PDA

View Full Version : Student Animation Reel - Nick Smalley

Nick Smalley
10-05-2006, 05:14 AM
Hey guys,

Just finished my student animation reel at VFS. Crits and comments welcome.

----- Right click "save as" (35.3mb quicktime) (http://www.dutchtilt.com/nickimages/web_reel_hi.mov) -----

Thanks
http://www.dutchtilt.com/nickimages/burger.jpg

http://www.dutchtilt.com/nickimages/clever.jpg

sachin3d
10-05-2006, 09:08 AM
nice work man, only one comment check the penetrations in ur animation. keep it up..

bernoccoli
10-05-2006, 10:31 AM
your characters need a little bit of weight and sometimes they're slightly wavy.. good spacing but rigid faces and shoulders.

keep your work up, man.

ciao!

Nick Smalley
10-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the comments,

Sachin3d - Yeah the crashing annoyed me too, but I wanted to concentrate more on the movement of a quadruped cause it's my first time and i wanted a bit of freedom.

Ephixx - Yeah i've tried to address the weight issues in my animations, i thought I had but clearly not! I'll keep working on that.

Thanks again,

More crits very welcome

yuta_vfx
10-05-2006, 10:20 PM
hey man looks good, I like the dialog. That's pretty funny. Nice work.

here is some crits for you-----
I thought the tail of beast was little too much when he is walkng. Maybe you could reduce that. And I liked your gymnastic one but after he lands on the ground, I felt follow through was little off.

Anyway, I enjoyed your reel. Nice work man !!

keep doing

JBoskma
10-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Hey Nick, great job! Impressive amount of finished animation on your reel. Think the beast sequence is working better now and it sure is my favorite part on your demoreel. Good luck on the jobhunt!

KOKE
10-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Great work there Nick. :thumbsup:

My favorite piece is the airplane dialogue.

Congratulations.

JK.

:D

alanf
10-16-2006, 01:58 AM
Hey Nick, I thought the animation was cool. My favourites are the gymnastic bit. I also thought it was fun working together to get that reef piece done, and I really liked the final animation you did for it. How did my rigs treat ya? Hope it wasn't too many bones! ;)

Nick Smalley
10-16-2006, 02:19 AM
Hello Nick,

I have to say that I find it offensive, irritating, and extremely unprofessional on your part that you had a section in your credits for "models & rigs" and you did not have the sense of decency or mild courtesy to point out that you used my rigs for the fish and jellyfish. (Putting "Animation only" while the reef piece is playing is ok, but it doesn't quite do it.)

And for those that don't know, I am Alan Fregtman from Class 59 at VFS, same as Nick's. The reef piece that you see in his reel was a collective collaboration mainly between me, Joshua Herrig (who did the lighting and comping) and Nicholas (who animated). I was the rigger, and I am insulted that I was not given proper credit when there's a section in his credits just for rigs.

I hope this behaviour doesn't continue once you get into the industry, Nick, or you will see yourself burning bridges.

Sincerely,

-- Alan Fregtman (XSI Character TD - VFS 3D59)

ps: In my reel, I gave you credit.

Alan,

1st of all, if you want to talk about professionalism, then i think you should lead by example. NOT turning a cgtalk animation thread into a slagging match when you have a problem that could easily be resolved if you actually talked to me instead of posting it online and hoping that i checked it.

2nd, in answer to your problem with the fish scene, it was a collaboration by 7 different people from start to finish i believe. I found it unrealistic to put all 7 names on my credits for one shot, so instead i think that "animation only" is sufficient.

If you have any critisicms about my animation, then feel free to post. But if it's about anything else, then call or instant message me, and i'd be happy to address your concerns.

Nick

MarcosJoannes
10-16-2006, 02:34 AM
Alan,

1st of all, if you want to talk about professionalism, then i think you should lead by example. NOT turning a cgtalk animation thread into a slagging match when you have a problem that could easily be resolved if you actually talked to me instead of posting it online and hoping that i checked it.

