PDA

View Full Version : User interface discoveries

Jannis
10-06-2006, 04:01 PM
I thought I start this thread reagarding User interface discoveries that might not be found in the manual. I read from Per in another thread that there have been so many changes that might not filter through, other than stambling across them. I for one love the new user interface!

So to start, this is something that I just found out and which is delightful is that the control click fold action does not only fold managers but also palletes. That is so nice!

ThirdEye
10-06-2006, 04:06 PM
here's another one: if you select more than a numeric input and hold ctrl while you use the spinners (or hold ctrl and press enter after you wrote a number) all the numbers get the same value

prayas
10-06-2006, 04:11 PM
each camera does now have an icon behind itself in the object manager. click it to switch this camera active. brilliant new feature

P..:

Jannis
10-06-2006, 04:12 PM
That is fantastic, this is something I wanted for ages from Maya. Zeroing out rotations and sliders is bread and butter in CA, this makes life so much easier

Jannis
10-06-2006, 04:14 PM
each camera does now have an icon behind itself in the object manager. click it to switch this camera active. brilliant new feature

P..:

very nice, can you switch back to the editor with a short cut or do you have to go to the dispaly menu?

ThirdEye
10-06-2006, 04:17 PM
very nice, can you switch back to the editor with a short cut or do you have to go to the dispaly menu?

I think you have to go to the display menu but don't quote me on that. Actually my new.c4d file uses a camera (hidden in the editor) instead of the default editor persp, makes things easier.

moka.studio
10-06-2006, 04:28 PM
full screen view now also shows the view options (Display Type etc..).

AdamT
10-06-2006, 04:33 PM
here's another one: if you select more than a numeric input and hold ctrl while you use the spinners (or hold ctrl and press enter after you wrote a number) all the numbers get the same value
And if you hold down Shift+Control you can change all values in a relative fashion.

ThirdEye
10-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Now the 3D view has only one "pin" icon in the top left right corner instead of having 4 (which didn't make sense). Destroying the layout by mistake is now more difficult.

Rich-Art
10-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Bookemarked this topic.
Great tips Already...

Peace,
Rich-Art. :thumbsup:

RickBarrett
10-06-2006, 04:34 PM

And holding control-shift will move all the values relative to one another.

BTW - this works with spinners, sliders, and even numeric input if you hold control or control-shift when you hit Enter.

AdamT
10-06-2006, 04:35 PM
More object have check marks in the AM for turning on/off, e.g., LIGHTS!

AdamT
10-06-2006, 04:37 PM
OM and Timeline now use OS-standard selection hotkeys, i.e., Control for multiple selections and Shift to select between selected items. This may be my favorite feature in R10. :)

joeski4d
10-06-2006, 04:50 PM

P..:

Sweet! I've always loved Samir's SceneManager plugin for this sort of ability to switch cameras... very cool.

moka.studio
10-06-2006, 04:57 PM
phong tag values are now displayed along with the object's atrributes in the AM

tilo.kuehn
10-06-2006, 05:01 PM
click and drag the visibility dots, checkmark and layer in the objectmanager allows to paint over multiple objects.

cheers
tilo

Srek
10-06-2006, 05:19 PM
phong tag values are now displayed along with the object's atrributes in the AM
This works for all unique tags (tags that can only be applied once)
Cheers
Björn

moka.studio
10-06-2006, 05:22 PM
This works for all unique tags (tags that can only be applied once)
Cheers
Björn

this is quite nice

machmirdenlukas
10-06-2006, 05:26 PM
maybe stupid question: where can i adjust the color of the viewport?

preferences_interface_ colors_?

can`t find it. is it possible in r10 to have different colors for general backround and viewport.
i love the new gui, om and many things more, but i would like to adjust the cool dark sheme by editing the viewportcolor in modostyle.

thank you very much.
machmirdenlukas

moka.studio
10-06-2006, 05:30 PM
preferences_viewport_ colors

Srek
10-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Selection in the viewport has been improved, should be more accurate now.
Cheers
Björn

AdamT
10-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Selection in the viewport has been improved, should be more accurate now.
Cheers
Björn
Ah, good one! Now, when objects overlap, you can click or marquee select part of the inside or behind object and select it. Previously you'd almost always select the surrounding or in-front object.

