PDA

View Full Version : Animation Test, "Leapin' Lizard!" in V10.0d

zandoria
02-02-2003, 08:42 PM
Here is an animation test I did today of my Swinosaurus doing a leap inspired by the raptors in "The Lost World"

http://www.zandoria.com/images/Movies/leap.mp4

Done in A:M version 10.0d

gra4mac
02-02-2003, 08:58 PM
Hi William. All I get is a text file,no movie. I have QT6.

Cheers, Graham

JTalbotski
02-02-2003, 08:59 PM
Graham,

Control click on the link and save it to disk.

William,

Nice!

no0ne
02-02-2003, 09:20 PM
:bounce: :applause: just love it

after landin his upper body seems to skip once slighty
don't know how to explain better (;

ragtag
02-03-2003, 12:45 PM
Nice lizard. Any info on how you did it? Like the grass in the foreground.

Tiny detail, the snout intersects some grass towards the end of the shot for a few frames.

Ragnar

zandoria
02-03-2003, 02:09 PM
that is just a couple of instances of a grass "layer"--a photo with an alpha channel, in front of the camera. The sky is another layer. the model and the layers are all that is in the choreography except for the lights.

The snout can't be intersecting the grass because it is far in front of the model and is just a 2D plane. You must be seeing some blades of grass that are in front of him.

This program is great!:buttrock:

Nonproductive
02-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Actually, I see what Ragnar is seeing as well.

Just after he lands and starts to lift his head - his snout appears to pass trhough the tall, thicker blade of grass at the center of teh shot. If the 2D plane is far ahead of him then it must be a rendering anomoly or something - but it definitely looks like it passes through.

Cool none the less!

This program is great!
hehe ;) careful! you're preaching vegetarianism to hungry wolverines.

zandoria
02-03-2003, 02:51 PM
The original is 720x486, must be an anomaly in the compression...:shrug:

PJC
02-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Very nice!

Did you use NetRender for the Motion Blur?

- pjc

zandoria
02-03-2003, 04:23 PM
I don't have netrender. This was just regular A:M, no compositing.
motionblur set at 10%

gra4mac
02-03-2003, 04:25 PM
I'm still bummed that Ican't veiw it. I downloaded to my desktop, but I get an error messege that it's not a true MP4 and there is a "MOOV" line missing. Anyone have a suggetsion?

Cheers, Graham

PJC
02-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by zandoria
motionblur set at 10%

Cool! If you do composite stuff, I highly recommend RealSmart Motion Blur for After Effects. It does an awesome job and cuts down on AM's render time, and is very flexible. We use it all the time at work.

- pjc

zandoria
02-03-2003, 05:04 PM
I've been using Ulead Media Studio Pro, for editing. I haven't had the money for After Effects yet...

I'm running an Athlon XP 2000 processor (1.67 gigahertz) with 1GB of DDR RAM. My render time was about 24 seconds per frame at D1 resolution, which is acceptable for me.

I was just testing an action file to see how it looked, I need to do a longer animation with some sound and music!

pabitel
02-03-2003, 05:14 PM
motionblur set at 10%

Wow! I think that is one of most impressive animations I've seen done in A:M. It alone should get people to upgrade.

npcrosby
02-10-2003, 05:08 AM
Really well done. Very nice.

Is there a glitch in rendering the tail though .. slowly scrub through the last 1/2 of the file. Parts of the tail get "fatter". ????????????

zandoria
02-10-2003, 01:43 PM
I went back to the project file, and found an extra keyframe that was pulling one of the layers back so that it did intersect the head--I should have scrubbed through in the side view beforeI rendered that, so I would have seen it.

I went back in last night and altered the choreograpy. Did a little pan to the left right before the leap, and added a little shake to the camera on the swinosaur impact.

The "fatter" appearance of the tail seems to be from the motion blur. I want to try this new "multipass" motion blur that I'm hearing about in the V10.5 alpha--then maybe some sound!

JTalbotski
02-10-2003, 04:39 PM
zandoria,

Is it the same named file or is there a different file to view?

zandoria
02-10-2003, 04:50 PM

I just replaced the original file with this one, the name is the same.

JTalbotski
02-10-2003, 05:40 PM

I just replaced the original file with this one, the name is the same.

Cool! The camera movement really makes it seem like he's coming after ME!

zandoria
02-11-2003, 01:51 PM
http://www.zandoria.com/images/Movies/leap.mov

This time rendered with the "multipass" option in the 10.5alpha.
16(4x4) time increased from 30seconds per frme to 3 minutes per frame at D1 resolution.
The difference in quality especially in the motionblur is worth the speed hit!:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.