PDA

View Full Version : CINEMA 4D R10 announced

Srek
10-04-2006, 11:29 AM
MAXON'S CINEMA 4D SCORES A PERFECT 10

On the eve of its 20th anniversary, MAXON is pleased to announce the upcoming availability of CINEMA 4D Release 10. With this landmark release, MAXON has enhanced its flagship 3D modeling, animation and rendering software to build upon a reputation for ease of use with countless workflow improvements, as well as new functionality to aid in character animation, and much more.

MAXON, October 4, 2006 - Release 10 features enhanced object and animation managers, which have been optimized for quicker workflow. Objects can now be easily filtered, searched, bookmarked and arranged in layers to aid in dealing with large scenes. A completely rewritten timeline can be organized in the same way as the Object Manager, and now offers ripple and region editing tools as well as improved automatic and manual controls over keyframe interpolation. A new PowerSlider allows extensive control over animation without the need to open the timeline. Enhanced support for the OpenGL features of newer graphics cards, as well as a new interactive render region, aid users in visualizing the final results of their work prior to the final render. The interface itself has been given a facelift as well, with the inclusion of new schemes and icons.

http://www.maxon.net/pages/dyn_files/dyn_htx/htx/1824/01824_01825_1.jpg (http://www.maxon.net/pages/dyn_files/dyn_htx/htx/1824/01824_01825_1_l.jpg) The advances in scene management will be especially helpful in character animation, the major focus of Release 10. Character animators will enjoy a new comprehensive toolset in the MOCCA module, offering joint-based skeletons with improved IK setup and solutions. Skin deformations allow the user to apply the entire animation from one skeleton to virtually any mesh. Automatic weighting saves time while binding joints to the mesh, and new weighting tools make it easy to adjust or manually weight each joint to the mesh. An extensive morph management system makes lip-syncing and facial animation simple, and the new MOCCA toolset also provides muscular deformation based on the animation of joints. Finally, the VAMP tool simply transfers morphs, UV coordinates, weighting, selections and vertex maps between objects of different topologies.

Every license of CINEMA 4D Release 10 now includes the functionality formerly available as the optional BodyPaint 3D module. This powerful toolset provides artists with unmatched UV editing and 3D painting tools.

About MAXON Computer
MAXON Computer is the developer of professional 3D modeling, painting, animation and rendering solutions. Its award-winning products have been used extensively in the film, television, science, architecture, engineering and other industries. MAXON products have been used for and in Open Season, Monster House, Superman Returns, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Serenity, War of the Worlds, Polar Express, The Flight of the Phoenix, Hero, Van Helsing, King Arthur, Spiderman, Spiderman 2, Haunted Mansion, Star Wars 2-The Attack of the Clones, the On-Air Packages for Comedy Central, Monday Night Football, Discovery Channel Canada, Mega Movers, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, ESPN,NFL Network,TiVO, NBC, DirecTV, CBS NFL, Smart House, Fox Kids and many more. MAXON has offices in Friedrichsdorf (Germany), Newbury Park (CA, USA), Bedford (UK) and Tokyo (JP).

http://www.maxon.net

Zendorf
10-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Wow...I am just blown away reading that list:twisted: Us Cinema users knew the CA goodness was going to arrive eventually, but now I can see it was truly worth the wait!

Am I reading that right about Bodypaint being included in the core? Amazing if true, and a very smart move on behalf of Maxon who will sell this puppy in droves.

Just two questions: Did some form of Xrefs make it to this version and when can I buy it!?

liquidik
10-04-2006, 12:16 PM
WOW Srek! Do you have some more information on that muscle system in Mocca ? Things are really starting to be interesting there... we need some screecasts of the new feature.

For now...congratulations Maxon!

Gian

perpen
10-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Just been in the website, and I just have to say "Good work!". I was one of the people who think that you needed a more glamorous look in your design of interface, website, etc...Now you got it!...and if you got Mocca and overall speed workflow better, I really think that you are one step above competitors now.

Nichod
10-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Bodypaint being included is cool. But I still think MOCCA and the Advance Render module should be included in the CORE. I only say that because ever competing application including XSI:FND has this functionality intergrated.

Looks to be an exciting release otherwise.

brammelo
10-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Am I reading that right about Bodypaint being included in the core? Amazing if true, and a very smart move on behalf of Maxon who will sell this puppy in droves.

