PDA

View Full Version : Can the UV Editor UI be tweaked, so it has a shelf?

Haider of Sweden
10-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Hello,

I have seen MEL scripts like the ones from Dave Keegan where you can create external shelves (he calls it, break-out shelf).
So I have some questions:

1. Can you make a new shelf, that isnt visible among the other shelves, but visible in a UI of your own?
2. Can the UI of the script editor be tweaked so that a shelf can be put there, for example beneath the existing buttons? The shelf itself can be one of the existing, or like in question 1, a completely different shelf_??.mel file that is only visible in the UV Editor.

I got this idea recently, and I think it can take the maya UI to completely new hights.
Since the shelve-mechanism itself seem to be very flexible - like the example about the Keegan-script I mentioned before - then I am sure a shelf can be attached here and there.

Thank you in advance.

Haider of Sweden
11-23-2006, 09:13 AM
Hello

I was looking for the MEL file that defines the UV Texture Editor. I couldnt find anything. I tried with whatIs TextureViewWindow; with no luck.

My idea was to try to figure out how the UV editor is built up, and then learn how ShelfWindow, a script that I found at HighEnd3d:
http://Highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/interface_display/4281.html

Lets start with figuring out how I can find the UVTexture Editor mel-file.

Thanx!

cpan
11-23-2006, 10:48 AM
heya Haider :)

the texture editor toolbar script is in scripts/others/textureWindowCreateToolBar.mel.
Just edit that one and comment the whole buttons part and add your own shelf layout instead.

cheers!

Haider of Sweden
11-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Hey there Yashu!

grr - I was looking in the startup-folder - no wonder I didnt find anything.
Do you have a clue how to search and find stuff? Sometimes I use the whatIs command, while sometimes, I search inside the mel-files for a specific text-string.
Maybe there are other ways to track down a specific file?

edit: I will leave the buttons there. I will instead see if there is a way to build in a shelf as a complement. That will be cool - I will have the old buttons there, but also be able to put own stuff in the shelf. Easy and quickly reachable.

cpan
11-23-2006, 11:23 AM
yep, generaly i just search related strings (buttons label, words from its annotation, etc) in the scripts dir, and for commands i allways use the whatIs command ;)

edit: I will leave the buttons there. I will instead see if there is a way to build in a shelf as a complement. That will be cool - I will have the old buttons there, but also be able to put own stuff in the shelf. Easy and quickly reachable.

nice idea, that's what Alias should do with all the toolbars in maya's interface... let the user fastly customise the basic aspects of the interface w/o knowing MEL :)

as for having both the old toolbar and the shelf stacked together, this shouldnt be a problem.
you can use a row layout to put the shelf first and on the right side put the old buttons.

oh, also you may be aware of, but there's also a selection sensitive marking menu for the UV Texture editor too: shift+rmb for selection related commands and ctrl+rmb for conversion commands :)

cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
11-23-2006, 11:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.