http://mftm.blogspot.com/2006/09/300-2007-promo-trailer-scoop.html

Does that look cool or what?

jason-slab
10-05-2006, 02:59 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/hd/ :D

i think it's was posted a little while back

slak
10-05-2006, 03:08 PM
The HD trailer obviously looks better, but it is also alot shorter, almost 1,5 mins.

If it was posted before I must have missed it, sorry if that's the case.

leuey
10-05-2006, 05:21 PM
This looks so freaking stupid. Such a shame that one of the most amazing war stories of all time is turned into this crap-ass comic book fantasy. I heard they were making 'Gates of Fire' (read the book by Steven Pressfield if you're actually interested in this event) - I can onlly hope..

-Greg

..I know 'crap-ass' sounds harsh but wtf? Why take a story that's already amazing and embellish it with a bunch of make believe crap and ridiculous over-the-top characters. Is Frank Miller the new Phillip K Dick? What's going on...

RobertoOrtiz
10-05-2006, 05:36 PM
To be fair to slack, this is a brand new trailer.
And being a huge fan of the original graphic novel, I am really looking forward to this.

-R

agreenster
10-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Why take a story that's already amazing and embellish it with a bunch of make believe crap and ridiculous over-the-top characters.

Because it's awesome...?

mushroomgod
10-05-2006, 05:51 PM
the trailer looks totaly amazing..the last trailer that I remember looking this good was Ep1, god I just hope its better than that.

Alot of the visuals have a ridley scott look about them, but im sure alot of its taken from the graphic novel which Iv not read.

EnlightenedPixel
10-05-2006, 06:24 PM
This looks so freaking stupid. Such a shame that one of the most amazing war stories of all time is turned into this crap-ass comic book fantasy. I heard they were making 'Gates of Fire' (read the book by Steven Pressfield if you're actually interested in this event) - I can onlly hope..

-Greg

..I know 'crap-ass' sounds harsh but wtf? Why take a story that's already amazing and embellish it with a bunch of make believe crap and ridiculous over-the-top characters. Is Frank Miller the new Phillip K Dick? What's going on...

From what Ive seen, they are apparently sticking to the graphic novel very closely. The shot comparasons are incredibly acurate to the original drawings, and I doubt theyre adding a whole lot of 'make believe crap' that doesnt already exist in the novel.

CGTrader
10-05-2006, 06:39 PM
one of the best soundtrack selected for trailer. Glad this NIN piece got through...

OneSharpMarble
10-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Hopefully this one is better than Sin City was, it looks fairly good. I don't see any big name actors so I will get my hopes up.

Sin City IMHO was a waste of time.

vfx
10-05-2006, 07:09 PM
I saw this in the morning and thought - OMG - It looks stunning best blue screen comping I've ever seen! The colours and digital set pieces - it looks like a flowing painting and at the same time as been historic it has a very fresh cinematic look! This will set new standards - The visual production has paid off, lets just hope the story stands the same tests!

leuey
10-05-2006, 08:07 PM
oh man...never mind. My point was that this event really happened - I'm just disappointed that the movie we get is from a comic book (which is full of 'make believe crap') and not the critically aclaimed novel that a lot of people were expecting. To be fair this movie could be very entertaining....I'm just personally disappointed. Hopefully Gates of Fire will also be made. But sorry, this just looks retarded...in a kind of 'cool but still retarded' way. : )

-Greg

From what Ive seen, they are apparently sticking to the graphic novel very closely. The shot comparasons are incredibly acurate to the original drawings, and I doubt theyre adding a whole lot of 'make believe crap' that doesnt already exist in the novel.

Trenox
10-05-2006, 08:20 PM
I'm just disappointed that the movie we get is from a comic book (which is full of 'make believe crap') and not the critically aclaimed novel that a lot of people were expecting.

Eh is it a big secret that this movie is made by Frank Miller - the author of this "make believe crap" comic book ?
Personally i love this "larger than life" approach (like in sin city) as opposed to a reiteration of the gladiator or troy stuff (even though there are some nods to both in the trailer).

I thought this trailer looked amazing and is by far the best ive seen this year - i second the guy who had associations to the episode 1 trailer. The opening shot is superb.

rblitz7
10-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Wow! Truely unique and interesting style, really nice to see something different. Looks good!:scream:

Yourworstnightmare
10-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Gotta have some balls to go fighting naked like that.

EnlightenedPixel
10-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Gotta have some balls to go fighting naked like that.

Especialy if youre willing to risk losing them.