Yes, BodyPaint is included in the core. There are also a couple of new BP-features in it, like HDRI-painting and LSCM-mapping.

cookepuss
10-04-2006, 01:57 PM
WOW! Looks like a fantastic upgrade. Good going, Maxon. :thumbsup:

Here's hoping that my editors snag me a review, which would be cool since I also reviewed R8 & R9. Cannot wait to try it.

I literally did a happy dance when I saw the announcement earlier.:D

Byla
10-04-2006, 02:03 PM
yeah, to the majority of the Cinema users, this is gonna be major. Finnaly we are on pair with others in the CA field while the other ones have been taken care of years ago.

brammelo
10-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Bodypaint being included is cool. But I still think MOCCA and the Advance Render module should be included in the CORE. I only say that because ever competing application including XSI:FND has this functionality intergrated.

Well, the basic functionality of MOCCA is available in the core. Check this thread to read more about it:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=412848&page=3

Nichod
10-04-2006, 02:11 PM
yeah, to the majority of the Cinema users, this is gonna be major. Finnaly we are on pair with others in the CA field while the other ones have been taken care of years ago.

Wait and see before counting your chickens.

That sounded a little harsh. didn't mean it too:) Just saying lets try it before spouting praise. A great step in the right direction by maxon though!

fabianR
10-04-2006, 02:13 PM

Looks to be an exciting release otherwise.

Well, its not on the web-site, but as a matter of fact a lot of the new ca tools are part of the core app, including joints, weight system, IK (2d, 3d and spline) and constraints. MOCCA 3 has the very lovely new morph-system (the best I've seen!), VAMP and muscles.

synixz
10-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Maxon Released C4D R10 and BP3 !!!

Download here: ftp://ftp.maxon.net/pub/r10/cinema4dr10demo.zip (tooo busy atm)

The new interface looks awesome :D

vbvcvj
10-04-2006, 02:29 PM
It seems C4D is starting to be a real CA friendly apps! And maybe the best one ! :thumbsup: Congratulations Maxon team ! :thumbsup:

ThirdEye
10-04-2006, 03:22 PM
The new interface looks awesome :D

you don't know how happy i am to read that, thanks ;)

duddlebug
10-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Cool!

I'm looking at buying into a package for 3D character visualisation and was a bit put off about having to fork out a few hundred quid extra for bodypaint on top of the core package!

Has anyone found anywhere on the Maxon site with UK pricing (not Euros)... I can't find the old UK shop?

EDiT: Hmmm... I've found the UK shop but it's still listing version 9.5!! Bah!! I 'spose i'll have to wait a little while for the UK to catch up!

ThirdEye
10-04-2006, 05:21 PM

Doubt XSI:FND has Bodypaint3D integrated in the core tho.

lildragon
10-04-2006, 05:26 PM

Hehe :p , I haven't changed it yet either, great job.

Cheers

talos72
10-04-2006, 05:48 PM
My main question is how much will be the upgrade cost or R9.6 users? :)

benytone
10-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks you so much MAXON, very nice, very fast Muscle, killer Update :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Srek
10-04-2006, 05:59 PM
My main question is how much will be the upgrade cost or R9.6 users? :)
Check the Maxon Shop
Cheers
Björn

InsertCredit
10-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Ah, very, very nice looking release :)
Can't wait to try my hand at the new features and drooling over the new interface.

Still gonna skip on the demo though, I'll hold out for a few days (weeks?) till I get my retail copy :love:

monovich
10-04-2006, 08:18 PM
congrats on a nice looking upgrade. Those features (as well as the rest of Cinema) look nice. I probably would have already at least have added it to my toolkit if not outright jumped ship if I didn't have so much already invested in my current package + plugins.

the scale keeps tipping...

Per-Anders
10-04-2006, 08:28 PM
congrats on a nice looking upgrade. Those features (as well as the rest of Cinema) look nice. I probably would have already at least have added it to my toolkit if not outright jumped ship if I didn't have so much already invested in my current package + plugins.

the scale keeps tipping...