2nd, in answer to your problem with the fish scene, it was a collaboration by 7 different people from start to finish i believe. I found it unrealistic to put all 7 names on my credits for one shot, so instead i think that "animation only" is sufficient.

If you have any critisicms about my animation, then feel free to post. But if it's about anything else, then call or instant message me, and i'd be happy to address your concerns.

Nick

Yes, I have to agree with Nick. I think you exaggerated.... and the red color? Come on, takin' easy! I saw the the animation, he did not take credits away from you, he wrote "animation only" and I believe it's enough. Maybe your problem is just that you want your name on the reel...

BlueGraph
10-16-2006, 02:53 AM
Hey Nick, I thought the animation was cool. My favourites are the gymnastic bit. I also thought it was fun working together to get that reef piece done, and I really liked the final animation you did for it. How did my rigs treat ya? Hope it wasn't too many bones! ;)

Ha ha did you edit the post? Glad you are friends again!:applause:
(the red color was the top!!!)

PureMoxi
10-16-2006, 09:26 AM
My favorite english farmer,

I like the new cut...hadn't seen this before you showed it to the masses. I like the flow much better - lends itself to the music. I love the gymnast and the fluid quick movement the best. My only crit is on the dead loman fellow while in the mouth of the monster...sometimes his legs feel a bit underwater, but such a nit pick to be sure. Overall, I love the feel of that piece and think it is quite an original way of showing weight and timing in such a way most people would not ever think to do.

In the end, I am impressed by the variety and the sheer volume of work you were able to complete over the course of the 6 months. impressive. I wish you luck and hope all goes well in the job hunt.

R

som3d59
10-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Very nice animation. I like the gymnastic guy. The monster jump is quite nice too, but the tail is a bit distract for me. And the jelly fish is lovely. I'm sure you'll get a good job by this reel. :)

Oh, good choice of music also. The "Maybeline" song keeps playing in my head !

TehYeh
10-23-2006, 07:07 AM
nick, lotsa work !!!

as much as i like this edit, i still want to see the directors cut, you know, the whole thing with story, perhaps put that one up also

BGLooney
10-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Dude, nice work. You have such a great variety of animation, that it looks more like a reel from a veteran. It's reallty nice to see a student reel touch upon several animation styles.

It would be cool to see the beast with a weightier tail, but I really dig the physics on him.
Nice work on the plane too man, good interaction.

KEEP POSTING!

LloydColaco
10-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Hey Some pretty cool stuff smalley!
your demo clearly shows that you've got a wide range of animation skills, the running dude is my fav.

All the best with your future stuff

in4it
10-26-2006, 07:47 AM
Nice work ...the 'creative one' is my favourite!

good luck

carlosvk
10-26-2006, 09:42 PM
I think that your reel shows a lot of variety and it's nicely edited together. I think that you can still polish little bits of animation here and there, but over all the animation is very well done.

Cheers,

Carlos.

Zoober
10-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Solid reel Nick. You managed to create a really nice body of work in very little time. Your reputation for working really fast and producing solid stuff is going to help out a lot. I think that your strongest piece is the airplane bit, you did a good job cleaing it up and ironing out those subtle character nuances.

Squash-n-Stretch
10-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Alan,

Nick

I disagree, you were in the wrong in the first place, and have seemingly failed to apologise and admit you were wrong and/or rectify the situation as far as I can see. I think that his name should be either added to the credits in your reel or your thread and reel links pulled.

dutchtilt
10-27-2006, 09:41 PM
i personally think these threads should be used for c & c on ANIMATION. I dont see how we can assume that they havent already spoken in private.

I think your reel is very solid. i agree with Zoober, your ability to pump out great work in a very short amount of time will do you very well in a pipeline. since these are such different shots, i cant wait to see what you will post next!

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2006, 09:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.