PDA

View Full Version : Maya 8 review

PaulHellard
10-02-2006, 12:36 AM
Hey all,

CG animator 'gun-for-hire' Sean Wagstaff gives his summation of the Autodesk Maya 8 release. While there aren't too many shining new features, the Maya 8 has been re-built to run natively in 64-bit operating systems. Check out his review.
Click the image.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/maya_feature_plug.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3768)

Raines
10-02-2006, 04:09 AM
yes it seems Maya 8 is a rushed release to support 64bit processors...altho its very nice to have 64bit support..

But still to change the version number from 7 to 8 you better bring some cool new features..
uhh like something like POLYBOOST for maya or smth :D
modeling is maya is slow (well for me)
i normally yust model in max then export to maya and continue further :P
i would die for polyboost for maya

Ramteen
10-02-2006, 06:31 AM
yes it seems Maya 8 is a rushed release to support 64bit processors...altho its very nice to have 64bit support..

But still to change the version number from 7 to 8 you better bring some cool new features..

yes . you`re right . and also I coud`nt see any shiny new feature inside of mya 8 . but as I use 64 bit in our studio , it`s nice . it`s almost wonderful . I could use more than 60 animated texture and see them as realtime which is cool to someone who is looking for speed :D .

but I steel guess that improving of Maya version "7" has been the best . many great features .

pearson
10-02-2006, 06:54 AM
I am chomping at the bit to get that viewport override. The pain of having to export, compile, and fire up the engine just to see minor changes is about to dissapear!
:bounce:

LucentDreams
10-02-2006, 07:14 AM
as an educator one thign I've noticed in both the new max and new maya isa focus on features to help new users pickthings up quicker, the tool descriptions and ineditor instructiosn for example in maya, the newly improved bubble help in max for another as well as the startup intro movies for max that maya has had for a while now. Definitely neither app had a mind blowing new full version number release, both seem like point upgrades really, but I think we are seeing a lot of focus on makign thew two apps a little more consistent and lowering their learning curve a little which I thinks a nice focus (though really worries me still as to what they plan to end up doign with two separate apps)

Do wish that it had been treated more as a maya 7.5 since its main features are few and far between, mostly enhancements to the core not even actually improving most tools, but simply optimizing, multithreadings, and making 64 bit.

The support for third party editor renders is a bit of a cop out too, instead of tkaing the time to support thirdparty and develop a nice one themselves, they just offer to basic ones as starters for developers. from what I"ve seen so far, harldy appealing to anyone not about to create/integrate their own.

pingshui
10-02-2006, 08:37 AM
i want to have a try

vitalmaya
10-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Not a very exciting release, but there's one feature that I'm TOTALLY sold on. The ability to plug-in your own engine by overriding a viewport! Woohoo! :bounce:

SunDog101
10-02-2006, 04:35 PM
I think Maya 64 bit SHOULD have been FREE for Maya users considering Newteks Lightwave 64- bit version was a FREE download for all current Lightwave users and Newtek did not try to milk money out of its customers like Autodesk is doing. It would be different if Autodesk actaully had a list of 30 or so new features they added on top of it being 64-bit. I'm sure Autodesk isnt worried as much as a company like Newtek is about losing users but still I think it's a slap in the face for Maya users. Just No respect. The way I understand it a 64-bit version is just recompiled 32 bit code with a few fixes and tweaks. I'm sure many other companies are giving 64-bit versions to customers for free and not using 64-bit as an excuse to make users pay thier yearly dues. I do however have one positive thing to say about Maya 8, I like the new Maya logo!

pixelmonk
10-02-2006, 05:10 PM
I think Maya 64 bit SHOULD have been FREE for Maya users considering Newteks Lightwave 64- bit version was a FREE download for all current Lightwave users and Newtek did not try to milk money out of its customers like Autodesk is doing. It would be different if Autodesk actaully had a list of 30 or so new features they added on top of it being 64-bit. I'm sure Autodesk isnt worried as much as a company like Newtek is about losing users but still I think it's a slap in the face for Maya users. Just No respect. The way I understand it a 64-bit version is just recompiled 32 bit code with a few fixes and tweaks. I'm sure many other companies are giving 64-bit versions to customers for free and not using 64-bit as an excuse to make users pay thier yearly dues. I do however have one positive thing to say about Maya 8, I like the new Maya logo!

