PDA

View Full Version : selecting points

toonafish
10-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Whenever I select points on an object with any tool, raycast or not, I always seem to miss the points that are behind others. This is especialy annoying when enveloping geometry, there are always points left behind I have to add to the envelope later.

Is there a setting somewhere that makes it easyer to select all the points within a selection in one go ?

grahamef
10-05-2006, 05:18 PM
File > Preferences > Tools > Selection

Under Rectangle Select Options, turn off Raycast in Shaded Mode.

Now the Rectangle Select tool will select points that are occluded by others.

Although I have to add, I'm a bit curious about why you are enveloping specific points rather than a whole object.

mocaw
10-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Maybe he is talking about a local reasignment or adjusting the weightvalues?

toonafish
10-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Sorry, my mistake. I checked again and it seems that the default rectangle tool selects everything in wireframe. I think it's because I use the lasso tool a lot because it's hard to select stuff with the rectangle tool sometimes. But it seems the lasso tool is always raycast, even in wireframe.
I like to use the Raycast in Shaded mode, that way I don't have to change selection tools so much.

I hope these tools get a workover real soon, there's no logic to it. It's like having a screwdriver for the red screws, a blue one for the blue screws and a philips screwdriver for the rest. This is one of the reasons I'm only animating in XSI and not modeling.

Most of the time I envelope complete objects, but sometimes clusters when I need to combine envelopes with lattices for instance.

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2006, 05:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.