PDA

View Full Version : Text Geometry

kriscabrera
10-06-2006, 02:53 AM
Hey guys i am trying to get some geometry on some text to get a nice smothed text and its kinda of painful to go in and cut edges myself any ideas?

polygun
10-06-2006, 03:57 AM
Can you be more specific? Perhaps show some examples and screenshots of your attempt?

gringer
10-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Hi there,

Since your question is a little vague, I will offer a suggestion based on what I think you're after. Forgive me if you already know how to do this.

In the create panel, choose the shapes tab, (I know you're using MAX from your post below this one) select text, and click somewhere in a viewport. Click on the modify tab (the bent tube icon), with the text still selected. On the lower right hand side, you should see a largish box with the words ''MAX text" in it. Replace those words with whatever you want.

Now, back up the top of the right hand side, there is a drop down menu which reads "modifier list". Click the arrow on the right hand side and choose the "bevel" modifier. Play with the settings and learn how it works.

I hope this is what you're after, if not I apologize.

Cheers :D

kriscabrera
10-06-2006, 01:04 PM
sry for the misunderstanding but heres a screen shot i am trying to get the corners on the text to look like the box corners smooth, is there any way to get the text corners like that but still readable, because if i smooth the text now its just looks like crap.

newellteapot
10-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Hi!

hope this helps, the image attached is not perfect but I'm at work and should be doing something else now:D :)
Anyway, I had this prob before and the solution I came up with is to cut the necessary subdivisions before extruding, it's quite easy (see picture). first of all remove all the unnecessary vertices.
Also, at the end you can select some edges and crease them a little to give more definition.
Maybe there's a simpler solution, but this took me literally 5 minutes.
If you have any more doubts, please let me know.
Cheers
Monica

kriscabrera
10-06-2006, 03:19 PM
yea i was doing that and it was alot of labor because i wanna do my name kriscabrera, and i started with the k and it took a while to go in and cut edges but i was cutting edges after the extrude so i will try before the extrude and see whats the outcome, thanks alot monica youve been alot of help

kriscabrera
10-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks again monica i just tried it and it looks good cut subdivisions before the extrude works perfect thanks!

newellteapot
10-06-2006, 03:28 PM
great to know that!

well at least some letters are repeated in kriskabrera, so it won't be so much work :)
I waas wondering if there could be any other way, but can't see any.
Maybe soemeone will come up with a quicker idea
:)

kriscabrera
10-06-2006, 03:35 PM
yea that will be great
thanks again

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2006, 03:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.