Jannis
10-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Nice tips!

One I just discover is control+A and control+shift+A select and deselect all the settings in the AM once the manager is in focus without effecting any viewport selection.

It would have been nice if the paint multple option in the OM was also posible in the AM for selecting multiple channels. Maybe it is there?

spirozero
10-06-2006, 06:44 PM
OM and Timeline now use OS-standard selection hotkeys, i.e., Control for multiple selections and Shift to select between selected items. This may be my favorite feature in R10. :)

Nice!

What are the hotkeys for starting & stopping the timeline? Have they changed?

Per-Anders
10-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Control clicking on the "Pin" will fold the window or icon palette it's on

machmirdenlukas
10-06-2006, 09:44 PM
:) preferences_viewport_ colors

..den wald vor lauter bäumen nicht...

imashination
10-06-2006, 10:19 PM
You can now vertically list all tags applied to an object, along with their name, and perhaps the best one: You can now have multiple object managers, these become especially useful when used with filters, because I can have one filtered to only show camera.... I now have a small compact window which lists every camer in the scene, with button next to each to swich the 3d view to it. Ditto for lights, I now have a single light list.

Also we now have the ability to set a root level, so I can make an object manager show only objects which are part of the 'Bob' group, which is where I might keep all my rigged characters

marshalartist
10-06-2006, 11:13 PM
And holding control-shift will move all the values relative to one another.

BTW - this works with spinners, sliders, and even numeric input if you hold control or control-shift when you hit Enter.
This does not seem to work across the board, which seems odd. I tried it with a grid array Cloner object and it does not work for Count or Size. Also it does not work in the Coordanant manager but it works in the AM under Coordanants. It's a nice feature but a bit hit and miss

Per-Anders
10-06-2006, 11:19 PM
This does not seem to work across the board, which seems odd. I tried it with a grid array Cloner object and it does not work for Count or Size. Also it does not work in the Coordanant manager but it works in the AM under Coordanants. It's a nice feature but a bit hit and miss

Sure it does, but you have to have all the channels selected you want to modify, by default the grid array is folded so there's only a single entry to select therefore only one slider will move. You have to choose to show subchannels if you want to be able to multiselect channels.

marshalartist
10-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Wow, thank you I never new the sub channels existed, that is very cool :)

Continuumx
10-07-2006, 03:24 AM
The selection/structure (info manager) is a new feature and overhaul of the structure information from 9.6.

This is very robust!

Reads out all kind of information about objects, selection, structure, and textures from the AM!

Thanks!

fluffouille
10-07-2006, 03:36 AM
The timeline can be switched between keyframes and f-curves by using the spacebar.
When selectinig several f-curve keys, you can now move all the handles at the same time.

Per-Anders
10-07-2006, 03:48 AM
the command manager has been revamped, you can now set more or less as many shortcuts as you want for any tool or command, and even have different shortcuts in different managers or restrictions of access to a tool via a shortcut to specific managers.

rsquires
10-07-2006, 07:28 AM

Hi there

call me a bear with very little brain but I can't seem to get this to work. For instance say I have a cube and I want to make all dimensions 50 rather than the default 200. I click the x value and type 50 then press shift+apple( I have swapped them around as I am on a mac) and then enter. Nothing changes in the other dimensions. What am I doing wrong

regards

rich

Per-Anders
10-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Two problems with that, firstly you have to multiselect the parameters you wish to modify simultaneously (you can select the parent parameter if they're all open, e.g. "Size", but otherwise you must select the individual X, Y and Z channels to move them all at once), and secondly the Apple key isn't the CTRL key (Macs have a CTRL key as well as the Apple key, the Apple key itself is only exchanged with the CTRL key on the PC when copy/pasting etc).

