PDA

View Full Version : Lucas talks Clone Wars

RobertoOrtiz
10-06-2006, 04:51 AM
QUOTE:
"Lucas said Wednesday he is making an animated TV series called "Clone Wars" that could air next year, although he hasn't sold the show to a network yet.

The series is set during the time when the Republic is fighting a civil war against separatists led by the infamous Count Dooku.

The mythic period hasn't been dealt with too much in the popular "Star Wars" movies, so "it's a fun place to go," Lucas said.

"It basically has all the main characters" such as Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, Lucas said, but the stars who played them in the movies won't voice them for the TV show.

"There's nobody famous," Lucas told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

The show is planned as a continuation of the Emmy-winning "Clone Wars" that aired in 25 episodes on the Cartoon Network from 2003 to 2005. That series used limited animation. The new version will use 3-D computer graphics.
"
>>LINK<< (http://www.dailycomet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061004/APN/610041917)
-R

DZL
10-06-2006, 07:20 AM
QUOTE:"It basically has all the main characters" such as Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, Lucas said, but the stars who played them in the movies won't voice them for the TV show.

"There's nobody famous," Lucas told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

HAHAHA... nobody famous, because they would actually cost him some money...

DZL
10-06-2006, 07:29 AM
QUOTE:The show is planned as a continuation of the Emmy-winning "Clone Wars" that aired in 25 episodes on the Cartoon Network from 2003 to 2005. That series used limited animation. The new version will use 3-D computer graphics.
"

no doubt done by his new Animation studio in Singapore - where he has to pay his workers very little:

LINK (http://www.payscale.com/salary-survey/fid-7170)

I couldn't find an animators salary specifically, but you get the idea.

edit: found it: (scroll down to 'multi-media artist and animator)

LINK 2 (http://www.contactsingapore.org.sg/oppor_careers_salaries.shtml)

around 24K a year - george, you big spender!!

3D, in george's mind, is great because he can pay animators low wages, and he doesn't have to create sets, props, hire a production crew, hire actors -- and still charge some network an obscene amount of money to air his new clonewars show!

my question is: when will the new clonewars tv show merchandise be sold on starwars.com??

Spater
10-06-2006, 07:48 AM
no doubt done by his new Animation studio in Singapore - where he has to pay his workers very little:

LINK (http://www.payscale.com/salary-survey/fid-7170)

I couldn't find an animators salary specifically, but you get the idea.

edit: found it: (scroll down to 'multi-media artist and animator)

LINK 2 (http://www.contactsingapore.org.sg/oppor_careers_salaries.shtml)

around 24K a year - george, you big spender!!

3D, in george's mind, is great because he can pay animators low wages, and he doesn't have to create sets, props, hire a production crew, hire actors -- and still charge some network an obscene amount of money to air his new clonewars show!

my question is: when will the new clonewars tv show merchandise be sold on starwars.com??

Outsourcing animation is nothing new, many companies do it.
Does that mean I agree with it? No.
But you shouldn't single out Lucas. You seem to have some pent up angst there.

DZL
10-06-2006, 07:54 AM
But you shouldn't single out Lucas. You seem to have some pent up angst there.

well, the article was about lucas - i'm not singling him out - just staying on topic!

it's not about outsourcing either - its about lucas' overall philosophy - he's a businessman 1st and foremost.

Spater
10-06-2006, 07:58 AM
well, the article was about lucas - i'm not singling him out - just staying on topic!

it's not about outsourcing either - its about lucas' overall philosophy - he's a businessman 1st and foremost.
All I know is that if these are anything like the clone wars shorts, I will be one happy camper come time for Saturday morning cartoons once again.

Lamster
10-06-2006, 08:24 AM
no doubt done by his new Animation studio in Singapore - where he has to pay his workers very little

Very little is quite a relative statement my good man. Singapore isn't exactly the cheapest place in the world to do animation in my humble opinion.

Just standing up for me fellows heh.

Terence

Breinmeester
10-06-2006, 09:38 AM
I do not get what is supposed to be wrong with his production methods. I'm glad he makes animation for television affordable enough to produce quality.
Outsourcing will stabilize the world's economic balance. That's a good thing.

joie
10-06-2006, 09:59 AM
24k $ for a year?, thatīs not cheap, I donīt know whatīs the salary there in the USA, but here in Spain, youīd kill for a 24k$ salary in a year for sure.

RuinedMessiah
10-06-2006, 02:15 PM
I love how he used the term "Limited animation." Gendy did a damn good job with that and actually made something that was infinately more entertaining than episodes 1-3. As for limited, it was stylized and well done. It would take 100 hours of his chrome ship fetish scenes to equal 1 minute of the Clone Wars animation.

Note to Lucas: Even Photoshop can chrome things nowadays. Chrome lost it's impact shortly after Flight of the Navigator.

sstreaker
10-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Gendy did a damn good job with that and actually made something that was infinately more entertaining than episodes 1-3.

