PDA

View Full Version : Importing outlines

TheAtheist
10-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Hi all

I need to import a logo into 3ds max 8. It is basically just text but I don't have the font I just have it as illustrator outlines.

Is it possible to import this into Max in order to extrude the logo? I have tried exporting it from illustrator as .dwg and .dxf and this hasn't worked, is there something else i can try? Or is it simply a case of me having to draw over it using splines and extrude from there?

Thanks in advance

scrimski
10-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Use the Illustrator file format, save it as Illustrator version 8 if I remember right and just import it in 3dsMax.

TheAtheist
10-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks, that worked a treat.

saeid3d
10-02-2006, 11:42 PM
hi
my name is saeid
i from is iran
3/5 years is do to 3dsmax
tanks

rybeck
11-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Use the Illustrator file format, save it as Illustrator version 8 if I remember right and just import it in 3dsMax.

First of all, I use Maya most of time, and Max is pretty new to me...
I was following the steps above, but it didn't work out. I was trying to create 3d logo by using this importing technique... The error message I got was...

"Line in file exceeds 255 chracters"

so I hit the 'ok,' and there is 2nd message poped up...

"improper file format"

FYI, the ai file contains a star shape linework. That should be throw out any doubt over complexity of the file, I beleive.

Any clue on this?

SnipeyX
11-13-2006, 10:55 PM
just be sure you are saving to an old file format, usually I wind up using one of the really old ones, like 3 or 4, and while I don't do this extensively, I have never noticed any missing or incorrect information that I needed after importing the old format into max. Outside of that, not sure what else you could do, care to share the file for testing?

rybeck
11-14-2006, 07:12 AM
SnipeyX,

Saving ai file as older version compatible format did fix the problem.
I have two different versions of Illustrators (CS on desktop, and ver. 10 on laptop), and had no idea how to save ai as older one in CS. (Indeed I am still clueless about this.. and can you answer me how to do it in CS, if you have access to it?) So I resaved the file with version 10, from which I found saving option, and then took quick experiment with all available options from version 3 to 10.. From 3 to 8 works, but saved as 9 and 10 caused same error I got from earlier incident. Glad to know this little trick...

Thanks a bunch!

SnipeyX
11-14-2006, 02:14 PM
I've only got CS2, so I'm not sure what you'd have to do. Check in the export dialog maybe?

TheAtheist
11-14-2006, 02:18 PM
SnipeyX,

Saving ai file as older version compatible format did fix the problem.
I have two different versions of Illustrators (CS on desktop, and ver. 10 on laptop), and had no idea how to save ai as older one in CS. (Indeed I am still clueless about this.. and can you answer me how to do it in CS, if you have access to it?) So I resaved the file with version 10, from which I found saving option, and then took quick experiment with all available options from version 3 to 10.. From 3 to 8 works, but saved as 9 and 10 caused same error I got from earlier incident. Glad to know this little trick...

Thanks a bunch!

There should be a drop down menu at the top of the save dialog box. It should default to the version you are using (in ur case CS) but you should be able to choose from most of the previous versions.

rybeck
11-14-2006, 04:32 PM
SnipeyX,

I've used "Save" command, not "Export" command until I read your comment about "Export." Once I click "Export" command, it opens the dialogue box that has option for saving as previous version compatible format. Thanks again...

TheAtheist,

Thanks for your comment... I found "Export" does solve the "mysterious mission," finally...
(The attached pictures show two dialogue boxes from "Save" and "Export" in my CS version... In earlier version (version 10), I used to find the list of compatiblity option for previous version from "Save", not from "Export.")

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/930/savingoptionqb6.th.jpg (http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=savingoptionqb6.jpg)
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8315/exportoptionzl6.th.jpg (http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=exportoptionzl6.jpg)

Did similar test I did last night... Export (I use CS version...) as version 3, 8, or Japanese 3 did work, but not 9 and 10, if you've ever curious about this, lol...
It's been awhile to use Illustrator, and I got read up some manual seriously, lol...

Rybeck

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2006, 04:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.