DimitrisLiatsos
10-06-2006, 06:19 AM
This is one of the most dramatic stories of Ancient Greek history. And i can't wait to see this movie.....argghhh this is going to be awesome movie.:bounce:

almux
10-06-2006, 07:24 AM
...And yet... all this pride and fighting makes me sick...

oktawu
10-06-2006, 09:52 AM
as far as i know Hybride (xsi/maya for 3d with an autodesk comping pipe) is the primary FX vendor on this show.
but i dont think they are the only ones, though both CafeFX and Orphanage
are involved with Rodriguez and Tarantino on their next hit, Planet Terror
so i have no idea who the other vendors are...
anybody....any insights?

oktawu
10-06-2006, 01:34 PM
here u go, complete list of FX vendors on the film
http://www.cinefex.com/upcoming/films/300.html

atzfratz
10-06-2006, 05:16 PM
lets just hope the story stands the same tests!

Seriously, the story is quite non existant in the comic. But I love the book for the visuals and the little dialog there is.

Looks like they taking the same appoach in the movie, and so far.... I LOVE IT :)

grafikimon
10-06-2006, 07:46 PM
I oh man...never mind. My point was that this event really happened - I'm just disappointed that the movie we get is from a comic book (which is full of 'make believe crap') and not the critically aclaimed novel that a lot of people were expecting. To be fair this movie could be very entertaining....I'm just personally disappointed. Hopefully Gates of Fire will also be made. But sorry, this just looks retarded...in a kind of 'cool but still retarded' way. : )

-Greg

You should look at it the way Dracula accurately depicts Vlad the Impaler who was a historically real person. Or braveheart or even gladiator.

History is the inspiration but it is all out fantasy and should taken as such.

That said it looks great and even if it bombs (ha) i'd still pick up the DVD just as reference. The art direction is incredible

TorbjornO
10-07-2006, 01:24 AM
Wasn't the Spartan army gay?

Changes like that bothers me, doesn't gay soldiers fit in with people's perceptions of macho men? (No pun intended)

It's widely thought that one of the main reasons why the Spartan army were such incredible soldiers was that they weren't just fighting for their friends and their people, but their intimitely loved ones.

It's a fascinating piece of history, and the cynic in me just wants to say; I guess people's prejudice would make people like Frank Miller believe that that's a very hard story to sell, true or not. A bit of a cop out though, I reckon that would of made this story stand out even more.

Apoclypse
10-07-2006, 03:48 AM
its funny casue I was trying to watch the hidef version on my machine using totem (I use linux) and the sound was really messed up it was really slow so everything had a more abstract evil feel to it since all you heard was snarls and unintelligible voices. It was really freaky and made me actually want to watch the movie since I didn't realize that the sound wasn't supposed to be that way. Saw the quicktime version and that really freaky feeling was gone but the imagery can't be denied this movie has incredible imagery. I think this guy should have directed SinCity it might have actually been good.

Wizdoc
10-07-2006, 03:48 AM
Looks like Sky Captain and the Battle of Thermopylae.

And I mean it in both the good and bad way.

Brettzies
10-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Looks like Sky Captain and the Battle of Thermopylae.

And I mean it in both the good and bad way.
Yeah. Something strange about it, but also something very appealing and rock n' roll cool. I like it. Hopefully better then Sky Captain though.

ares623
10-07-2006, 09:21 AM
looks so cool.. and a good action film is definately worth watching. so i can't wait! :scream: though i think all those slow-mo's would probably look "awkward" in the film.. idk.

Abaddon
10-07-2006, 09:56 AM
oh man...never mind. My point was that this event really happened - I'm just disappointed that the movie we get is from a comic book (which is full of 'make believe crap') and not the critically aclaimed novel that a lot of people were expecting. To be fair this movie could be very entertaining....I'm just personally disappointed. Hopefully Gates of Fire will also be made. But sorry, this just looks retarded...in a kind of 'cool but still retarded' way. : )

-Greg

Have you seen Big Fish? You should.

And on the topic of 'real' depictions of ancient battles, how do you know which is accurate?

All things are subjective. That aside though, I dont go to the big screen cinema to watch documentaries. Well, usually not anyway. :)

mech7
10-07-2006, 09:57 AM
wow i am speechless this is the best trailer i have seen EVER :D

Mysterious X
10-07-2006, 12:33 PM
one of the best soundtrack selected for trailer. Glad this NIN piece got through...

what's the title of that track ??

Kid Dynomite
10-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Wasn't the Spartan army gay?

Changes like that bothers me, doesn't gay soldiers fit in with people's perceptions of macho men? (No pun intended)

Uh, no. The internet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparta) is your friend.