They sometimes offer competative sidegrades (that don't mean you have to relinquish your old software), I'm not sure if that's in place currently, but you could always phone them up to find out, they're pretty friendly, dunno if that might make it tip in your interest any further.

lordblitzkrieg
10-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Oh wow! Finally, this is soo great! The two biggest things to me are the integration of ray-traced painting and UV editing in all editions, and the new CA tools. And the interface/packaging look really good too. Unfortunatley money doesn't come easy to those of us who are students. Guess I will just have to wait. Looks really good though!

pgp_protector
10-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Check the Maxon Shop
Cheers
Björn

maxonshop.com is undergoing essential maintenance

We'll be back as soon as possible

Your maxonshop.com team

That's what I see when trying to get pricing info.

artisanicview
10-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Happy Birthday And Congratulations Maxon, You Deserve This!

williamsburroughs
10-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Nice work on the 20th anniversary version of C4D. There are a lot of great new tools in there, and some loverly workflow optimizations that make animating so much easier and nicer.

I love the refreshed UI. Great job all around guys. Now...go and get some rest. :)

:buttrock:

punchatz
10-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Hmmm not a Cinema 4d user but I am an huge body paint fan and it got quite an update as well. Plus if I am reading between the lines corectly BP3 is really the base version of c4d now?

"And much more...
BodyPaint 3D is so much more than just texturing. With just a flick of a switch, BodyPaint users can now access all the tools of CINEMA 4D R10 which gives a full suit of modelling, animation and rendering tools. With BodyPaint 3D R3, your only limit is your imagination."

That will be cool as I have thought for a while now I would like to do some digital matte painting type stuff in BP but lacked the motion end of the package.

Does any one know if there is a point oven plug in for C4d? As an XSI user I could see a few things I might like do in C4d if I had a proper pipe to go back and forth between the two with a point cache system like point oven.

Greg

ftaswin
10-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Wow....

But.....

Until I try it myself how the new mocca works I won't get seduced easily..... New interface... hmmm.. I never mind the old one.... Layer... lifesaver... Bodypaint in core... welldone!!!

Ft

Per-Anders
10-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Hmmm not a Cinema 4d user but I am an huge body paint fan and it got quite an update as well. Plus if I am reading between the lines corectly BP3 is really the base version of c4d now?

Yes it is.

As to your other question there's a free MDD reader and Writer plugin available for C4D from here - http://www.animationsnippets.com/plugins/index.html It also has numerous other Import/Export options that may suit your needs better depending on exactly what you want ot transfer (FBX etc).

pnc
10-05-2006, 02:59 AM
Great, I am glad I decided to hold off the upgrade a few months ago. Now I save some money by not needing to upgrade BodyPaint.

michaeli
10-05-2006, 04:55 AM
The builtin muscle system seems awesome !!! :eek:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=412995

http://home.arcor.de/benytone/mus04.jpg

http://home.arcor.de/benytone/musA1.jpg

http://home.arcor.de/benytone/musB1.jpg

kraal
10-05-2006, 06:21 AM
what about system requirements... i am on a g4 and cant upgrade maya 8 to work on this system and cant get new software and computer at same time

Srek
10-05-2006, 06:32 AM
The requirements haven't changed much from R9, I have to check for the exact wording.
On Mac OS X 10.4 is recommended although 10.3.9 should work also. ON Intel Macs with the nvidia 7300 cards 10.4.8 is neccesary for OGL. 1 GB is recommended but it should work with 512 MB (not much fun though).

Hope this helps

Björn

Shilts
10-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Whoooaaa!!!

This is one serious update. I will be upgrading ASAP.

Absolutely fantastic work Maxon, well done. Great to see BP integrated into the core / core integrated into BP as well, really smart move there.

There are so many improvements and new features it is almost like a new app, yet just as user friendly as ever.

almux
10-05-2006, 09:28 AM
what about system requirements... i am on a g4 and cant upgrade maya 8 to work on this system and cant get new software and computer at same time
This is strange. I just downloaded the latest MAYA LE at Autodesk and it works pretty well on my G4 DMM 2x1ghz...

re-edit: Oh... read Srek's article later... I have build 10.4.8 and 2Gb ram...

Carina
10-05-2006, 11:25 AM

Aw, look at the attention seeker:p

poly-phobic
10-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Doubt XSI:FND has Bodypaint3D integrated in the core tho.

yea, tough call.

3d painting, or full fledge rigging tools and MR...

--
downloding the demo :)

kraal
10-05-2006, 03:39 PM
The requirements haven't changed much from R9, I have to check for the exact wording.
On Mac OS X 10.4 is recommended although 10.3.9 should work also. ON Intel Macs with the nvidia 7300 cards 10.4.8 is neccesary for OGL. 1 GB is recommended but it should work with 512 MB (not much fun though).