errr.. I can tell you aren't a maya user. Maya 8 is an upgrade, a paid upgrade, just like Lightwave 8 or Lightwave 9 was. When you buy the upgrade, you are given all the discs for all the OS' (Linux, XP, OSX, etc), or you download it directly from AD. So you aren't forced to pay for a 64 bit version. Being a LW user, you probably don't understand the depth of the new features so they won't pertain to you. The same goes for others who do use Maya but probably won't use some of the new features. I know I could care less about the viewport-engine thing as I don't develop for games. The Maya 8 upgrade was coming out regardless if a 64 bit version was or wasn't going to be released. It is however a good thing they did come out with one, finally.

jewalker
10-02-2006, 06:52 PM
The way I understand it a 64-bit version is just recompiled 32 bit code with a few fixes and tweaks.

Sometimes it's that easy, but many times it's not. Porting a large, sophisticated program like Maya can have a lot of 'gotchas' that take a long time to find. Many times these errors can propogate a long way until they manifest themselves, making it very difficult to catch. For instance let's say you use to create a 32 bit integer and set the value to 0. Now you want to port it to 64 bits and you create a 64 bit integer. But the method you used to set the value to 0 only sets the first 32 bits (this is actually very easy and common). Everything is fine as long as you only use the first 32 bits. Maybe it doesn't even show up in any of your test cases becasue they weren't big enough, or didn't call the right series of commands. Eventually this mistake will get hit, the program will crash, and it is very, very difficult to backtrace to where the problem originally shows up.

RuinedMessiah
10-02-2006, 07:11 PM
As someone who has done freelance models and used third party viewers and compilers to go and check changes, I can already tell I'm going to love Maya 8. Especially considering a group of friends and I are developing an RPG and it would be ever so nice to test our realtime shaders and renders of the objects without having to constantly export. So while many may consider this a mere small step, I can already look forward to saving many, many hours with this feature and yes, I do consider this a dramatic add-on.

P_T
10-02-2006, 07:31 PM
As someone who has done freelance models and used third party viewers and compilers to go and check changes, I can already tell I'm going to love Maya 8. Especially considering a group of friends and I are developing an RPG and it would be ever so nice to test our realtime shaders and renders of the objects without having to constantly export. So while many may consider this a mere small step, I can already look forward to saving many, many hours with this feature and yes, I do consider this a dramatic add-on.You pretty much said the same thing as 3DWorld magazine review. It said that unless you work in games, you might feel underwhelmed with this upgrade and can't help thinking that maybe this should've been a .5 update.

Jhonus
10-02-2006, 09:03 PM
I heard maya 8 had introduced per vertex alpha sorting? Pretty essential for game artists (and probably should have been in there since maya 5)

kmest
10-02-2006, 11:08 PM
totaly agreed...MAYA 8 has some cool new features but honestly,i dont think adding new tools to modeling section can be a good act..i never had any probelm with anything to model since maya 5 so i think instead of adding new features to modeling part,they could concentrate on other parts...like many bugs it has in animation section....just IMO...but i think the what they did with geometry cache was realy great....

is it only me that sences some changes in workflow???(nothing special yet but i can see the dark side rising slowly........)

playmesumch00ns
10-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Dont they traditionally do big features in .5 releases and stability upgrades for .0 releases? I'm guessing maya 8.5 will have something pretty major.

nemirc
10-03-2006, 05:18 AM
I am happy with Maya 8 so far... save for the fact that the .OBJ export doesn't seem to like me :p
One of the things I liked about this version was the geometry cache thing. However, that's just me.