lllab
10-07-2006, 11:33 AM
i love the new layout too, great recourse here. looks like maxon really did think good about making c4d a llot more fluent and professional:-)

looking forward to get my update soon shipped!

cheers
stefan

prayas
10-07-2006, 12:19 PM
The timeline can be switched between keyframes and f-curves by using the spacebar.
When selectinig several f-curve keys, you can now move all the handles at the same time.

that was one thing i didn't figure out in R10. thanks. at first i was lost searching how to get my beloved F-Curves back. Need to play with it now.

Also putting the scaling in X direction on the wheel is a nice feature i must admit i didn't check if it worked in R9 too.

P..:

Jannis
10-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Is there a way to multi change entires in the Structure manager? The control hold+enter does not seem to work here.

For example select a number of points and change theri x position with one entry?

AdamT
10-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Sweet! I've always loved Samir's SceneManager plugin for this sort of ability to switch cameras... very cool.
Me too. Also Rick Barratt was nice enough to write a script for me that takes a camera's p/s/r and fov data and transfers it to the editor camera, as in Scene Manager. I'll ask him if it's okay to post it.

AdamT
10-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Posted this in another thread, but to keep all this stuff in one place:

If you have an object with polys selected, you can drag a material onto it in the editor and Cinema will automatically create a selection tag and assign the material to it. Love that!

JDP
10-07-2006, 02:21 PM

If you have an object with polys selected, you can drag a material onto it in the editor and Cinema will automatically create a selection tag and assign the material to it. Love that!

Nice! :thumbsup:

Holding down alt while using a slider restricts the values to a multiple of 10.

lllab
10-07-2006, 03:16 PM
"If you have an object with polys selected, you can drag a material onto it in the editor and Cinema will automatically create a selection tag and assign the material to it. Love that!"

... ohhooo-thats good!

cheers
stefan

rizon
10-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Configure viewport > Area outside Rendersafe area can now be turned black...

boxy
10-07-2006, 04:21 PM
This thread should be a sticky for a while :)
Boxy

Jannis
10-07-2006, 07:44 PM

Man that is cool!

benytone
10-07-2006, 07:55 PM
AdamT[/b]]
Originally Posted by AdamT

wow, thats cool
thanks

MJV
10-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet but Visual Selector has been greatly improved and integrated into Cinema (as part of Mocca 3 I think) and is another great new organizational tool. It's not just good for CA but is good for organizing selections of objects and tags in any scene. Another cool new thing in R10 is that selection objects can now store tags as well as objects.

fluffouille
10-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet but Visual Selector has been greatly improved and integrated into Cinema (as part of Mocca 3 I think) and is another great new organizational tool. It's not just good for CA but is good for organizing selections of objects and tags in any scene. Another cool new thing in R10 is that selection objects can now store tags as well as objects.
Indeed, VS is a workflow savior :)
You can even run commands when selecting an object!

soccerrprp
10-07-2006, 09:13 PM
[If you have an object with polys selected, you can drag a material onto it in the editor and Cinema will automatically create a selection tag and assign the material to it. Love that!]

Just tried it! SWEET!

Aurety
10-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Sorry, don't know if it's yet posted but now, you can switch off all the materials in the scene with one clic.

Display menu in editor>Layer color.

As you know, with the layer manager, we can add materials to layers too ( right-clic material>add to new layer or if you added one before, you can pu this new material to this layer ) , by this way, we put a color corner in material preview to easily find a group ou material.

spirozero
10-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Sorry, don't know if it's yet posted but now, you can switch off all the materials in the scene with one clic.

Display menu in editor>Layer color.

I've often wondered if this was possible. Can you somehow do this in R9.6?

