PDA

View Full Version : I need to model a Outside-Background(Maya)

Bigavsha
10-04-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm making a short 3d movie and I need to model an outside background but I got no clue where to begin! I want it to be a street or something.. I don't really care..
and I found myself clueles, dunno how to model a building without having to extrude 1000 faces each one at a time only to make the windows..

newellteapot
10-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi!

nice to meet you, one of my best friends is from israel.
Well, the question is a bit vague...
Let's say you want a street, does it have to be realistic or stylised?
How far is the camera going to be?
These are some of the question you need to ask yourself.

:)

Dansolo
10-04-2006, 07:21 PM
If you want to make a building, say a skyscraper create a poly cube make the width 3, height 12,depth 3 and subdivisions the same w3 h12 d3.

This will give you a basic structure.
ensure "Keep Faces Together" is turned off, in Polygons - Tool Options.
Change to faces, select all the faces except for the top and bottom ones.
Extude the faces using the middle cube of the manipulator and shink them so you have squares inside of squares, with the faces still selected press "G" and use the Blue arrow and push the faces inwards.
You should now have a basic skyscraper, obviously you will have to add extra details.

For reference use you favorite search engine and search for buildings, skyscrapers etc.

You can also make a polyplane, apply a new material to it and use a ramp shader to create a colour background.(or download an image and apply that.)

yann22
10-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi, a few hints:

- if it's really a background, make a matte painting or maybe use paint effects

- if it's midground you'll probably get away with using displacement maps on primitive shapes

- if the geometry will be featured prominently and you have to model all the detail:

- look for repetitiveness in the architecture, model only one element and duplicate
- use selection constraints on faces to extrude many of them according to a pattern
- make sure ALL you're edges are properly beveled

- generally it's a really good idea to have a really good idea of what you want the shot to look like, what will be seen in the fore/mid/background, what the camera-move is going to be etc., it'll save you loads of time and keep you from going bonkers :D

Bigavsha
10-10-2006, 12:13 PM
You all helped out alot.. I started modeling the background now, it's alot faster now. Thank you.

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2006, 12:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.