PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Conaty Visual Effects Reel!

p4roxysm
10-04-2006, 02:04 AM
Hey everyone,

Well, I've finally finished my first vfx demo reel and I'd love to hear some crits and comments from you all. It's been a very challenging and rewarding year at VFS and I'd like to thank everyone who supported me during this process!

The Reel is split up into two commercial concepts. The first one is for a made up company and the second should be a little more familiar to most of you.

Come check it out at:

www.patrickconaty.com (http://www.patrickconaty.com)

or:

http://www.ryanmcdougal.com/downloads/patrickconaty2006_LARGE1.mov

Here's a couple shots from the reel:
Enjoy!

http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d58patrick/downloads/Cheetah02.jpg

http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d58patrick/downloads/Frogs01.jpg

(http://www.ryanmcdougal.com/downloads/patrickconaty2006_LARGE1.mov)

J.Gaeta
10-04-2006, 02:15 AM
Holy crap, I get to be the first to reply! Your talents amaze me! I love your work and I wish you all the best. You should be fighting them off with this one....

Jeff

p0rcupine
10-04-2006, 02:52 AM
Hey man like I said before ur reel's amazing.. you got good eyes for design for sure buddy. My favorite is the frog one. Great job! Hope we can work together in the future. :D

JBoskma
10-04-2006, 04:26 AM
Awesome reel and fantastic presentation of the breakdowns. It has been a pleasure sharing my VFS year with you man. Your reel looks and sounds more then sweet. 5 stars from me.

Rens
10-04-2006, 05:18 AM
Patricks ;)

Cool stuff there man, didn't see the updated breakdowns before... sleek, slick and suave.

R

byocyde
10-04-2006, 05:33 AM
Nice work. The texturing on that frog is phenominal. Very inspiring. Im just starten out with my schooling and found this to be freaken awsome. Im motivated, thanks pal. Gonna go bust out my maya book.

wierdteaparty
10-04-2006, 05:49 AM
Really cool the light cheetah was truly awesome. My only comment really isn't a technical or artistic one I was just wondering if it was sposed to be advertising myoptics like the second one is advertising mtv, if so I thing the correlation between myoptics and the cheetah isn't clear, at least in my mind. Either way I think the myoptics logo isn't shown long enough.

p4roxysm
10-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Hey thanks for the comments everyone!!

weirdteaparty, I know what you mean about the myoptics logo. I'll admit it was a bit of last minute decision. I wanted to stay away from advertising a car or something similar because it might be a bit too expected. I think it might help if I were to create a tag line or slogan underneath the logo that somehow links the visuals to the company.

SamBe
10-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Yeah, very great work man!!!:D :thumbsup:

PHO 75
10-05-2006, 02:33 AM
killer work patrick. how do you pull off two projects in 6 months. and at this quality. really solid stuff. my only crit maybe on the frog, just the way the frog on the log settles its front limbs at the end. maybe it's just me but seems like it stops too sudden. Everything else is kick a$$. good luck with the job hunt buddy

gatorji
10-05-2006, 05:55 PM
great job patrick!!...i guess people actually do stuff in scholarship. glad you got it. the redone piece is much better. it was a pleasure to work by you this past year. best of luck to you, and hopefully we can work together again one day

nikkons
10-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Hey Man ! .... . . .
hey . . .... ..... ... . DAMN NICE ! is all that comes to my mind . hope to seeing more from you later on.

JuanJO ( dominican dude on adapt )

Sherif.Nagib
10-06-2006, 02:36 AM
Gr8 work and Awesome concepts man :thumbsup:, I really dig the whole thing.. my only crits would be the animation of tail on the cheetah, could've been more dynamic. but other than that everything looks right, good job with the weight of the frog too.

sherif, 3d54 :beer:

edit: what about the soundtrack used for the frogs bit , can you give me the name of the band/singer & track name plz ?

bernoccoli
10-06-2006, 08:18 AM
frogs are very cool! great compositing, great shading! congratulations.. i think the whole reel is just a little too long. i would shorten the frogs' breakdown, it's reiterated too many times.

have a nice day.