Hope this helps

Björn
well that helps ..... dling demo now...... i think i maybe calling that 877 number soon

KsiKsu
10-05-2006, 05:47 PM
its a shame that the muscular system has no soft body function

;/

but the rest is cool,, a better f curve system would be nice :P

Per-Anders
10-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Just out of interest what do you dislike about the f-curve system? (by the way before passing judgement on it, in case all youv'e found is the mini f-curves you may wish to check out the cineversity quick intros on it here : http://www.cineversity.com/tutorials/index.asp?cid=1&ssp=CINEMA+4D+10 )

Gwot
10-06-2006, 12:58 AM
Is there a way to animate in layers in version 10? If so, can you also filter the keys display on the timeline by layer?

I'm trying to find the answer to my own question in the demo but I'm either missing something or the program is and I'm just not aware of it yet. =D

Per-Anders
10-06-2006, 01:08 AM
Is there a way to animate in layers in version 10? If so, can you also filter the keys display on the timeline by layer?

I'm trying to find the answer to my own question in the demo but I'm either missing something or the program is and I'm just not aware of it yet. =D

Hi yes, once you've set a track to a specific layer you can filter it out using the "Layer Browser" window (Window->Layer Browerser) using the "Manager" option for visibility in the timeline (looks like a tiny tree view, you may need to show it in the layers browser by going to it's "View" menu and checking it there if it's not visible by default), then the "Animation" (looks like a film strip) to turn on/off it's actually animating. You can then add additional tracks as needed to your object by right clicking on it in the timeline and adding either property tracks or special tracks, this means you can have one layer with a certain type of positoin move for an object then switch that animation off using the layers and switch on a totally different animation position move, just using layers to contorl your tracks.

Gwot
10-06-2006, 01:30 AM
Cool, thanks Per. I was almost there... had multiple position tracks for the same object along with multiple layers but wasn't quite able to see my keys on another track. At least I know it can be done. I'll keep playing with it as it's pretty straight forward so far. Love the new UI, and especially all the new animation features. I'm thinking this update might just be the one that sells me on c4d. I was only really holding out for animation improvements and it looks like a lot of what I wanted to see in this update is actually in it and more!

LucentDreams
10-06-2006, 02:59 AM
yea, tough call.

3d painting, or full fledge rigging tools and MR...

--
downloding the demo :)

The scripting compared to XSI is definitely worse, but one on one rigging tools, I think you'd be surprised with this version, though I'd say joints are a little more like maya than xsi.

almux
10-06-2006, 06:46 AM
Grrr!... Makes me more than nervous... drives me crazy, in fact! Till end of year I'll have to decide wich pro 3d app I'll buy...
At school, last year, I had C4D and Maya teached. Maya blew me off and flashed me with thrills along my spine... yet, C4D was decent too and this version seams to make a uge difference... and C4D is UB.
Autodesk, please! Do something! ;..( Maya 8.5 should deffinitely go for UB) or I might turn my back and go for another love!
C4D has also a nicer price (hair and cloth systems included) than Maya unlimited... ;(

daevid
10-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Anyone heard any news on game export functions? This is what currently keeps me from making a switch...

/David

LucentDreams
10-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Anyone heard any news on game export functions? This is what currently keeps me from making a switch...

/David

no changes here I'm sad to say

lildragon
10-07-2006, 11:26 AM
no changes here I'm sad to say

Though rest assure daevid, a request has been formerly made for the collada export format.

Cheers

mimo8
10-07-2006, 01:12 PM
I just tried the demo version and me and all the guys here in our little studio are just
BLOWN AWAY !!!

clicking through the presets (that are direct accessible through the content browser) tells it all.
HATS OFF

CONGRATULATIONS MAXON !!!

the biggest software supprise 2006
just great

duddlebug
10-19-2006, 11:18 AM
I've just been on the UK store and Maxon are currently offering a free R10 upgrade for anyone buying 9.5 now. It seems like good deal, because 9.5 is cheaper than R10... i could save nearly £90 off the base package in the UK (9.5 is £499 and R10 will be £586). And Bodypaint is still thrown in with R10 of course!

I think the US offer is slightly better. I think they've actually knocked some money off the price of 9.5 and you still get the free upgrade!

Seems like a good deal for anyone thinking of buying into Cinema 4D..?

(I'm seriously tempted! My finger's twitching on my credit card!)

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2006, 11:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.