PDA

View Full Version : Non Linear Workflow for Short: Intense discussion.

thedoc
10-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Hey there,

I'm about to work on a shortfilm and have been an XSI user for quite some time. I have'nt really taken advantage of the NonLinear workflow a lot and i really want to do so. I want to discuss areas of interest as far as this goes and pick your minds on what i should spend time researching on and what features i should learn.

I want to work on a creature and really want to work as a team with some of the guys over here. Whats the best way to set this up?

I have'nt tried this but can I rig an instanced model???? then change the model later as i go along? How much can i do?

bblanar
10-06-2006, 07:55 AM
i am not a master. however since no one is helping or replying to this, i think you can reference an external model and rig it. however adjustments you make on your scene to the rig, i dunno. i would assume import the rig and adjust a master rig somewhere that updates for other people.

dont hold me to that.

im not at rigging yet, still mastering sub's. ive done a rigging tut.the organization and ability to reference and set presets so nicely is why i like xsi.

bust out the manual. imo.

http://www.xsifiles.com/

not much, but maybe something to help. and now, back to watching the 300 trailer a few more times.

mattmos
10-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Well, all your animators need to animate with is a rig which is roughly the right proprtions - you could try building a block version of the character, put a basic rig in there, and reference that model. Then while its being animated you can final the model, texture and add to the rig as long as you don't make any major adjustments (like removing legs, scaling parts etc) additions to the rig which help with enveloping/skinning are totally fine most times. Keep saving a scene with the latest version and export to the same place. ALternatively you can animate with a different model and transfer the animation over to the final rig (as long as naming conventions are similar etc).

mdee
10-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Usually what I do and tend to run into is skinning and animation rig.
Here is the process in short

- make armature rig, just bones, no automation, no controls
- save it to two files, name one skinning, second one animation

- run a script which adds some parameters on skinning rig (like what to connect to in animation rig, the simplest case that parameter would just contain bone name). Do the same parameter stuff on animation rig, but reverse direction. Lock those parameters. Note, we won't rely on names here, bad things can happen with names, esp. when two riggers work on animation and skinning rig, but it's still recommended to keep naming conventions for clarity sake.

- add all controls/automation you need to animation rig, do your bind rig muscle/envelopes stuff, whatever, sometimes you might want to import few parts into your animation rig. Envelope skinning rig . Add some sort of volume representation to animation rig, like boxes, slice the character, even add lo-res envelope.

- when you are happy (or not) with skinning rig, animation etc, both rigs can meet in one scene (possibly referenced). Run a script which checks for previously added parameters and constrain skinning -> animation bones.

If you are referencing, everything will work in assembly scene automatically (at least it should). If you are not, everythime you update skinning rig, just re-import and re-run connect script.

That way you can work in parallel - animate way before you have your enveloping done, have nice and fast animation rig, have different anim rigs for different shots, do really advanced skinning without worrying about slow rigs etc. At later points of pipeline you may want to switch to some sort of geometry caching and do your ligthing/deformation fixes etc.. using just plain meshes (that might be a bit overkill for home short production, tho) Possibilities are endless and I am sure one would be able to write a book about it.

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2006, 03:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.