EDIT: btw I can't open the damn link...

snwbrdn7
10-03-2006, 06:20 AM
Thanks for posting this review! I just bought and built a Core 2 Duo setup and have been debating the XP Pro vs. the Vista OS and what the performance would look like when rendering heavy scenes. It sound like things things will be pretty much the same since I'm not creating overly heavy scenes.:)

Although I do really like the idea of expanding my extended memory past 4GB, but who has that much RAM just laying around. I have 4 bays and I would have to replace some 1GB sticks and place in 2,3, or 4 GB sticks per slot to get that higher performance.

Thanks,

avinashlobo
10-03-2006, 06:57 AM
totaly agreed...MAYA 8 has some cool new features but honestly,i dont think adding new tools to modeling section can be a good act..i never had any probelm with anything to model since maya 5 so i think instead of adding new features to modeling part,they could concentrate on other parts...like many bugs it has in animation section....just IMO...but i think the what they did with geometry cache was realy great....

is it only me that sences some changes in workflow???(nothing special yet but i can see the dark side rising slowly........)I see it completely differently. Maya has notoriously lacked in efficient poly-modeling tools and in fact still has a long way to go to become a streamlined, fast, intuitive modeler that can be said of a whole bunch of other apps. Ever since I tried modo, I dread having to use Maya to model anything.

Regardless of the 64 bit port, which was no doubt a huge task, this really should have been 7.5. However, I don't see it as a useless update either, as many people seem to do - it has cleaned up and sorted out a large number of little issues that make it a lot more pleasurable to use overall. Definitely a useful upgrade.

For e.g. I think one of the most underrated feature updates is making Duplicate a non-configurable command. I finally never have to check or reset my Duplicate Options before executing the command.

vintagetone
10-03-2006, 01:51 PM
The ability to use 8 gigs of ram, faster mental ray, and a little bit saner arraingment of the tools was a big help. don't know if it was worth the money, but the work has to get done...

nemirc
10-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Hey, I finally could read the review but I have a question... It says 64bits is only available on linux and windows. Does that mean that the mac versionruns at 32bits?

Srek
10-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Hey, I finally could read the review but I have a question... It says 64bits is only available on linux and windows. Does that mean that the mac versionruns at 32bits?
Yes. Currently OS X only offer rudimentary 64 bit functionality that is not suited for the use with applications that need a user interface (command line only is possible).
With the coming 10.5 (Leopard) Apple is going to change that and i think that after the development tools for that are ready we will see many apps on the mac also support 64 bit.
Cheers
Björn

nemirc
10-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Yes. Currently OS X only offer rudimentary 64 bit functionality that is not suited for the use with applications that need a user interface (command line only is possible).
With the coming 10.5 (Leopard) Apple is going to change that and i think that after the development tools for that are ready we will see many apps on the mac also support 64 bit.
Cheers
Björn

heh, funny, considering that some mac users that I've known say that MACs are far superior than PCs because they've supported 64bits applications (speaking of computer graphics applications, obviously) for a very long time, incontrast to PCs :D

shahabp
10-03-2006, 08:42 PM
I like the new modeling tools.

Srek
10-03-2006, 09:11 PM
heh, funny, considering that some mac users that I've known say that MACs are far superior than PCs because they've supported 64bits applications (speaking of computer graphics applications, obviously) for a very long time, incontrast to PCs :D
Well, you can't fault Apple for having a nearly perfect marketing machine ;)

Cheers
Björn

agreenster
10-03-2006, 10:03 PM
So, do you think we'll see UBs for maya after leopard comes out?

mech7
10-03-2006, 10:21 PM
I had really wish they had put selection highlighting and tweaking in this release but perhaps in maya 9 :(

DustinBrown
10-04-2006, 12:17 AM
Personally I'm glad they spent the time to work on performance improvements. I'll take that over the next shiney new feature any day.

- Dustin

kabojnk
10-04-2006, 05:30 AM
Not worth it for the upgrade for me. Try a little bit harder.

I'll wait until others test the waters. Good review regardless though--just call me paranoid of Autodesk and their liberal use of the word "improvements."

