PDA

View Full Version : 'Open Season' Bags $23M, Tops US Box Office

RobertoOrtiz
10-02-2006, 02:11 AM
Quote:
"A cartoon bear and deer talked their way to the top of the box office as Martin Lawrence (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&cf=gen&id=1800018735) and Ashton Kutcher (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&cf=gen&id=1800354733)'s animated comedy "Open Season (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1800258346)" debuted with $23 million. Kutcher also finished in second place with Disney's "The Guardian (http://search.movies.yahoo.com/search/movies/title?p=%22The%20Guardian%22&string=%22The%20Guardian%22&search=title)" in which he co-stars with Kevin Costner (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&cf=gen&id=1800017042) as Coast Guard rescue swimmers. The action drama opened with $17.7 million, according to studio estimates Sunday. "

>>LINK<< (http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20061001/115973184000.html)

-R

MrPositive
10-02-2006, 06:02 AM
People keep complaining about the overabundance of cartoony styled 3D movie releases, but they keep selling lot hot cakes. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing but until they stop putting butts in the seats they will continue to get made.

jeremybirn
10-02-2006, 06:18 AM
Congratulations to everyone involved. I'll have to see that one myself.

It's funny how much the market has changed compared to 2004 or 2005. At this exact time of year, Shark Tale had a $47m opening weekend, but by 2006 standards, a $23m opening weekend is quite good.

-jeremy

Digiegg
10-02-2006, 06:52 AM
I gotta get my ticket for this movie. I love the things I saw from the trailer!
Way to go SONY!

Whelkn
10-02-2006, 08:01 AM
I went to see the guardian--awesome flick by the way---you should see it------------

dmaas
10-02-2006, 09:54 AM
I am way out here in Taipei, Taiwan and there is a huge marketing blitz going on for Open Season. Ads on the subway, all over the cinema areas, etc. Lots of $$$ being thrown around :)

alexichabane
10-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Open season has the same plot as most of the CG movies that have come out over the past few years, where a group of wacky animals go on some kind of journey. However, this movie has a great visual style and fantastic character designs. The look reminds me of brother bear, but the wilderness in open season is even more stylized and cartoony. This movie feels like a 2d movie made in 3d, which is nice to see.

RuinedMessiah
10-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Congratulations to everyone involved. I'll have to see that one myself.

It's funny how much the market has changed compared to 2004 or 2005. At this exact time of year, Shark Tale had a $47m opening weekend, but by 2006 standards, a $23m opening weekend is quite good.

-jeremy

You know, I love hearing this. Open Season had practically no hype behind it (at least I saw very little), voice actors nobody could give a damn about anymore (seriousy, the only celebrity lower than Ashton Kutcher at this point is Martin Lawrence), and practically little marketing hype compared to Sharks Tale which features huge names, bigger ad budgets, and even constantly running specials on HBO and Cinemax.

This isn't a sign of the market dying because, each year, we see another record breaker.

RobertoOrtiz
10-02-2006, 04:09 PM
....You know, I love hearing this. Open Season had practically no hype behind it (at least I saw very little), voice actors nobody could give a damn about anymore (seriousy, the only celebrity lower than Ashton Kutcher at this point is Martin Lawrence), .

You know what the weird thing was...
and I cannot believe I am going to say this, but Ashton Kutcher was very funny in the flick.

-R

BRUTICUS
10-02-2006, 04:20 PM
im surprised this is the first time i've seen a trailer for this (watching it on their website). I've seen a lot of posters in subways etc.. but somehow I haven't seen it before any movies or on TV.
I like the look and it seems quite entertaining from the trailer..

NanoGator
10-02-2006, 04:45 PM
I saw it in 3D at the IMAX theater. That was pretty darned cool. They did a nice job on the stereo aspect of it.

RuinedMessiah
10-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Hmmm, I may have to see it then. Ashton Kutcher, I can tolerate, but don't seek. Martin Lawrence, however, he just strikes me as annoying most of the time. Ironically enough, I hate Chris Rock but enjoy Chris Tucker... damn I'm weird.

MarkusM
10-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Congratulations to everyone at SPA and Imageworks. I can't wait to see this one. I am going to the IMAX one for sure!!

I was impressed by some of the choices made when I saw the SIGGRAPH presentation. I can't wait to see how that held up for the duration of the movie. So far I've heard good things about the movie.

Markus

danimat0r
10-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Not bad.

It's visually lovely, has some fantastic gags, solid voice work by Lawrence and Kutcher (two actors I otherwise find totally unwatchable) and the outdoorsy, 'pacific northwest' locale is beautifully realized. But 'from the writer of Chicken Little' is a sure sign to be wary. It's not a bad flick, but the pacing is often painfully erratic; sprinting into set pieces one moment and meandering the next. The big finale is fatally undermotivated and unexciting, and the bad guy's personality jumps around like a superball. Is he just a slightly eccentric hunter, or is he flat-out tinfoil-hat aliens-in-my-pants crazy? It plays him both ways to a very confusing and unfocused effect, and has you longing for more of his brilliantly crazy visions and conspiracies, and less of his by the numbers sadistic-hunter schtick.

I had an above-average time with it; it's just unfortunate the story ended up cutting so many corners. It'll do decent, but it's not good enough to bring in the repeat business required to make it a smash.

It goes without saying however, everyone on the visual end was in top form. ;) It's gorgeous, the designs are fresh, and the change of scenery into something bright and woodsy was great.

Cronholio
10-02-2006, 09:06 PM
This isn't a sign of the market dying because, each year, we see another record breaker.

No records have been broken this year for animated features unless you want to count all-time low opening weekends for widely released animated features, and all-time low total grosses for widely released animated features. It looks like computer animation peaked in 2004. By the end of this year we will have had 3 times as many computer animated films released as there were in 2004. Right now the total box office take for computer animated features this year is more than 200 million dollars less than it was in 2004, and I'm not so sure Open Season, Flushed Away and Happy Feet are going to close that gap.

This opening is pretty mediocre. Sony will make money once the DVD is released, but you know they were hoping to do better at the box office when they spent 85 million on creating the film. They will be lucky to pull 75 million gross at the box office with this opening.

yeoj
10-03-2006, 06:53 AM
i can't wait to see this! :bounce:

Misery
10-05-2006, 01:24 AM
No records have been broken this year for animated features unless you want to count all-time low opening weekends for widely released animated features, and all-time low total grosses for widely released animated features. It looks like computer animation peaked in 2004. By the end of this year we will have had 3 times as many computer animated films released as there were in 2004. Right now the total box office take for computer animated features this year is more than 200 million dollars less than it was in 2004, and I'm not so sure Open Season, Flushed Away and Happy Feet are going to close that gap.

This opening is pretty mediocre. Sony will make money once the DVD is released, but you know they were hoping to do better at the box office when they spent 85 million on creating the film. They will be lucky to pull 75 million gross at the box office with this opening.

Ahh, the grim reality of profit performance in todays global markets. Even thoguh Sony should come out on top and the movie IS awesome, I'm sure they wanted more money. I think we'll see a trend toward fewer CG films actually making it to the theatres and also higher quality will be a must. Way to many low budget garbage hit the big screen this year and it's reflected in the numbers a great movie like Open Season made.

syzygy
10-05-2006, 06:31 AM
, . I think we'll see a trend toward fewer CG films actually making it to the theatres and also higher quality will be a must. Way to many low budget garbage hit the big screen this year and it's reflected in the numbers a great movie like Open Season made.

how do you figure that? many of the low budget films made a heap of cash while the bigger&better productions have been scraping a profit. (though I do agree the reason for the struggle has been the lower budget films)

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2006, 06:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.