Sherif.Nagib
10-07-2006, 08:54 PM
thx for the pm dude, got the whole album ..and I just love it.. good taste :buttrock:

nessus
10-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Really liked your compositing of the bridge, really like the feel of it.

and personally i like your project 02 better, like the idea and the background music, really cool stuff.

Neejoh
10-09-2006, 09:34 AM
I like the idea of stitching the photo's together, never thought of doing that. Overall it looks great, in my eyes it's even perfect! Well done Patrick, keep it up.

dmc3d
10-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Hey Patrick

Nice reel dude, i know how much time did u spend in your first project, but the froggs are my favorites. The textures are really good and the scene very well done. Congrats man.
Was so nice to study with you this years and i hope to see more about you soon
Take care

Daniel

pommegenozide
10-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Have seen your WIP(presentation) of that light-panther for a while and really like it, and at the grad show on Friday your piece is really AWESOME!

lildragon
10-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Excellent breakdowns and dug the lil behind the scenes tidbits in there. The frogs looked real at first glance. Very well done congrats.

{plugged}

Cheers and best of luck!

mynewcat
10-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Boss - nice work - you make it all look so easy!

Nice choice in music too.

tmr232
10-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Amazing work!
I really liked the frogs, they are cool!

untelon
10-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Good range of talent Patrick. These are all around very nice pieces.

theotheo
10-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Congrats on the front page Patrick!

Thats a really strong vfx reel, you should be very proud!
cheers!

-the0

Lelyte
10-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Hey Patrick you got some nice stuff there. I was wondering if you have a site with anymore work on it. I'm actually looking for some junior 3D guys, I just don't want to mention my company on the forum. When you get a chance please contact me at vfxdesign@gmail.com Hope to hear from you soon.

gpepper
10-09-2006, 05:53 PM
I've seen this reel this afternoon, before it was on front page and I said:
One of the best vfx reel I've ever seen !
Another cool work from VFS !
5 stars for sure !

-Sai-
10-09-2006, 06:07 PM
awesome work !!

Can you tell me what video camera do you use for frog sequence?

LukaStellwag
10-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Awsome reel, one of the best I've ever seen. The music is cool, whats the band called again?

Have you done the 3d stuff in maya?

Heber
10-09-2006, 06:41 PM
very nice reel,
vfs students never cease to impress me, i really liked the frog breakdown ,great skills shown there.
best of luck.

XTitan
10-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Beautiful work :)

PhuongDPh
10-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Perfect demoreel !
I really like the frog project.
No comments

Badger
10-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Really, really really nice reel Patrick. What do they do to you guys there at VFS? :D

Goodluck on your job hunting.

PS:could you also PM me with the name of the tracks from your reel? Good choice of music :).

buttachunk
10-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Excellent ! :bounce:

The shots are very well planned and implemented. The animations are beautiful, and the composites are wonderful.
:love:

pum
10-09-2006, 08:45 PM
amazing reel. The frogs kick ass!

-Herb

Briareos
10-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Congrats on completing your reel. It's very solid. Great work all around! :thumbsup:

Pasargad
10-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Amazing Work, so nice job.

maxspider3000
10-09-2006, 10:15 PM
AWESOME work, Patrik ...
man ... the scene of the glowing tiger is one of the most amazing vfx scene i have ever seen ... I guess the breakedowns of the scenes are so useful, you did a greet efforts in that work ..

congrats for the FP :applause:

MFlemming
10-09-2006, 10:37 PM
awesome reel man! :bounce:

i also prefer the second project, the frogs are looking great and the idea is cool.. Project one is impressive, too. I especially like the music when the panter passes the camera.. fits perfect!

regards,

Manuel

wesware
10-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Very nice.
Quite a lesson in compositing for me.
It continually amazes me what can be done with a little ingenuity (and masks).

Gkaine
10-10-2006, 12:52 AM
nice job man. you didnt disapoint.

elnady
10-10-2006, 01:41 AM
WOW

Fantastic demoreel,great work man :)
How did you stitch the 5 shots together did you use photoshop or another software?
Good luck!

