PDA

View Full Version : HP not recalling Sony battery parts

RobertoOrtiz
10-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Quote:
"Hewlett-Packard is making a high-stakes bet that it won't get burned by a bad battery.
Dell, Apple, Lenovo, Toshiba and Fujitsu are recalling 7.7 million laptop batteries made by Sony. The batteries can, in rare instances, overheat and catch fire.

HP uses Sony battery parts, too, but it is not recalling them. The company believes it is safe because it reviewed and rejected Sony battery parts for nearly a year before buying any, spokesman Mike Hockey says.

Although HP can't say for sure, since it doesn't have all the information from Sony, it believes the problematic batteries were among those that did not meet its quality standards, Hockey says. About 1 million to 2 million HP laptops currently have the Sony battery parts. No overheating problems have been reported, he says.

But HP may just be "playing the odds and waiting it out," says tech analyst Richard Shim at researcher IDC.
"

>>LINK<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20061002/tc_usatoday/hpnotrecallingsonybatteryparts;_ylt=Ak26Ujqpm7_K2Ia9xQ7ReVms0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg)

-R

rasamaya
10-03-2006, 05:42 AM
Monkey men!
My HP is smokin hot, I do things to make sure it doesnt catch fire!
Its a good habit to take your battery out if your not using it.
I have 2 more years of warranty... lets see what happens.

Lorecanth
10-03-2006, 09:32 AM
reminds me of a certain scene in fight club

"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

one airplane and HP as a company dies...too bad about the 300 souls on the plane.

RuinedMessiah
10-03-2006, 05:32 PM
But what about the snakes?

CGTalk Moderation
10-03-2006, 05:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.