PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendation

wizzackr
10-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Hi all. As long term maya render guy I pretty much copy and pasted all scripts I ever needed together without getting into syntax and some deeper understanding of MEL.
Well, the plan is to change that ASAP ;)
Unfortunately the search function is disabled, so despite the fact that probably one million people already asked this question I will have to ask it again and need your advice: Can you guys recommend me a good book for reference and / or one to get me started? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
J

arcsecond
10-05-2006, 08:08 PM
I'd go with the Maya MEL command reference included as HTML with the install. That's how I learned. If you have any coding experience at all it'll be real easy. MEL is very c- and cshell-like.

Hope this helps.
-James

skunk184
10-06-2006, 07:06 AM
I have no coding experience but found mel real easy to get into after reading the Art of Rigging ... the book explains each part of the scripts that come with the book which really helped me understand the basic format and syntax of MEL.

So personally I suggest that book along with the command reference and you ll be scripting in no time!

cheers

Craig

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2006, 07:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.