PDA

View Full Version : Depth Fog?

terencemace
10-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Can XSI render a pass of "depth fog"?

see attached photo please.

I know the zpic is an option, but it's kinda useless for some apps. I need to render a fog pass indicating depth.

Thanks

T

terencemace
10-04-2006, 06:22 PM
I know about the Depth Pass in XSI, would this do the trick? I'm not at my PC right now, so I can't try it.

T

EternalArt
10-05-2006, 06:27 AM
You can use Zpic , then converted to the another extension Like tga or other by Flipbook that come with xsi .

ndog
10-05-2006, 08:11 AM
You can use Zpic , then converted to the another extension Like tga or other by Flipbook that come with xsi .

Have you tried this? I can't get Flipbook to open a Zpic.

Edit: Ok, I see. Zpic is a program to convert zpic.

GeneralLethal
10-05-2006, 03:29 PM
You can override your materials with a constant black shader then apply a volume fog shader on your pass. You can even render this pass in openEXR for maximum control once you start comping.

Iysun
10-05-2006, 06:49 PM
yes depth pass would work, just select all the objects that you want in your render, then create new pass > depth pass and you should be good to go.
If you want to preview it with the region tool make sure you check 'show depth' in the region options.

Also a good way to adjust the depth values is to apply a LumaAdjust Op in the Fx Tree, play with the curve and using the FX Viewer you can update your results in realtime.
Ill attach a quick screen shot to show what I mean.

http://www.anotherhell.com/forum_uploads/depthtest.jpg

On a side note you can of course use other ops such as a type of blurring to get nice depth of field effects as well.

LemonNado
10-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Keep in mind that if you wish to use the depth information for anything 'precise' like compositing that you should save it in aything but 8 bit depth... Or the steps will surprise you.
Cheers
Rainer

terencemace
10-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks for all the advice you guys. The depth pass will work fine.

T

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2006, 10:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.