PDA

View Full Version : Key frame animation?

TheAtheist
10-05-2006, 10:31 AM
I am currently trying to put together a simple keyframe animation that involves lights turning on and off at specific timed intervals. These lights are material shaders - one with glow, one without glow. These shaders are applied to planes in my scene - they start from all glowing and then change to some glowing and some not at random times in the animation, or at least thats what is supposed to happen!

I tried applying the different shaders (glowing and non-glowing) at different points along the timeline and key-framing at each point, however this doesn't work. The shaders remain the same all the way through the animation, basically whichever variation is chosen last is the one that is rendered throughout.

What am I doing wrong? Is there an easy fix for this? Is what I am trying to do actually possible?

Thanks in advance

Tamis
10-20-2006, 03:56 PM
maby you can make a mix material 1 material with glow and one without and then animate the mix from 0 to 100 and visaversa

VeggieB0i
10-20-2006, 08:51 PM
You can't animate which materials an object has, but you can do it the way the guy above me said. Use a mix shader, and animate from 0 to 100 without space between the keyframes, and that should do it...

Bobo
10-20-2006, 09:09 PM
What am I doing wrong? Is there an easy fix for this? Is what I am trying to do actually possible?

Another way to keyframe switching materials is using a Multi-Sub material with the desired shaders placed inside of it, and a Material modifier on the planes. You can keyframe the Material ID in the modifier over time to switch from ID 1 to ID 2 etc. and thus to completely replace the material by showing the corresponding Sub-Material.

CGTalk Moderation
10-20-2006, 09:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.