PDA

View Full Version : Everything Old is Old Again (How old games find new life)

RobertoOrtiz
10-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Quote:
"Thanks to services like GameTap and Xbox Live Arcade, classic games are being given new life and are bringing in revenue years and years after they first hit the market. GameTap's Stuart Synder, XBLA's Greg Canessa and others chime in on the retro phenomenon.

Want to feel really old? It's been 26 years since the sound of "waka-waka-waka" first resounded in an arcade. Yes, 1980 was the year Midway licensed and installed the coin-op version of Namco's "Pac-Man" in the U.S. And 2006 is the year that "Pac-Man" has become one of the most popular downloads on Xbox Live Arcade and GameTap.

Talk about a game with legs.

"

>>LINK<< (http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=13967)

-R

polysmith
10-04-2006, 10:17 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day but in regads to cell phone games instead. Right now I prefer the old games over the new ones converted from flash into cell phone resolution. Does the orginal author get roalties? Do companies like Namco actually make better money from the re-release or do we just get to have a bit of nostalgia while it's a just bump on thier profit line.

My favorite games on my razr are Tetris and Mrs. Pac-man.

Rick Flowers
10-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Ugh. Gametap was horrible IMO. Other than that old games are fine. Controls are a huge issue though

thoughtlesswhisper
10-05-2006, 01:41 AM
it is very cool having the retro games on xbox live. only thing is the price. 1 pound or 2 would b great. 4.50-8 isnt. i want them all but dnt wana pay 50 quid for a selection of super old video games. they really should let you buy games with your gamerscore points or unlocks etc... do it MS! >:(

havokzprodigy
10-05-2006, 02:04 PM
I had gametap for a few months then cancelled.
I have XBLA now and it's ok like thoughtlesswhisper says they are a little too expensive.

Old games are fun again for about 10 minutes then it gets old really quick.

RuinedMessiah
10-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I do tend to give "classic" gamers the test when they visit. Of my 1200 game collection, only about 300 games are current gen. So I let them pick the games we play and it's hilarious to me how rarely they jump back further than the PSX/N64 era. Or when they do delve, they switch games very often.

utchamp
10-05-2006, 07:50 PM
IMO-- classic games are way too overrated.! New gen games are so much cooler after playing pac man for an hour.!

rob200sx
10-06-2006, 09:26 AM
I had a bout of retro a few weeks ago when I went out and bought the classic arcade compilations for my PSP. So here I am, the latest in handheld consoles playing Paperboy, Side Arms and Gauntlet re-living my days piling 10p after 10p into coin-ops at the Fair.

One day my wish for Space Harrier & Afterburner will come true :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2006, 09:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.