PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about rigging in XSI

Womball
10-06-2006, 06:36 AM
I'm currently modelling a character that is composed of several different objects with different UV's per object. Can you envelop all of the parts of the character to one rig? The character will be animated in a ~6 minute short (my senior thesis), so I will need things to work reliably. Should eyes, teeth tongue and mouth sacs be combined into one mesh with multiple uv's or kept seperate? The character also has a helmut, belt and some other spacesuit objects (not quite finalized yet). I will be doing some facial animation as well as cartoony animation to.

The main rig for this character is going to be a modified 3dquakers rig.

ThE_JacO
10-06-2006, 06:46 AM
there's no problem whatsoever in having separate meshes, each will have its own properties and maps, and that's it.
it's done day in and day out for jobs from small time commercials to feature films.

what made you think it could become a problem?

Womball
10-06-2006, 08:44 PM
This is from using blender, but when I have had multiple meshes, sometimes eyes would pop off the rigs and float several units off the bone they are attached to. Also figuring out how to envelop and weight paint the teeth, tongue and mouth sac was tricky. XSI seems to have a lot more options though so I hope that's not an issue. Is it better to just use blendshapes for facial animation (cartoony style) or using bones, weight painting them individually to get a contraction movement of the mesh?? I heard bones had better arcs, not sure what other advantages they have. But blendshapes (or whatever the term for morph target like replacement heads is in XSI) are fast to set up.

Womball
10-08-2006, 03:34 AM
Here is another rigging related question.

How do you adjust the axis of the bones if they for some reason get rotated incorrecly. So whenever you bend the leg the knee rotates inward a lot which it shouldn't do. And how to show the axis of the bones?

CGTalk Moderation
10-08-2006, 03:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.