PDA

View Full Version : Particle banking along trajectory?

Glacierise
10-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Hi guys,
How can I make a particle bank along a trajectory? I tried stuff with speed by icon, but it doesn't seem to have such functionality. So I suppose a script would be needed :)

vertigo
10-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Hello Glacierise,

With the Speed by Icon operator you can create such stuff. The emitter should be aligned to the first vertex of the path. The icon itself has the banking.

Good luck and uspeh!

Greets
vertigo

Glacierise
10-08-2006, 09:03 PM
First off - great to see another Bulgarian here! Care to exchange ICQs? My nick there is the same, it'll be nice to have more CG friends!

On the topic - I can't seem to be able to do it with the standard operators (incl speed by icon), and I've found out that this is somewhat of a common pain to pflow users. Oleg Bayborodin passed a poll on the orbaz.com forums on which the next freebie operator would be, and the banking one won by a landslide :)

I suppose it could be done with scripting, or with the Box#3 demo version, but I wanted to ask whether there was a readymade solution before trying to make a new one :)

BrandonD
10-08-2006, 10:50 PM
No, there is no ready-made solution, though you can do it with a script operator, but it is not a trivial matter. It's easier with Box #3 because you can visually read the velocity vector and orientation, do your cross-product to find the proper up-vector then reapply that to the particles.

And yes, it does sound like Oleg will be doing a RotationBank operator in the future.

Glacierise
10-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Yeah, that's the present state of things :) So, I should just figure out the math and go for it :) Thanks all ;)

vertigo
10-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Oh, it's concerning A particle banking... Well I tried also a Rotation Operator with Speed Space Follow, the result comes to a banking nearer but still not what it should be. Hm, it seams such an easy solvable problem... :scream:

Thanks for the info, Brandon!

Greets
vertigo

BrandonD
10-09-2006, 08:16 PM
What you'll need to do is look at the difference in rotation from time step to time step (or frame to frame) and use that as a multiplier of sorts, so that the more the particle steers in a direction, the more it banks. The math isn't too difficult, but if I recall there are some tricky conversions that will be a pain.

Glacierise
10-09-2006, 08:42 PM
I suppose this shoud be done per integration step. The z axis rotation (speed space follow) rotation should be linked to the y axis. If I can use the speed space follow, then there will be no concerns with an up vector. Can this be done? If yes, then there will be no conversions - it's all in degrees.

What do you think?

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2006, 08:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.