I am happy you liked it, answering your questions..

The animation took quite a bit to block out and after that the whole concept ended up very close to those original ideas developed with the director side by side basically.

In terms of heavy/light, it was very difficult to find the right balance in order to make it belieavable but what did the trick was that it was a double chain of RBDs. Meaning that the real physics ballon is hidden, the one you see is another ballon attached to the actual lifted object which also follows the real hidden ballon, so it is truly light and its reactions too. For the other cases the solution was completly different.

The print campaign in my opinion was so good we did really wanted to fight to keep its look from day 1, which is the reason the decision was made to experiment and avoid a normal film crew approach, instead, get the real photographer and let him do our images and after a very long 2 days we ended up with a collection of photos corrected by him, which were our starting point as survey (photographic) and also for texturing and lighting.

The during the next weeks of heavy 3D work multiple layers were sent to shake to precomp and we revisit our rendering to maximize their output, to the point they felt happy and carry on finessing the job.

In terms of final look, I feel it is very consistent and unique from ad to ad (and there are 12).

Somehow now looking back you realize how radical was the idea in the first place to go this route. Anyway, it worked really well so we are happy.

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2006, 02:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.