PDA

View Full Version : Elecom 3d mouse allows XYZ movement

grafikimon
10-04-2006, 10:30 PM
I just saw this posted on gizmodo. Imagine using the XYZ function to twirl the model around as you work. Seems like a great 3d tool for modelers.

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/elecom-3d-laser-mouse-scrolls-in-three-dimensions-205301.php

randomsheep
10-04-2006, 11:55 PM
looks cool... you know if this is usable in maya?

arneltapia
10-05-2006, 12:02 AM
I hope it is usable in Maya too. :thumbsup:

visualride
10-05-2006, 12:25 AM
I got a similar product 10 years ago. I forgot what it was called, but it worked great for creating interactive motion capture fly throughs. The problem is that unless the company is supported widely with drivers, it's almost useless outside of the one application that it is written for. Imagine a Wacom that only works in Maya, but not Max, XSI, Photoshop,...

Szos
10-05-2006, 12:57 AM
VISUALRIDE - you hit the nail on the head. without drivers and support from applications, even the bestest peice of hardware will go unused. i am not sure if the mouse you are thinking of is the same one that i owned - but i had a mouse that while not directed at the 3D market, it has a 'joystick' like device instead of a scroll wheel. was absolutely great - that is until it broke. then ofcourse there were some programs that never took advanatage of the 'joystick' feature, so you never got full advatange of it.

either way, this mouse does look pretty cool - would be curious to hear an actual review of it, or if anyone has seen it at a store.

ParamountCell
10-05-2006, 04:16 AM
looks pretty nice, I also think it would feel pretty nice in maya, me and my friend were talking about the current interface for interacting with a pc today, one of our complaints was that the mouse still moves on a very 2d plance, hopefully this will fix that.

pearson
10-05-2006, 12:27 PM
You might have heard of it already, but 3D Connexion (http://www.3dconnexion.com/) makes several devices like this, but for your non-mouse hand. Their cheapest is $200, but it has drivers for a lot of apps, including Maya and Max.

CGOrange
10-12-2006, 07:39 PM
yea, this mouse looks really cool... id really like to see a review too..

CGTalk Moderation
10-12-2006, 07:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.