ThirdEye
10-07-2006, 11:46 PM

not possible

fluffouille
10-08-2006, 03:04 AM
As you know, with the layer manager, we can add materials to layers too ( right-clic material>add to new layer or if you added one before, you can pu this new material to this layer ) , by this way, we put a color corner in material preview to easily find a group ou material.
You can also add tags to layers, and they also show a little colored corner.

Aurety
10-08-2006, 08:36 AM

via the Majoul's plugin, yes : MaskTexture : http://perso.orange.fr/archizone/MaskTexture.htm

ou better with more functionnalities : MrVue from Majoul again : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/archizone/DIVERS/COFFEE/Mr_Vue.zip

ollle
10-08-2006, 09:34 AM
OM:
- With the middle mouse button you can select an object and all of it's childs.
- ALT + MMB: all objects in the same hierarchy level are selected.
- Click with CTRL on the "+" and and the complete tree-branch under is displayed.
- with pressed SHIFT and the cursor-keys, you can expand the selection upwards and downwars.

Rich-Art
10-08-2006, 09:53 AM
That is handy... :)

Peace,
Rich_Art. :thumbsup:

ThirdEye
10-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Nice! :thumbsup:

Holding down alt while using a slider restricts the values to a multiple of 10.

same using the mmb

sandidolsak
10-08-2006, 12:07 PM
As u all might know Ctrl + LMB on that little square folds the window, now try with Alt clicking on that square, it actually folds others (makes this one bigger) in that "group", try object manager and it will fold attributes manager =)

tcastudios
10-08-2006, 08:55 PM
When using Interactive Render, dragging the little arrow up and down sets the detail level.

Cheers
Lennart

machmirdenlukas
10-08-2006, 11:22 PM
hi!
is there a chance to place icons of tags in the ui?
cheers
machmirdenlukas

Per-Anders
10-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Not wihtout using a little COFFEE : (just change the Tphong to whatever tag type you want, create an icon for the script, save and drag to any icon palette.

if (!op) return;
var tag = AllocTag(Tphong);
op->InsertTag(tag);
EventAdd();

JDP
10-09-2006, 01:27 AM
As u all might know Ctrl + LMB on that little square folds the window

Also works with the mmb.

benytone
10-09-2006, 11:06 PM
good good!
thanks to all

rsquires
10-10-2006, 02:08 AM
In xstacy something I appreciate is when holding the apple key and dragging the slider my levels of increment go to .001. This is great for adjusting fillets etc. Is there a way to do this with R10

regards

rich

birdy
10-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Extended Open GL it on my computer a complete disaster.
I have a G5 Quad with 2.5 gig RAM and a Nvidia GeForce 6600.
According to Maxon this should work.
Everytime I turn it on and put in a lightsource and check shadows, the application crashes.

imashination
10-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Extended Open GL it on my computer a complete disaster.
I have a G5 Quad with 2.5 gig RAM and a Nvidia GeForce 6600.
According to Maxon this should work.
Everytime I turn it on and put in a lightsource and check shadows, the application crashes.

edit > prefs > opengl > change Cg to GLSL

The Cg method only works if you install nvidias Cg kit

TimC
10-10-2006, 11:41 AM
click and drag the visibility dots, checkmark and layer in the objectmanager allows to paint over multiple objects.

cheers
tilo

also if you hold alt whilst dragging over the visibility dots it will switch both editor and render simultaneously.

cheers
Tim

TimC
10-10-2006, 12:10 PM
control - click on any level of heirarchy in the OM to expand or collapse the whole heirarchy from there down.

To swap a material shared by many objects, in the material manager select the original material that you want to swap. Choose Function > Select Texture Tags / Objects. Then in the AM you can drag the new material into the link field. (actually you can do this in r9 but I thought it was quite a handy tip).

