PDA

View Full Version : Pet Portrait (2 Dogs + Rat), Socar Myles (2D)

Socar MYLES
02-01-2003, 06:01 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/24949/Socar_pet_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/24949/Socar_pet.jpg)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/24949/Socar_pet.jpg

"Royal Chihuahua, Boisterous Poodle, and Wise-Guy Rat under the Gnarled Dwarf-Oak"

Someone told me the little rat guy on the tree looked like a gangster type--hence the "wise-guy rat" bit in the title!

I do quite a lot of pet portrait commissions, and this is one of those. Critiques are welcome, but since I did this to the client's specifications, and revised it until he was satisfied, there obviously won't be any changes made at this point. However, any good advice posted will definitely be kept in mind for future projects!

Man
02-01-2003, 06:10 PM
nice job man...i like your style!i specially like the clouds

eli-XSI-ir
02-01-2003, 10:01 PM
yeeeey :) so pretty :)

Socar MYLES
02-02-2003, 10:45 AM
knoxville - Thanks...I like painting clouds...they're fun! :)

eli-XSI-ir - Thank you very much!

McSpirit
02-02-2003, 11:10 AM
good stile :arteest:

dark_lotus
02-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Just beautiful, it has that real classic 18th century painting feel to it.

I have a huge problem painting clouds, and they are my favorite natural phenominon.

Perhaps a quick demonstration of how you went about painting clouds.

Its really is quite breathtaking!!!

GREAT JOB!!

blindleader
02-02-2003, 12:26 PM
cool, very cool. :drool:

I get this mental picture of that branch reaching out to strangle the poodle to death, but that's only because I don't like poodles :D

CGmonkey
02-02-2003, 12:43 PM
Cute puppies! :love:

Savage_Henry
02-02-2003, 01:00 PM
Wow....:eek:
fantastic work. I'm envious....
Seriously great painting!!

Corn Dog
02-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Is this for the Middle earth compitition :)

Lukashi
02-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Aww that is way too cute :) good job

soulage
02-02-2003, 02:38 PM
:applause: :thumbsup:

HoodZ
02-02-2003, 02:59 PM
lookin good :beer:

:airguitar :love: <---bahaha i just love these :applause:

jrr
02-02-2003, 04:38 PM
dignity? why, this is worthy of websters!

:wip: :D

Netweeny
02-02-2003, 04:41 PM
Very Nice! It's nice to see the great Socar Myles in the forum! I've seen a few of your works on other sites and have been really impressed with all of them.

I do have one question for you though. You seem to always have a rat in your paintings. Any particular reason, or do you just like rats? :)

lildragon
02-02-2003, 10:22 PM
The amazing Socar Myles does it again. You have one of the most impressive and memorable illustrative talents I've see to date. This is a solid picture and shear beauty. Nothing to crit.

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Incredible work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_feb03_2.jpg

P.S. if you need a different background, please send me a PM with the RGB values.

Alien Citizen
02-03-2003, 05:29 AM
Can I buy a print of this?
Or at least get a decent coloured photocopy?

I love this.

How big is it? What do you charge your clients?

Socar MYLES
02-03-2003, 05:48 AM
McSpirit - Thanks very much! Glad you like it.

dark_lotus - Thank you! About the clouds, the trick is not to make it harder for yourself than it needs to be. The big mistake a lot of people make is trying to get clouds to look absolutely smooth and fluffy, when, in fact, as long as you get the right values in the right places, the viewer's eye will do all the blending for you. But here's a couple of quick tips for cloud painting:

1. Clouds have mass and "weight" like other objects, and you represent this visually through value. When you paint clouds, you should look at a real one (or at least a photograph), and see how the shadows are falling. By putting the highlights and shadows in the right place, you get a convincing sense of volume, which is what gives clouds the fluffy appearance they have.

2. You can use a large paintbrush (I use about 60 pixels, hard round), and make small, overlapping strokes of low transparency to get the wispy, layered effect on the cloud edges.

3. If you want the effect that I have, after you figure out how to draw clouds realistically, play with where you put the shadows until you get the depth (or lack thereof) you want. The clouds I put in this picture have very little depth, and function more as a backdrop than as a realistic representation of clouds. I have some other pictures on my website which represent clouds with more naturalistic depth...you can just alter the effect depending on what you're going for.

blindleader - Hahaha...reminds me of some book I once read with living (and carnivorous) trees--can't remember what book it was, though!

CgMonkey - Thank you! There were really cute ref photos too...made me kind of want to get a dog.

SavageHenry - Thank you very much!

CornDog - The who, now?

Lukashi - Thank you! Hey, I'm a "Big Lebowski" fan too...The Dude rocks!

soulage - :buttrock:

HoodZ - Thank you!

jrr - Hey, are you suggesting my dawgs lack dignity, little man? ;)

Netweeny - The great Socar Myles? Hahaha...I'm flattered. :D I DO, in fact, like rats a lot...but in this case, the rat is there because I was paid to put it there. All three animals are the pets of the gentleman who commissioned the painting.

lildragon - Wow, thanks again! I'm very flattered...and honoured...and all that good stuff!

Alien Citizen - Thanks very much! Unfortunately, I do not generally sell prints of commissioned work, especially pet portraits, out of respect for my clients who may not want their dogs adorning random people's walls. :( Sorry about that! Anyway, the original image was 4000 X 2000 pixels at 300 dpi resolution, I think. As for what I charge...well, for pet portraits, not that much. I like doing 'em, so the cost is less than for regular illustrations. I won't quote exactly what the rate is on a public forum...some people get kind of touchy about other illustrators posting price-lists...but...hm, probably around the same price as a pair of expensive running shoes. Maybe a little more. Or a little less. Or...or...I have no idea what running shoes cost. Hahahaha.

Markuss
02-03-2003, 08:12 AM
Congratz on the award! ;o) I love the dramatic sky in your painting, and the gnarly tree looks great! You have a very classic style. Very nice!

:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.