PDA

View Full Version : poly boolean error

digitalguest
10-06-2006, 04:19 AM
i did this boolean DIFFERENCE, between the cilinder and the sphere, but i can fix why does this lines appear ( the blue ones), more detail or subdivision the cilinder has more stressed lines appear, could some one explain me why is this happening and what i should do to it correctly?
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/digitalguest/boolean.jpg

many thanks

erwinl
10-06-2006, 07:29 AM
Couldn't it be that all the different Booleans affect each other?
In that case it would be better to just Boolean a single segment and then duplicate and merge to make the entire structure.
Also I have found that sometimes the points of a sharp corner will not be attached to another point with an edge (at least not all around). In that case you also got stretch lines and even holes when subdividing. But that is easily countered by adding edges to properly connect it to other points.

Greetings

Erwin

Mic_Ma
10-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Boleans are often messy, especially with precise, hard shapes. In this case I would be tempted to make one clean bolean segment (maybe even using 2 splines and make a surface mesh) and then copy-rotate the whole thing x times.

digitalguest
10-06-2006, 01:00 PM
thanks for the answers guys but as far i understand you said that i should do one sphere-cylinder boolean operation and then rotate de cylinder and do it over and over, im ok with that the problem is that in the picture i didnt apply more than one boolean operation so if its just one what happened that? , im going to try to the boolean with one of the sphere pole i mean the last vertice outside of the boolean, what i said do the boolean with a side of the sphere. if you have another idea let me know please...
thanks anyway

digitalguest
10-06-2006, 01:03 PM
thanks for the answers guys but as far i understand you said that i should do one sphere-cylinder boolean operation and then rotate de cylinder and do it over and over, im ok with that the problem is that in the picture i didnt apply more than one boolean operation so if its just one what happened that? , im going to try to the boolean with one of the sphere pole i mean the last vertice outside of the boolean, what i said do the boolean with a side of the sphere. if you have another idea let me know please...
thanks anyway

digitalguest
10-06-2006, 11:01 PM
even if i rotate the pole of the sphere im going to obatain the same result as before, why boolean operation are so complicated in xsi i can remember in maya wasnt that much, exist any other solution to carve 24 smooth holes y that cylinder?

thank you

elfdestruct
10-07-2006, 06:28 AM
I believe they advised to cut up the original cylinder mesh before the boolean operation. Then duplicate & rotate that section, until you have a complete cylinder again.

In this way, if there is a polygonal mess, you have far less cleaning up to do initially.

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2006, 06:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.