PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Shares Jump to 6-Year High on Profit Outlook

RobertoOrtiz
10-05-2006, 01:19 AM
Link (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=NTDOY:US&sid=aK7nIvKe7maw)

Nintendo Shares Jump to 6-Year High on Profit Outlook (Update1)
By Dave McCombs

Oct. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Shares of Nintendo Co., the world's biggest maker of handheld video-games, jumped to their highest in more than six years after the company raised its full-year profit, citing sales of its DS model and a weaker-than-expected yen.

The stock jumped 4 percent to 24,760 yen as of the 11 a.m. close on the Osaka Securities Exchange, after rising to as much as 25,100 yen, the highest since Feb. 21, 2000, when the shares closed at a record 25,350 yen. The earnings forecast announcement came after the market shut yesterday.

Nintendo's touch-screen DS player and software such as Nintendogs, an interactive pet game, are helping the company fend off competition from Sony Corp.'s PlayStation Portable. The Kyoto, Japan-based company next month will release the Wii game console, which has a motion-sensor remote controller and a lower price than Sony's delayed PlayStation 3.

Nintendo's market share will probably ``turn up in the next cycle, assisted by the success of the DS portable game console, which the company released ahead of the Wii platform, as well as lower prices compared with competing products, active third-party game developer activity, and the postponement of the PS3's debut in Europe,'' Atsuko Kaneko, an analyst at UBS Securities Japan Ltd., wrote in a note to clients dated yesterday.

Net income will climb to 100 billion yen ($847 million) for the year ending March 31, compared with a July estimate for 83 billion yen, the Kyoto-based company said in a preliminary earnings statement yesterday. Nintendo reported 98.4 billion yen profit a year earlier.

Nintendo shares have soared 83 percent in the past 12 months, on better-than-expected sales of DS players and rising expectations the Wii console will lure new users to video games.

To contact the reporter for this story: Dave McCombs in Tokyo at

RobertoOrtiz
10-05-2006, 01:20 AM
Thanks to ParamountCell for the heads up.

-R

SheepFactory
10-05-2006, 02:27 AM
Thanks to ParamountCell for the heads up.

-R

What a shocking surprise ;)

ParamountCell
10-05-2006, 02:32 AM
roberto: No problem

Sheepfactory: huh? what you mean?

erilaz
10-05-2006, 02:35 AM
Sheepfactory: huh? what you mean?

I think he means you're awesome at coming up with news on Nintendo. Thanks man. :D

ParamountCell
10-05-2006, 02:37 AM
I think he means you're awesome at coming up with news on Nintendo. Thanks man. :D

ha well thanx:D

ParamountCell
10-05-2006, 03:02 AM
hey guys speaking of wii, somebody made a cool mockup of the wii channel, here is one of me, they even have my trademarked sinister one sided smile. It would be cool to see how you guys look in mii form.

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/9391/miinn2.gif

but on topic: I just came back from the london games festival, it was interesting speaking with developers, we also heard some of there opinions on the next gen console race, and a few of them had pretty high hopes for wii, A few months back I remember posting some of the artwork and trailer for a next gen lucas arts starwars game, It seems to be based heavily on telekinetic powers, althogh the game isnt on the wii, one of the developers that i spoke said that they would have loved to see it on the wii, but it would never happen. Maybe Nintendo seperating itself from the rest of the industry would have its disadvantages and advantages.

JohnD
10-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Yeah...my coworker was pretty happy yesterday...as he recently bought some Nintendo stock.

peachstapler
10-05-2006, 08:59 PM
It's been clear for the last couple years that Nintendo was breaking through and the company would profit exponentially with the exit of Sega. While I can't read candlesticks and teacups very well, it's a very good sign when a company can't keep a product on the shelves and you should probably invest in them. When I use that logic it almost never fails for me. I wouldn't bet the farm on Nintendo, but if I had the extra money it would probably go their way.

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2006, 08:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.