PDA

View Full Version : Japanese PS3 launch details finalized. Prices and features.

RuinedMessiah
10-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Okay, we all know about the console prices themselves. The 60 GB version remains open priced while the 20 GB version is now around $420. Well, at a consumer electronics show today, Sony came out, big time, on finalized launch details including game pricing, peripheral pricing, browser functonality, and even the options on the XMB interface menu.

Web Browsing...
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/736/736959p1.html

"Japan's Impress Watch provided some impressions of browser use. Using the Six Axis controller (that's the PS3 controller's official name, in case you just woke up), you move a cursor around with the left analogue stick and use the right stick to scroll the screen up and down. Circle is for making selections, with L1 and R1 serving as back and forward buttons. Links can be open in a second window, which lines up next to the current window. The windows can be toggled between using L2 and R2. The site reports that, thanks to the PS3's compatibility with high resolution monitors, webpages are easy to look at when browsing on the PS3."

Full Explanation of Media Bar
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/736/736934p1.html

"USER
Add a newuser

SETTINGS
Setting Update
System Settings
Sound Settings
BD/DVD Settings
Date and time Settings
Security Settings
Music (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/736/736934p1.html#) Settings
Accessory Settings
Network Settings
Chat Settings
Display Settings

PHOTO
Folder

MUSIC
Super Audio CD
Music CD
Folder

VIDEO
BD-ROM / BD-R / BD-RE
DVD Video / DVD-VR / DVD+VR / AVCHD
Folder

GAME (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/736/736934p1.html#)
Game Data Management
Memory Card Management (PS/PS2)
Save Data Management
PlayStation 3 Game Disk

NETWORK
Remote Play
Internet Browser
PlayStation Store

FRIENDS
Friend Registration
Players With Whom You've Played
Message Box"

Peripheral Pricing...
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/736/736936p1.html

"Sony Computer Entertainment Interactive announced today the first official set of PlayStation 3 peripherals for Japan. The company has three PS3 accessories planned for Japanese release in the near future: a remote control, a wireless controller and a memory card reader."

Converted from Yen
Controller with built-in Lith-Ion battery: $43.36
BluRay Remote: $31.22
PS2/PS1 Memory Card Reader: $13.01

Launch game pricing
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/736/736935p1.html

"PS3 launch game prices range from the unexpectedly low to the slightly higher than expected. "

Converted Prices
Mahjong Fight Club National Competition Edition: $45.35
Mahjong Taikai IV: $43.71
Resistance: $51.86
Genji: $51.86
Sega Golf Club: $61.92
Sonic the Hedgehog: $61.92
Ridge Racer 7: $63.56
Gundam: $63.56
Armored Core 4 retains it's traditional pricing: $71.03

Damn, that was a whole lot of news. This should give us some clearer view of US and Europian pricing.

EnlightenedPixel
10-03-2006, 08:23 PM
I want a PS3 but that launch lineup is horrible. I hope more are up and ready to go by the time it's out in the US.

SheepFactory
10-03-2006, 08:29 PM
I wouldnt call assasins creed , resistance , genji , heavenly sword , etc a horrible lineup. Its much better than the horrible xbox 360 launch games.

EnlightenedPixel
10-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Oh, sorry, I didnt mean the games. Just the volume. There needs to be more games.

RuinedMessiah
10-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Japanese launches are usually small. Keep in mind, several US deved games are making PS3 launch for the US that they aren't seeing in Japan. Like Warhawk, Oblivion, Ultimate Alliance, Tony Hawk 8, etc.

thoughtlesswhisper
10-03-2006, 09:42 PM
woa. cmon guys. you gotta admit thats a pretty lame launch lineup. I mean after all the stick people gave 360. It had a lot more games than that. The only one iv heard of there is ridge racer 7. 360 had 6 launch games from EA alone. Im sure they had 20-40 launch games tho not 100% sure.

It seems rather lack lustre considering all the hype.
Assassins creed is coming to xbox first anyway so thats a cheaper alternative right there at an earlier date. Sorry, but this ps3 launch lineup is going to do little to shush the 360 fanboys. I would have expected at last one of their flagship franchises.... (mgs4 , Gt, FF, devil may cry, Re etc....)

EnlightenedPixel
10-03-2006, 10:30 PM
woa. cmon guys. you gotta admit thats a pretty lame launch lineup. I mean after all the stick people gave 360. It had a lot more games than that. The only one iv heard of there is ridge racer 7. 360 had 6 launch games from EA alone. Im sure they had 20-40 launch games tho not 100% sure.

It seems rather lack lustre considering all the hype.
Assassins creed is coming to xbox first anyway so thats a cheaper alternative right there at an earlier date. Sorry, but this ps3 launch lineup is going to do little to shush the 360 fanboys. I would have expected at last one of their flagship franchises.... (mgs4 , Gt, FF, devil may cry, Re etc....)
"thoughtlesswhisper (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=232609) vbmenu_register("postmenu_3900790", true);
Frequenter
Z
TCG|Technical Certification Guidelines - Microsoft
Electronic Arts Inc.
London, United Kingdom"

I'm seeing a pattern here.