Completely agree with you there. I thought his style was really refreshing for a franchise that always has loads of super detailed droids and a bunch of tech-kibble decorating every wall. I'm kinda sad that he and his crew won't be continuing to work on the show. Hopefully they'll try and keep his visual style.

NanoGator
10-06-2006, 03:34 PM
I love how he used the term "Limited animation." Gendy did a damn good job with that and actually made something that was infinately more entertaining than episodes 1-3. As for limited, it was stylized and well done. It would take 100 hours of his chrome ship fetish scenes to equal 1 minute of the Clone Wars animation.

Bingo. I caught a couple of eps of Clone Wars and was very entertained. I honestly think they should have put that in theaters instead of what we got. :shrug:

Loewi
10-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Maybe they refer to limited '3d' animation in that comment, since the show had some but it was very subtle.

As for Gendy, he's doing features for the orphanage so it's all good we'll get our fix :)

sstreaker
10-06-2006, 04:09 PM
As for Gendy, he's doing features for the orphanage so it's all good we'll get our fix :)

Cool. I know they he's working with them on the Dark Crystal sequel. Sould be interesting, and I hope that he still keeps on doing 2D also.

DZL
10-06-2006, 05:47 PM
24k $ for a year?, thatīs not cheap, I donīt know whatīs the salary there in the USA, but here in Spain, youīd kill for a 24k$ salary in a year for sure.

trust me, you can't live on that in the states - especially where lucasfilm is headquartered - the san francisco area --

and nothing against singapore - i'm just commenting on what i see is a cost-cutting approach that really hurts the quality of the work -

weren't you bothered by the obvious greenscreens and CG effects in the prequels? i know i was -- there is something to be said about real sets, props, and actors -

Loewi
10-06-2006, 05:56 PM
weren't you bothered by the obvious greenscreens and CG effects in the prequels? i know i was -- there is something to be said about real sets, props, and actors -

i wasnt bothered by the effects themselves more how they were used, and secondly its a cg series.. not gonna be much happening in terms of sets, props or actors.

Another thing is that the hiring process for the singapur shop is still done internationally, it's less of a hassle to get people green cards for singapur than the states.

Stahlberg
10-06-2006, 06:39 PM
DZL, many members here aren't Americans, and many of those are quite possibly entirely 100% for outsourcing if it means they might one day get to work on a Lucas project. :) It's even possible that some members might be personally insulted by your comments about Singapore being cheap and the quality of work lower there. So I think you should probably drop this whole 'outsourcing' line of argument for now.

SuperJuanMiguel
10-06-2006, 10:48 PM
I would love to have this sort of opportunity here in Brazil. Our animation market is grwoing like crasy.

JM

pgill
10-07-2006, 01:51 AM
I actually think you can get better results by outsourcing within the confines of a given budget. For the same amount of outlay you can afford more of the top artists than you would in a realtively more expensive economy. And the top guys out there are as good as the top guys anywhere, the price differential is not in quality but in currency in this case.

Its similar to the whole outsourcing of call centres here in the uk...we now go through many call centres based in India, where being a call centre operator is a graduate career. Great for me as I'd rather speak to intelligent and articulate people when I need to sort something out on the phone anyday...wheras in the UK the same positions are given to people who are not quite as interested in the job.

The technological developments are paving the way for a global production pipeline!

paul

Derrik
10-07-2006, 03:43 AM
Outsourcing also lowers quality control standards and you get junk that is made in China.

Snowstorm
10-07-2006, 04:11 AM
I'd like to raise a few points:

1. Outsourcing does not mean a degradation of quality. There are probably Chinese teams that could do better CG than certain US studios. Perhaps even Chinese individuals. What is the discrimination against the Chinese for? If US amateurs can reach professional standards, so can Chinese, and so can Singaporeans, there is nothing preventing them, no genetics, cultural, software nor hardware limitations. This impression that people have that Chinese products are inferior is rather puzzling. Granted, in Singapore the animation studios are not all that good, but look at Egg Story studios, the founder of which worked on The Matrix: Reloaded. Who then is anyone to say that the people that this work is being outsourced to are inferior with their work quality?

2. Notions that it might be done at Lucasfilm Singapore are just rumours, nothing concrete. Probable, but not entirely confirmed AFAIK. There are far cheaper places to locate if you want to set up animation sweatshops.

3. a US$2k per month pay here is already bloody good for an animator. Our national currency is 1.6x USD, and that would put 2k at about.... 3.2k per month in Sing$. Considering that the starting pay for an animator here is approx 2.4k per month in Sing$ most would be quite satisfied with a 24k USD pay per year.

ManuelM
10-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Outsourcing also lowers quality control standards and you get junk that is made in China.

if you think its like that then please buy only USA products from know on. lets see how many days you can survive.

kungfuelmosan
10-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Tuche! verry well executed responses!

Would lucas even need to outsource for budgeting reasons? come on - dah!

this series could be made with paper cut-outs (kudos to southpark guys) and still have a cultist following!

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2006, 02:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.