PDA

View Full Version : Up My Alley - Environment

Testament
10-06-2006, 01:13 PM
No! You sickos. Not "that" alley!

Err. Well I had to do this alley in a week and yesterday was the deadline. Unfourtunately I couldn't finish it it they way I wanted it to be. And I couldn't finalize the lighting either :( , ran out of time And I had to take off some stuff cus 3DsMax decided to scre me over at the last minute...

Regardless, here's what I could finish. The triangle count is 7867.
I don't know how much more I'm gonna work on it ..I'll probably just add a few of the details I wanted to finish, fix some stuff and move on to something else. Maybe I'll do some more, who knows. C & C is welcomed. Thanks.

Render:
http://topazsunset.com/images/misc/alley/wip35.jpg

Wires:

http://topazsunset.com/images/misc/alley/wire/alleywire1.jpg

http://topazsunset.com/images/misc/alley/wire/alleywire2.jpg

pongstah
10-06-2006, 04:38 PM
textures look real nice!

onelung
10-06-2006, 04:51 PM
this is really nice, and i would say you only need to do a tad to make it a really solid port piece.

The cable on the right wall, has a hard angel coming off that wall... if you could just add one more ring to soften that i think it would help tons.

There is age on the buildings.. but not age in the cracks between the building and the ground... so it looks like it just intersects each other... adding some grunge here and there, and maybe carrying the flower arangement on the railing, possibly spreeading it out a tad more.. it feels like it was just stuck there... unlike all the rest of your plants, which feel like someone put them there to decorate..

lookin awesome man, just a few crits, best of luck

Gamedev
10-06-2006, 05:53 PM
I would say spend the additional time and get this perfected for your portfolio before moving on. A couple of things stand out to me thus far. First is the plant / foliage hanging over the railing looks really fake mainly because its evenly lit and I have no idea how it would just grow there. You could show some more of the plant crawling up the railing rather than just growing on top of it. I would also say the flowers in the window look fake as well. Try using some vertex color in the middle to fake some depth. Next are the walls. With the exception of the archway which looks pretty good, the rest look really smooth. They could use a bump / normal map to give some depth as well as some real cracks. Chip the corners, show exposed brick, etc. My last comment would be about the layout of the foreground. There is a 'walkway' to the right and then it just goes off to a shingle roof. Kinda strange. I could see a railing here along the roof side or something that indicates its a walkway. Just a thought.

Over all the texture work is decent though It could be pushed in areas. You've already talked about the lighting and I dont think its too far off, you're just missing the hot spots and dark spots because as of now the lighting has very little contrast. Finish strong then move on!

Good luck!

Testament
10-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Hey thanks for the crits guys. This wasn't meant to be a portfolio piece, just a test, (that's why i had a deadline of 1 week) that's why everything is kinda low quality, but since you guy's mentioned the areas that are actually the ones that I left unfinished i guess I will finish it and use it as a portfolio piece.

Onelung and Gamedev, agreed completely, Like I said, the walls ,etc. I was going to add decals for all of them, etc. But like I said I didn't have time to finish it. I actually had a few decals in already, but as I mentioned 3dsmax screwed me over and destroyed my composite material and my UV map stack then corrupted my file (thank god i had like 90 backup copies hehe), so I didnt have itme to fix em up again, the rest I jsut didn't have time to make. As for where the buildings meet the ground, I got that partly covered already, the texture has that detail already but it's under the ground plane.

Edit: this is what i mean:
http://www.topazsunset.com/images/misc/alley/ground.jpg

Didn't have time to fix it up properly again after my mapping stack got screwed =/. I also had vertex color on the ground (that's why it's subdivided more than it needs to be) but i changed the main texture at the last minute and didn't have time to create the dirty blending one.

The flowers on the rail! Yeah I hate 'em too! I put them there last minute, only because I had made a texture for it on the flowers plants texture sheet and I didn't want to waste it, i guess I shouldve wasted it.

I don't understand what you mean about the layout of the foregorund building. That area kinda just dies since it wasnt mean't to be seen by the camera. so there's no detail there. However, seeing as you guys had the same viewpoint I did, I'll finish it the way I meant to do it and post some more WIPs for another round of crits, wich are much appreciated.

I'm suprised you guys didn't noticed that the cable from the phan is untextured haha.

Thanks again, I'll go ahed and finish finsh some work on this.

boytoy
10-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Looks really cool.
One suggestion i can make is that you could render out an occlusion pass and add it to the texture. As well as a lightmap. :D It would make it look real perty. :D

ChimpanG
10-07-2006, 06:42 PM
looks fantastic, with some tweaking it'd be great :D
i assume you used a texture CD for the base textures as they look familiar, could you tell me what one?

Testament
10-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Glandolina: Absolutely. As I was under a tight schedule, I couldn't afford to do everything from scratch, so most of the tiling textures were composed from textures taken from www.cgtextures.com (http://www.cgtextures.com)
Some of the flowers were from Mayang's (http://www.mayang.com/textures/).
I still had to make some of them from scratch, but not a whole lot.

I've got some time tonight, so I'll probably start adding some of the things I wanted to finish.

BTW, how's guitar practice going?

boytoy: Thanks for the tips man. I'll be trying some lightmaps when I redo the lighting. We'll see how it ends up.

Thanks guys.

ChimpanG
10-08-2006, 06:37 PM
course :)
guitar's going great :) you've not been on msn in a while

CGTalk Moderation
10-08-2006, 06:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.