Gelero
10-10-2006, 02:21 AM
Fantastic piece of work!
Very nice overall, especially the composition in the first spot.

Anyway, I have been wandering for a quite while trying to figure out how create a camera movement using that stitched map.

Can somebody explain?

And, of course, keep up the good work

ratatat
10-10-2006, 02:33 AM
wow. awesome reel. the frog's dropping was really cool. niceeeeeeeee job patrick!
:applause:

Igo
10-10-2006, 03:14 AM
pfft... average. Im offended with the animal abuse, how dare you.

issaid
10-10-2006, 04:02 AM
That reel was amazing. The Project 1 is one of my top animations from this site now. Excellent! Best of luck in whatever ventures come your way!!!

Djampa
10-10-2006, 05:29 AM
Hey... that's so good ! :scream:

Amazing reel !

5 stars !

I loved those frogs ! Hardworking there eh?

Best wishes ! Good luck ! :thumbsup: :)

murphmanstudios
10-10-2006, 06:18 AM
Hey Patrick, it's Brandon (Megan's b/f)...

...as I've said before, the work is awesome. And I noticed that you updated your reel, it's much better with the breakdown of the first half.

Excellent stuff, it's awesome to see you've got front page material now.

Dr Dardis
10-10-2006, 07:51 AM
Great stuff Patrick!!

I particularly like the second "MTV" ident, it is a great idea and well executed. Cougar was great to.

This reel has got me pumped!

Chris D.

ps. Was nice to see the old Burrard bridge again... many happy cold late nights walking home on that sucker ;)

p0rcupine
10-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Hey Patrick, congratz on front page! you deserve it 100 percent.

well done... like I said before I really luv ur frog shot..!

Good luck in the future hope we can see each other in the field... Take care buddy

DrQuincy
10-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Really great reel! The frog is lovely!

Goron
10-10-2006, 12:35 PM
excellent work's there. Bravo.

jlyapor
10-10-2006, 04:00 PM
very nice work man, those frogs are pretty funny, and the 'panther' is just cool. I like the colors you chose for it and it also has good timing with the music. good luck! woopwoop.

Tim Miller
10-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Well, I've finally finished my first vfx demo reel and I'd love to hear some crits and comments from you all. It's been a very challenging and rewarding year at VFS and I'd like to thank everyone who supported me during this process!

Hey Patrick, beautiful work! If you want to move down to LA we've got a job for you here at blur! Just drop us an email. Great stuff.:thumbsup:

Tim Miller
Creative Director
blur

jonathanc
10-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey Patrick (this is Jonathan)

Great work on the reel man. It looks awesome. People here love it and you know there's an opportunity if you're interested.

Jonathan

Triple G
10-10-2006, 08:48 PM
The actual animation of the cheetah comes across a bit herky-jerky, but everything else is spot-on. Excellent use of mixing practical elements with CG...something that's often overlooked. Great job!

seedo
10-10-2006, 10:34 PM
i downloaded it but it doesnt work on quick time y?:sad:

HappyCalaveras
10-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Excellent work combining so many separate elements into a seamless whole for each shot, congratulations on a great reel.

p4roxysm
10-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Wow, I'm really blown away by all the comments! Thanks to everyone for taking the time to watch my reel! It was an absolute blast to make and yet at the same time, I'm so glad I'm finished with it! ;-)

lildragon - I too think the frogs look real at first glance, but I still think they could be tweaked more. I'm not sure if it's the color or the intensity and shape of the spec that's throwing me off, but something could be adjusted for sure.

Sai - I used a digital slr to shoot both projects. It was a Nikkon D100 w/ a 28-120mm lens. The ocean and sand splash video footage was shot on a Panasonic 24p at 30fps

Littlelluk - I used XSI for all the 3D on my reel. Maya is great, but I'm a lot more familiar with XSI at the moment.

Elnady/Gelero - the photos were stitched together manually in photoshop and the camera move was created in After Effects. You can do it a number of ways, but I think that I just keyed in the position and scale of a null that the panoramic photo was linked to and then fought with the curves until I got the motion I was looking for. I then brought the rendered sequence into XSI and hand track the road/cheetah to it.

