PDA

View Full Version : 3D matte painting/camera mapping : what's you 3D app of choice ?

EricM
10-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Hi everyone,

I don't want to start a flame war but was wondering if there was any 3D package that was more userfriendly/widespread than others when it comes to 3D matte paintings and camera projections.

I used Max and find its per-pixel mapping mapping quite convenient, but since I have little experience in other packages, I was curious to know their pros and cons in that particular area.

With the release of Cinema 4D R10 with bodypaint included, it seemed quite an interesting alternative (downloaded the demo, but I still have to get familiar with it) for building/tweaking the geometry and painting directly in the same app. However, I don't know how well it handles camera mapping (or multiple camera mappings for that matter).

Any thoughts on the subject to enlighten me would be appreciated.

beaker
10-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Camera mapping and any type of projection mapping is the most basic of functions in most 3d apps. Just about any package made in the last 10 years can do this easily. Luckily 3d compositors like Nuke and soon DF have added this functionality so we don't have to waste our time in the 3d app.

everlite
10-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Just stick with what you know, if you know max then master those techniques, it's probably easier and more affordable than learning a new program that effectively does the same thing. V10? missed that one. :eek:

- Dave.

EricM
10-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Cinema 4D R10 has been on the frontpage for at least 3 days... I was told Bodypaint's tools were pretty solid and the idea of being able to do everything in one app is rather appealing. Currently I have to go back and forth between photoshop and Max to touch up masks, tweak geometry, correct distortion etc...

As far as all the major packages being able to do camera mapping, I'm pretty sure they all do it to some extent, but for instance the per-pixel camera mapping material introduced in max 8 (or was it 7?)seems a lot better to me than the original camera map modifier. More flexible. Wondered if XSI or Maya or any other had their own tricks to make it even better.

Though multipurpose, sometime some softwares have their area of predilection or weaknesses (modeling, particles, character animation...)

I'll probably keep with Max for now, but that C4D/bodypaint integration and workflow with After Effects looks rather nice for that purpose.

Regards

Eric

cgoz
10-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Camera mapping and any type of projection mapping is the most basic of functions in most 3d apps. Just about any package made in the last 10 years can do this easily. Luckily 3d compositors like Nuke and soon DF have added this functionality so we don't have to waste our time in the 3d app.

fusion for camera mapping?? wow got to use that

Kutkin
10-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Hi,
I use C4D and it handles camera mapping and multiple projections well.

beaker
10-10-2006, 06:30 PM
fusion for camera mapping?? wow got to use thatNot till version 5.1. Thats why I said "soon". :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2006, 06:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.