PDA

View Full Version : LowPoly(?) Character

Tzoee
10-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi, this is my very first attempt to make a character,and I really need Yours crit:) Especially for topology. Anyway, crit anything U want) crit me with all the rage U have)

thanx)

Tzoee
10-06-2006, 03:08 PM
hmm..39 views and no comments? is it normal , or my model is so bad?))

ill_logic
10-06-2006, 03:15 PM
patience is a virtue. lol you only posted it 4 hours ago, give it time.
it looks ok, the way the arms sort of bulge at the armpit seems a bit odd to me, so i'd suggest shaping it a bit better. and his face seems a bit more cartoonish than the concept art. but other than that, it's still pretty early to be making comments, so keep at it & keep posting

-J

blacker
10-06-2006, 07:34 PM
hmm..39 views and no comments? is it normal , or my model is so bad?))

This is usually the case. I hate to say it, but unless you consistently turn out kickass work, people are more apt to pass you by. In addition, the more of a presence you become on the board (the more you post on other folks' work) the more people are interested in your work. I wish it were a bit different, but the WIP section tends to be about 60-70% a "look what I'm doing" section and 30-40% a "how's this looking, any help?" section.

I think your doing very well for a first character. As ill_logic said, the arms are a bit funky right now. The face does look cartoony, but I think you're not really aiming for realism. Keep it up! Keep posting. The more people see of your thread, the more comments you'll get, and you'll get FAR more comments if you consistently pump out updates and improvements.

One other thing which tends to attract more people are actual linked pictures, rather than attaching to the post. If you can host your pictures from another site, they'll appear in the message without the attachments bar.

psychojohno
10-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Its awesome :thumbsup: I dont know much about edge loops etc so i cant really comment on that but its a cool design and a nice looking model! Dont worry about people not posting replies to your work. As blacker said you get more replies once you have been a part of the forums longer and you start helping other people out. Although some people just seem to get a lot of helpfull advice even though they dont help anyone out.

keep with the updates :thumbsup:

Tzoee
10-07-2006, 10:27 AM
to ill_logic --- yes, i'm not really patient human being ))

to blacker --- thanx a lot, i did'n know how to insert picture into post :)
" but I think you're not really aiming for realism." yes, its not a "human anatomy", and now i see that it was a big mistake not to think over its construction before modeling...

to psychojohno ---- thanx:)

Tzoee
10-07-2006, 10:38 AM
and here's an update )

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8381/goowiresmallod0.jpg

topology is more chaotic than "logical"..i know...its bad. and i gonna remake it all. why i post this one? maybe i just dont see some mistakes, and hope you'll see them :)

anatomy is bad..topoloy is bad too..what else is bad i dont know)

its all a little less than 4000 triangles. is that LowPoly, or not?

blacker
10-08-2006, 07:29 PM
and here's an update )

topology is more chaotic than "logical"..i know...its bad. and i gonna remake it all. why i post this one? maybe i just dont see some mistakes, and hope you'll see them :)

anatomy is bad..topoloy is bad too..what else is bad i dont know)

its all a little less than 4000 triangles. is that LowPoly, or not?

Yeah, you could stand to push and pull some vertices. You need to make sure they're not just uniform, make sure they all add shape to the form and follow the natural flow of muscles and tissue. I wouldn't worry too much about the anatomy. It's looking pretty decent although there are still some areas that need a bit of work. The back of the arm is still kind of bulgey. I'd start off by making sure the arm-pit looks like it could bend correctly, then pull some of your vertices to define the back area. The other part I think could use some work is the lower leg (the middle part that goes back from the knee. It's looking pretty thin and sorta rectangular.

4000 tris is still considered low-poly.

Overall, this is a VERY nice first attempt. I think when you finish this model you'll have an even better starting point for the next model. I'd urge you to complete this model.. I've got so many models which I started, but never UV unwrapped or textured. The sooner you try all the aspects of it together, the quicker you'll improve. I always thought that first I'd get good at the modeling, then I'd get good at the texturing, then the rigging.. but I realized that you've got to look at the whole picture or you'll just end up wasting time.. I got better at modeling and then realized (when I tried to unwrap and texture it) that I could have done a MUCH better job if I had thought about how I would texture the model.. (where to put seams, etc.) I'm sure the same will happen when I get on to rigging.

What modeling program are you using?

tin-tin
10-08-2006, 11:05 PM
I like the flow of the polygons on the front but the back is a bit messy, there are some loops that are not doing anything to the models silhouette, its looking good so far.

Cyborgguineapig
10-08-2006, 11:34 PM
If you are unsure whether or not some places of your mesh are a little messy and don't flow well you could always apply a Relax to that area to even out the spacing bewteen polygons. Relax does wonders for helping you achieve smooth poly tapology. At least for me it does.

Also some parts of your mesh (wrists/forearm) for example still seem a little boxy and need to be rounded out a bit more. Also there are some parts of your mesh, the muscles of the neck which are too literal extrusions. I guess what I mean by that is for instance, the tendons on the neck look like boxes rather than organic forms. A lot of it, as people mentioned comes down to moving verts around here and there.

Tzoee
10-09-2006, 10:49 AM
2 blacker---
" I've got so many models which I started, but never UV unwrapped or textured." the same situation with drawings i have:)
" but I realized that you've got to look at the whole picture or you'll just end up wasting time.. I got better at modeling and then realized (when I tried to unwrap and texture it) that I could have done a MUCH better job if I had thought about how I would texture the model.. (where to put seams, etc.) I'm sure the same will happen when I get on to rigging." I had very suspect that. the same thing wuth the clean modeling i think, if you dont have in mind topology of legs, its hard to make a torso)
and i'm using 3dsmax)

2 Cyborgguineapig ---
thanks for Relax) it works nice
"Also some parts of your mesh (wrists/forearm) for example still seem a little boxy and need to be rounded out a bit more. Also there are some parts of your mesh, the muscles of the neck which are too literal extrusions. I guess what I mean by that is for instance, the tendons on the neck look like boxes rather than organic forms."
yeah, I had seen that only after i finished it) coz of that I gonna make new one today or tomorrow(it still takes a lot of time, for me)

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2006, 10:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.