Thanks again for your comments!

doobobth
10-11-2006, 05:54 AM
so coooool^^
I love your frog patrick

jddog
10-11-2006, 08:08 AM
Really a wonderful work, like it a lot ! Congratulations

Julien

philippeduvin
10-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Gosh, Patrick, this is freakin awesome man !!

I love the frog one and especially the breakdowns. I'm an animator but I always be amazed by compositing and visual effects and seeing the "behind the scenes" just make me want to do the same :) I don't know if it has been asked before but what software did you used ? Shake ? Combustion ?

Congrats on the front page dude

brkn
10-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Fantastic reel, mate. I love the way you integrated the live action splashes and sand hits rather than trying to futz around with particles or simulation like many people probably would. That part looks like it would have been a lot of fun :)

TwinsenDude
10-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Wow I absolutely love that frog one! The filmed effects blend in perfectly!

I guess the one thing I don't like about the running [what kind of cat was it? panther? etc] was that I feel like in its animation the hind legs (on the slow motion part) slide on the ground as if the speed of the movement isn't completely synched up with the leg animation speed.

beatpixels
10-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Damn man that is AWESOME showreel!! The frog, it's just so nice, the music is perfect for the frog thing.

LittleDragonsTao
10-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Dude awesome work. Seriously though, how does everyone afford to go to VFS? I would love to go and work out a demo reel like this but $46000 loan wont be happening without a cosigner. Ouch. Superb work.

mustan9
10-11-2006, 07:53 PM
I liked it very much. Very cool.

The break downs are a little over done. Most houses hiring Flame compositors assume you know how to do color correction, composite, reference live footage, etc.. etc.. You could reduce the break downs by grouping changes together as "color correction", and not walk the viewer over every little change.

I think you took your demo reel from a more technical perspective, and every shot had a 3D element in it. Which is cool, but not all Flame houses work with 3D elements.

I've seen guys do animated cartoons completely in Flame. All the coloring, rendering, and character animation. I feel your reel is lacking something along those lines. It's one thing to composite footage together, but to animate and create something new seems to be the skill Flame houses need the most.

Just my 2 cents. :shrug:

EDIT: I have no idea where my head is today, but I just realized that no where on your post does it say this was a Discreet Flame demo reel. I must be going crazy.

uniraptor
10-11-2006, 10:51 PM

FracoisBennet
10-11-2006, 11:53 PM
I think someone forgot to put the name of the guy that animated the frog in this peice into the credits.

Oh... So who did the animation? Not you Patrick? Hmmm I think you should at least put the name of the animator!:sad:

But the compositing is very well done!

p4roxysm
10-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey, Uniraptor (Justin Lewis) did indeed lend his awesome animation skills for the last bit of the hero frog - the part just after he slides down the log. Getting him to roll over on the ground after the slide was very difficult (for me anyway), so he helped me get the groundwork in place for that part. Thanks to Justin!!!
Otherwise, all other animation was created by myself

TwinsenDude - good call on the cheetah's leg movement. I think it's mainly a tracking issue with the ground plane. I thought a quick fix would be to use the mesh warp tool in After Effects to push that data over to keep in place. But with time constraints I couldn't get to everything. That's definitely at the top of my list though.

mustan9 - lol, you had me a little confused at first. No worries though. Actually it was interesting to read your comments as I've always been really curious about using Flame...and more importantly, knowing when to use Flame.

seedo
10-12-2006, 06:04 PM
guys the movie is not working on my pc, i have quick time!

ipdesigner
10-12-2006, 08:16 PM
*awesome!!!:bounce:

Illusion-shadow
10-12-2006, 09:03 PM
how did you do those line on the cheetah? I have always wonder how people did it. Do you mind sharing your skill? Thanks!

tomeczek
10-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Amazing! It's a pleasure to watch that work!

vineethjose
10-13-2006, 04:18 PM
i am inspired!

how is that 'line' thing done..mind sharing?

Rawk
10-13-2006, 05:06 PM
That is really amazing, I love both projects as well as the breakdowns...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fess
10-13-2006, 09:01 PM
I would luv to view/critique, but I simply can't see the .mov.