I think the movie looks fantastic. Those production videos on the blog site are pretty good too. If you want historical accuracy, you may want to try the 1962 version (http://imdb.com/title/tt0055719/).

danshewan
10-07-2006, 06:03 PM
what's the title of that track ??

Just Like You Imagined, from the album 'The Fragile'.

And as for historical accuracy, this might offer a glimpse as to who the Spartans actually were:

http://ancienthistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/TheUnmovableSpartans

kmest
10-07-2006, 08:28 PM
hey this looks great..cant wait to watch it..its amazing the graphical things they did in this movie.........

BUT i hate the way they (both movie and comic) showed PERSIANS (iranians) .i'm sure frank miller doesnt even know where iran is...the emperor is an african..lots of black skin peoples,neanderthals,savages,even moguls.....WHAT A SHAME...............it reminds me of that trashi movie ALEXANDER and the way they changed the hystory and the looks of iranians......i wonder why they want to show us like that...(like barbarians)?????

BTW its good so see them trying to change an old fictional story to a history

Apoclypse
10-07-2006, 08:49 PM
hey this looks great..cant wait to watch it..its amazing the graphical things they did in this movie.........

BUT i hate the way they (both movie and comic) showed PERSIANS (iranians) .i'm sure frank miller doesnt even know where iran is...the emperor is an african..lots of black skin peoples,neanderthals,savages,even moguls.....WHAT A SHAME...............it reminds me of that trashi movie ALEXANDER and the way they changed the hystory and the looks of iranians......i wonder why they want to show us like that...(like barbarians)?????

BTW its good so see them trying to change an old fictional story to a history

Well, Frank Miller's stuff isn't very p.c. to begin with. Its kind of hard to expect that from his work. Its either overly masochistic, chauvanistic, or just plain racist and this across many of his works. Not to say they aren't freaking incredible pieces of work regardless.

TorbjornO
10-08-2006, 12:34 PM
I saw a documentary on this fairly recently. While not a particularly proven source, I am too lazy to search on. Taken from http://www.spirit-alembic.com/ishvara.html:

"Not so, in Sparta! Sparta was a strongly military city-state; every citizen was expected to participate in the defense of the realm. Boys were actually raised in military barracks, acting as orderlies, housekeepers, waiters AND sexual companions of adult officers and soldiers who guarded the Spartan society. Anal as well as oral sex was common, though probably most often by mutual consent. It is an interesting tidbit of military history (red-facedly admitted to by even the stodgiest homophobic military historians) that the Spartan Army was universally considered the best and most courageous in the entire Hellenic world. Plato, writing in his famous "Republic," used the Spartan Army as the model for his Ideal Society.. in which gay sexuality would be the "glue" the holds-together the military of his Utopia. In his opinion, the LOVE between the men-at-arms of Sparta gave them extra reason to protect and defend their own troops (for who would NOT fight for the life of one's Lovers?!)"

By the way, replying with 'Uh, no'... Anyway, it is very well known that the Spartan army was to a large degree gay. There's tons of info out there, whether Wikipedia has included it in its entry or not.

It's sort of off topic anyway, but I just find it weak that fiction when based on history decides to occlude aspects they might feel will alienate an ignorant/prejudist public.

Uh, no. The internet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparta) is your friend.

I think the movie looks fantastic. Those production videos on the blog site are pretty good too. If you want historical accuracy, you may want to try the 1962 version (http://imdb.com/title/tt0055719/).

Kid Dynomite
10-08-2006, 04:32 PM
You could do better than link to a website of 'Gay and Lesbian mystics.'

Anyway, I was simply taking your statement at face value. If the Spartan army was gay, ie homosexual, than all it's members were homosexual, and this is clearly not true. Homosexuality was not considered deviant in Ancient Greece, but it was by no means commonplace among adults.

but I just find it weak that fiction when based on history decides to occlude aspects they might feel will alienate an ignorant/prejudist public.
Sounds like your riding a hobby horse. The story of the Battle of Thermopylae is compelling with or without what you think are historical ommisions, particularly one as incidental as Greek sexual practices.

Who cares?

danshewan
10-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Who cares?

Quoted for agreement - back on-topic, please.

RobertoOrtiz
10-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Quoted for agreement - back on-topic, please.
Amen!

BTW the art design of this movie is incredible. Love how a lot of the images look like fantasy paintings come to life..

And BTW
QUOTE:
Dark Horse will release 300: The Art of The Film in January, before the Warner Brothers feature film release based on the Frank Miller graphic novel in March.

http://www.icv2.com./articles/home/9409.html

CGTalk Moderation
10-08-2006, 05:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.