PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy textures

TheAtheist
10-03-2006, 10:25 AM
How do I make a texture concentric across an entire editable poly? at the moment my textures affect individual polygons (see attached image) and it looks wierd!!

Would it work better if i worked with editable meshes instead of polys?

Thanks

orbisvicis
10-03-2006, 04:25 PM
If it affects each individual face, then you've set the material as face-map

But in your case, a uvw map is probably the solution. Set it to box or some such and change the tiling

Hope this helps

TheAtheist
10-03-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm not really sure how to use UVW mapping, but thanks for the help.

danimh8er
10-10-2006, 02:41 AM
So I believe you might want to use the map scaler. It's real simple. Select the object you want to map go to modifiers find the map scaler click on it then scale at will. hint, hint, if you ever hear about something that you want to learn or figure out go to help>user reference then search by name. It'll tell you everthing you want to know about that tool. If you ever have any other qestions let me know.

TheAtheist
10-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Cheers I'll give that a go next.

UVW map works well though now that i've figured out what it is!!

Does the map scaler help with adjusting the direction of textures? For example I have a brushed steel texture and I want the line effect to go from top to bottom on all sides. At the moment it goes vertically on 2 sides and horizontally on the other 2. I have used a UVW map but this didn't help much.

danimh8er
10-10-2006, 09:28 PM
It sounds as though when you created your object you extruded edges or something at a local axis blah, blah, blah anyway. If you want to fix this you can always try mapping the side that the uvw is going vertically first, by going into poly mode and just selecting the two polygons that have the map going vertically. tile fit and form the way you like then, right click on the uvw map in the stack go copy, select the other two polygons and right click for the drop down again to paste. Then all you have to do is tell it which axis its going x,y, or z. Hope I didn't confuse you too much.

To answer your other question about the map scaler all it does is tile the texture planer all over your object then you can scale it to get more or less tiles.

TheAtheist
10-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Thanks for all your help, i didn't realise you could actually assign different shaders to individual polys without detaching them first. That has helped a lot.

I know this is off the thread topic but I am in real need of speeding up a mental ray render of a room. Are there any simple things i can do to make it render more quickly without losing too much quality? I am using a Sun and an MR Omni (set to 'diffuse only' within the room) and Final gather to light the scene. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks again

danimh8er
10-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Well, I typically use vray more often than mental ray. But when dealing with photons samples and maps the best thing to do is to render out lighting tests at low sample rates just to see how the light works then bump everything back up for your final gather. If you had this question about vray I could totally help you but heres a link for a good tutorial on mental ray.

http://www.evermotion.org/tutorials/rendering/max_rendering_mr/

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2006, 07:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.