Your credentials and usual stance against Sony asside, lets chat. One game that specificly has my interest in the early release is Goddess of War.. I mean.. Heavenly Sword. The screenshots dont do it justice. It relies heavily on motion to sell it, I can only hope it's got a good story and a large variety of settings, enemies, puzzles etc to back it up. Also, the potential of playing all my old games, and playing all the new additions to my favorite series is a huge selling point, regardless if its released at launch or not. I feel sorry for Japan though, their innitial launch is going to be smaller than everyone elses, even if they do get the console first.

What DID 360 launch with ? King Kong.. and Call of Duity or something right?
But realy, there were 21 games, many of which were also on PC, or PS2, or were just slightly upgraded versions of previous franchises, such as DOA 4. By the looks of it, most of them seemed to be made for previous-gen technology.
Japan is getting half of that number in games, and its not even a world-wide launch, comparatively Japan's release is to something smaller than the state of Texas, or in global relation, Spain, I think.

And technicaly speaking, since this is the Japan release, the PS3 will most likely sell out incredibly fast where as the 360 is still being disounted to obcenely low prices to try and get people to buy it. So it most likely WILL do much to "shush the 360 fanboys".. In Japan, because apparently there aren't that many.

Personaly, I had hopes for the 360, but I havent been sold on a game that currently exists. However if I had the money, I'd buy a 360 if it was the only way to get Halo 3 or some other godly game that will never make it to PC in order to boost console sales. Hopefully it will never come to that, and Microsoft will come through with their 360/PC linkup.

RuinedMessiah
10-03-2006, 10:40 PM
*sigh*

If I must....

Xbox 360 Japanese Launch Lineup.
Every Party
Fifa 06: Road to FIFA World Cup
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Perfect Dark Zero
RIDGE RACER 6
Tetris: The Grandmaster Ace

Xbox 360 US Launch Lineup.
Amped 3
Call of Duty 2
Condemned: Criminal Origins
FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup
Full Auto
GUN
Kameo: Elements of Power
Madden NFL 06
NBA 2K6
NBA Live 06
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
NHL 2K6
Perfect Dark Zero
Perfect Dark Zero Limited Edition
Peter Jackson’s King Kong
Project Gotham Racing 3
QUAKE 4
Ridge Racer 6
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
Tony Hawk’s American Wasteland

PS3 titles confirmed for US Launch.
Blazing Angels
Call Of Duty 3
Fatal Inertia
FEAR
Fight Night Round 3
flOw
Full Auto 2
Genji 2
Madden 07
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Target In Sight
Motorstorm
NBA Live 07
Need For Speed Carbon
Resistance: Fall Of Man
Ridge Racer 7
Sonic The Hedgehog
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion
Tiger Wood PGA Tour 2007
Rainbow Six: Vega
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom

No word yet how many of PS3's launch games will be severely neutered like many of the 360's initial lineup. Also, as time approaches, expect games to either move up or move back on release. Also, I see that Assassins Creed is slated for March 1st on both 360 and PS3. What's this "we get it first" crap?

Bonedaddy
10-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Funny, I haven't seen a thing on it in any department store here or in Tokyo. It's all just PS2 versus Nintendo DS. If they're trying to hype it up, they're not doing a great job. I did see one sign for the wii in Akihabara, though.

The launch list isn't great, but it'll do okay in Japan. Almost everything here is brand-driven, so unless it says "Pokemon," "Sega," or has a number on the end, it's not going to do super well.

I think the wii will do better, having witnessed the culture in Japan. The wii is cuter. That alone will almost guarantee it victory.

RuinedMessiah
10-04-2006, 01:11 AM
There is some store in the Akahiba district that has a demo unit running. It's just running videos right now but it does exist. Can't find which store it was anymore.
http://akiba.keizai.biz/img/headline/1159460768_photo.jpg

EnlightenedPixel
10-04-2006, 01:25 AM
There is some store in the Akahiba district that has a demo unit running. It's just running videos right now but it does exist. Can't find which store it was anymore.
That PS3 OBELISK looking thing?

DoubleSupercool
10-05-2006, 07:08 AM
I saw the pricing for pre-orders today in Aus. AUD$1000. Not release until March/April next year. Excuse me while I keep my wallet in my trousers. Then again, IIRC, PS2 launched for about $1000 here as well.

RuinedMessiah
10-05-2006, 02:21 PM
At those prices, I can't seem to blame you. Truth be told, the main reason why I'm getting one launch day is mainly brand loyalty. For some reason, playstation always plays home to the games I'm most interested it and PS3 isn't breaking that trend. I mean, I'm sure I can find something in the launch lineup that interests me (actually, I know about four games I can snag) but it won't be the favored system for some time.

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2006, 02:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.