Tim

tcastudios
10-10-2006, 12:13 PM
edit > prefs > opengl > change Cg to GLSL

The Cg method only works if you install nvidias Cg kit

The original 6600 card does not support the nvidia toolkit.(Says "no" in the preference settings, OGL capabilities)
I get the same crash turning on shadow for an omni light.
So it might be seen as a bug.

Cheers
Lennart

MJV
10-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Did anyone mention that you can have up to four object managers or four timelines open?

ooo
10-10-2006, 12:39 PM
The original 6600 card does not support the nvidia toolkit.(Says "no" in the preference settings, OGL capabilities)
I get the same crash turning on shadow for an omni light.
So it might be seen as a bug.

Cheers
Lennart

Not the proper thread for this issue but now it has started here's my findings on enhanced OpenGL. In my case G5 with 7800 GT it also says no for CG toolkit, I don't get a crash with shadows on omni but there is a spinning beachball for some seconds everytime I try to move things in viewport. No shadows visible tho and some very strange lightning going on. With a spotlight the shadows work OK. Besides i cannot choose between CG to GLSL (CG is selected but cannot be unselected). For my G5 with Ati X800 no crashes but there are no shadows visible with omnilight, only with spot.

odo

TimC
10-10-2006, 01:12 PM
keyframe selections now work with regular keying (i.e. not autokey)

Just right click on the parameter and choose animation - add to keyframe selection. The parameter will highlight to show it is part of a selection.

Now switch off the buttons to record PSR and leave the parameter button active. Hit record and the selected parameters will be keyed. I'm pretty sure this only worked with auto keying in r9 and below.

cheers
Tim

Ernest Burden
10-10-2006, 02:52 PM
A question:

When using a file open dialog (WinOS) in R10 is there a checkbox or pulldown to force only *.c4d files? I'm tired of having to type in "*.c4d". In older versions you can choose 'just' 3D formats, but that often lists lots of files I don't want to see. I never asked for this GUI feature formally before, just wondering.

AdamT
10-10-2006, 03:05 PM
A question:

When using a file open dialog (WinOS) in R10 is there a checkbox or pulldown to force only *.c4d files? I'm tired of having to type in "*.c4d". In older versions you can choose 'just' 3D formats, but that often lists lots of files I don't want to see. I never asked for this GUI feature formally before, just wondering.
No, but it's a good idea.

soccerrprp
10-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Did anyone mention that you can have up to four object managers or four timelines open?

Michael,

Cool! Hey, I can readily see the obvious reason to have multiple anything open, but why would you want multiple object managers open? (Just for expansion so that you can see everything at once?). Also, having multiple time-lines...so, one can have timelines of various points of your animation? Expansion so that you can see the entire animation at once?

Just need some guidance for best use.

Thanks!:D

LucentDreams
10-10-2006, 05:05 PM
best use is however you need it

Some examples of multiple OM use.

Well first off all you can sort your OM many ways now, like filtering, setting a specific object as root vertical tags etc.

So if you have a scene but need to focus on a specific object with a lot of selection tags, you can have one OM for the entire scene with horizontal tags, and a second OM with your specific obejct set as root, and vertical tags so you see its selection tags with names.

Another good example is in Rigging where your dealign with a hierarchy of controller obejcts, a hierarchy of skeleton, and a hierarchy of mesh and deformers. Often you need to drag an object form the skeleton intoa constraint for a controller or vice versa, having to scroll through these is a very tedious process, having two side by side makes this a lot easier.

A third example is when one has multiple characters, one could have one characters controllers in one OM and the other characters Controllers in the other OM.

For the timeline, the easiest example is simly having both a timeline and Fcurve editor at the same time. Also thigns like dedicating a timeline to each character in a scene, and a third for environmental elements that are animated.

Plenty of cotnrol, so theres plenty of methods of working.

MJV
10-10-2006, 09:19 PM
You can have multiple timeline sliders docked in the layout. I use two. One linked to preview time and one unlinked.

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2006, 09:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.