Downloaded it 3 times (bit & small), opens in qt & sticks and lags annoyingly. :banghead:

What kinda encoded .mov is that? Anyone experiece this issue?

Regards
Fess

EDIT: Downloaded QT 7.1 on my workstation an it worked.....then I passed out!:eek:

Prim
10-13-2006, 09:27 PM
I just enjoyed it! The one with tiger is really really really cool !!!
P.S. How do you like it at Vancouver Film School?

citizenpayne
10-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Man this is trully amazing. The breakdown is explained perfectly :applause:

p4roxysm
10-14-2006, 03:06 AM
Hey guys,

A couple ppl asked how the glowing lines were created. There's probably several ways to do it, (including particles) but I did it using a lot of nulls (locators), curves, and lattices.

After modeling the proxy cheetah I drew out curves around the body in the design that I liked. Afterwards, I constrained hundreds of nulls to point clusters on the cheetah where the lines were. I then had each point 100% weighted to the corresponding null. So now the curves deformed correctly when the cheetah is animated! I extruded cylinders over the curves and animated a fractal texture over them to break it up a bit. For the trailing curves that follow the cheetah I created static lattices with a wave shape to them. So whenever the curves move over the lattice they will deform in the shape of a wave as they pass.

I then rendered out each curve separately (which took no time at all since they were basically materials with a constant shader applied) then in after effects I applied the "glow" effect and tweaked the color of each curve separately.

To create the glow on the ground I used an ambient occlusion pass from the cheetah and changed the color of it in post.

So that was the approach I took. Like I said there's probably a lot of different ways to go about it. Probably faster ones too! Since finishing the project I now see a few things that would have sped up the process greatly. I would love to hear if anyone knows any others ways to tackle this sort of problem!!

Prim
10-14-2006, 03:17 AM
So, that`s what you guys do at VFS?
How do you like it there?

MarcosJoannes
10-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Hey guys,

A couple ppl asked how the glowing lines were created. There's probably several ways to do it, (including particles) but I did it using a lot of nulls (locators), curves, and lattices.

After modeling the proxy cheetah I drew out curves around the body in the design that I liked. Afterwards, I constrained hundreds of nulls to point clusters on the cheetah where the lines were. I then had each point 100% weighted to the corresponding null. So now the curves deformed correctly when the cheetah is animated! I extruded cylinders over the curves and animated a fractal texture over them to break it up a bit. For the trailing curves that follow the cheetah I created static lattices with a wave shape to them. So whenever the curves move over the lattice they will deform in the shape of a wave as they pass.

I then rendered out each curve separately (which took no time at all since they were basically materials with a constant shader applied) then in after effects I applied the "glow" effect and tweaked the color of each curve separately.

To create the glow on the ground I used an ambient occlusion pass from the cheetah and changed the color of it in post.

So that was the approach I took. Like I said there's probably a lot of different ways to go about it. Probably faster ones too! Since finishing the project I now see a few things that would have sped up the process greatly. I would love to hear if anyone knows any others ways to tackle this sort of problem!!

Great idea! Congratulations!

Loewi
10-15-2006, 08:51 PM
awesome job patrick, greatly deserved frontpage, go get a job you bum :)

PureMoxi
10-16-2006, 12:47 AM
Hey man. Remind me next time you want me to mirror some files -- to ask you if you are going to become some crazy frontpage sensation...thanks for eating up all my bandwidth...jenky blankity blank jack blank.

Just kidding. You deserve it.

The one thing that I dig the most is your use of practical live footage for the sand and water splashes on the frog project. In an world of cg, strangely, I think that was the most intelligent choice. I agree with another guy who posted here that most people would try to futz with particles and what not. Smart choice...Congrats.

Lupin500
10-17-2006, 02:53 AM
Fantastic reel Patrick! Congratulations!:thumbsup:

sdougm
01-09-2007, 07:16 PM
any1 have any idea how reproduce cheetah line effects in 3dsMax???
its amazing !
thanks

Doug

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2007, 07:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.