PDA

View Full Version : What modeling method is the best?

diginime
10-06-2006, 02:29 AM
Hi guys, there are so many method for organic modeling,which one is the best the most use? Box modeling, curve...etc. Which one is the most use among modeler?

Cronholio
10-06-2006, 02:44 AM
All modeling methods are the same. It's an additive process and when you get down to it all you are doing is adding points and moving them into position, no matter what surface type you use.

Kanga
10-06-2006, 02:47 AM
I don't think there is a best method. Modellers use as many different techniques as there are apps. Even within normal level programs you are free to choose several methods. People bounce between applications with even one model,... oh and it gets worse there are those who mix techniques as well.

Confused?
Me 2
:)

diginime
10-06-2006, 02:49 AM
I don't think there is a best method. Modellers use as many different techniques as there are apps. Even within normal level programs you are free to choose several methods. People bounce between applications with even one model,... oh and it gets worse there are those who mix techniques as well.

Confused?
Me 2
:)

yeah...confused..haha:) But the thing i'm talking about not the software, is the method. I mean maybe some people use sphere to start, some use cube and some use curve to start, but which one is the most used among modeler?

RabidDonkey
10-06-2006, 02:52 AM
Modellers use as many different [methods] as there are apps.
The answer to your question is right there...

aeres
10-06-2006, 03:07 AM
I start with a vertex. No, seriously.

different objects can be approached differently, but most importantly in the end it boils down to your preference. Some people model vehicles with NURBS, some model them with subD, it depends on which method you are comfortable with and you feel you can deliver the best result.

Kanga
10-06-2006, 08:42 AM
yeah...confused..haha:) But the thing i'm talking about not the software, is the method. I mean maybe some people use sphere to start, some use cube and some use curve to start, but which one is the most used among modeler?

Yeah I know,.... one of my students asked me the same question. I would venture to say that box modelling would probably be the most used but thats only a guess. One of the more advanced kids starts from one poly and hates the box technique with a passion:). I am a box modeller but I use splines, lofting ,lathing,...etc when I need it. I modelled with splines for about 6 years but for organics dont find them superior. I told my kids there isn't one way to do things and encouraged them to try as many different methods as they can so they can choose later.

SamSed
10-06-2006, 09:37 AM
I guess it depends on the model , for example:

Human heads : poly modeling
Some human body part : spline+surface and then edit poly
Organic looking vehicules : splines or Nurbs

Don't know but i never used box modeling , i begin with a simple plane , i guess it gives me more control moving verticies/extruding edges...than using a box as a base then adding edge loops/cuting.....

newellteapot
10-06-2006, 01:38 PM
In some cases you can use more techniques.

You can for example use nurbs to start with, as they are smooth and organic looking, and use them as a reference to arrange the vertices of the polys, or you can convert the nurbs into polys directly.
For organics, mudbox and zbrush are brilliant.

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2006, 01:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.