PDA

View Full Version : particle cloud and cloudprocedural

persa
10-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Hello.
Im doing some particle tests and have assigned a 3d cloudtexture to the particle clouds transparency and maya maps it automatically to the life transp aswell. It looks swell on still pictures but when i render it the internal cloudmotion (coming from the 3d cloud texture im guessing) is to rapid. Is there any way to make the 3d cloud texture or what is effecting the particle cloud to animate more slowly?

/per

persa
10-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Hmm no answers :/
Does anyone have any other good solution to get more detail out of the cloudshader, just tweaking the built-in noise doesnt seem to do it for me.
Any good cloudshading tutorials out there perhaps, just saw that a new gnomon dvd with some info about the cloud shader came out.

mindsample
10-10-2006, 01:45 PM
the standard 3d cloud texture does not have any internal motion attribute. The motion you are seeing got nothing to do with the attributes of the texture, but with the fact that the cloud is a _3D_ texture. That means that the cloud texture swims over the particles, i.e. you experience weird effects.
One way to reduce the effect is to scale the texture - less rapid changes for the moving particles, or to use a 2d texture instead. Also, I am not sure if a texture reference object works with particles, but it can be used to "lock" a 3d texture to an object.

In simple words, I'd scale up the texture via the placement node, and see if it works visually. If it doesnt, use a combination of 2d nodes.

Pyrokinesis
10-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Check out Gnomons new DVD on Outer Space Dynamics. There is a section which deals specifically with cloud particles, and its many options, most of which you may not think to change, but can yield beautiful results.

azshall
10-13-2006, 09:33 PM
You most certainly can use a 3D texture on particle clouds. You just have to make sure under the "Effects" drop down tab in the Attribute Editor that you click on 'Local' .. this will get rid of the swimming. Albeit, it may not be as random, but it will look nicer than a 2D texture..

Seth

CGTalk Moderation
10-13-2006, 09:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.