However, this DID catch my eye:

A huge improvement for game developers is the capability to override a standard Maya viewport with a plug-in display engine. Autodesk provides OpenGL and Direct X versions, but game developers can easily build their own view ports that could run using an Xbox or PlayStation display driver, for example. This allows artists to see exactly how a model will look in a game engine as is is being built or manipulated. After years of running complicated, time-consuming scripts to export and import models and visual effects into game boxes just to get a look at how they’ll appear in game, I can vouch that this feature alone will save many small game studios countless wasted hours.

nemirc
10-04-2006, 06:03 AM
Well, you can't fault Apple for having a nearly perfect marketing machine ;)

Cheers
Björn

HAHA! good point

cpan
10-04-2006, 01:58 PM
what i like the most:
GATOR like poly transfer tool (UVs, vertex pos/color on meshes with different topology)

Turtle like map generation tools (2 click normal maps, displacement maps, ambient occ, and a lot more)

Poly toolset reorganising, enhancements and new tools... most of the poly tools use faster algorithms, have new options (some examples: you can now skip edges and the split poly tool does the spliting for you, no more duplicate tools, multi loop split tool etc) and there are also new tools (ex: organic bridge, select shortest path tool, topology based soft mod etc)

UV unwraping toolset enhancements and new tools (move shell tool, UV facing color hiliting, unfold enhancements etc)

the custom viewport engine (you can integrate your own game engine renderer into the maya viewport!)

too many changes, workflow ehancements to list them all actually :)

SunDog101
10-04-2006, 03:40 PM
I see it completely differently. Maya has notoriously lacked in efficient poly-modeling tools and in fact still has a long way to go to become a streamlined, fast, intuitive modeler that can be said of a whole bunch of other apps. Ever since I tried modo, I dread having to use Maya to model anything.

I agree, Maya has a lack good poly modeling tools compared to some other apps. I used Maya extensively for a 1 1/2 years because thats what was being taught at a school I attended and I have always wondered why Maya couldn't have a wider variety of modeling tools. In the review they mention the Bridge Tool. The Bridge Tool has been around now for over 2 years in apps like Lightwave and Modo. I would have a expected a cutting edge app like Maya to have gotten it a while back. On the up side now that Maya has the Bridge Tool it works with history unlike Lightwave or Modo. I still feel Maya modeling tools need to be more interactive though. I am thinking about owning a second major 3D app besides Lightwave and so far I have only been flirting with XSI and Maya. Wich one will it be? :)

chickensandbeandip
10-04-2006, 07:24 PM
I am relatively new to maya, so i can't offer a huge wish list, but two features i wished they put in are layer blending like motion builder and then better layers. kinda like photoshop folders. So you can have a character folder with all of his layers inside, an object folder with the layers etc etc. I would die to have the folders.

late.
:cool:

Buexe
10-10-2006, 09:21 AM
I am relatively new to maya, so i can't offer a huge wish list, but two features i wished they put in are layer blending like motion builder and then better layers. kinda like photoshop folders. So you can have a character folder with all of his layers inside, an object folder with the layers etc etc. I would die to have the folders.

late.
:cool:

That is so very true...
Many things in Maya are layed out as if you will only have like a dozen or so items of a certain kind ( like display layers ). But when you have a little bit more complex scenes. There are little or no ways to arrange it more clearly. I would also like to be able to structure sets and other DG nodes in a hierarchical manner. Sort of like you sort DAG nodes but without being able to transform them of course.
cheers
buexe

benclark
10-10-2006, 09:38 AM
The viewport override and the ability to render Normal Maps in MentalRay and the vast imporvements to the UV exture editor make it a good update for me

Although nearly all the buttons on my poly modeling shelf are useless now, but I suppose its just a case of getting used to the new names

The changes to the modeling menus seem to make sense to me too. The modeling feels a lot more technical now which I like a lot

Does anyone have any information on the viewport override for previewing models in an engine?
I had a quick look in the help files last night but didnt find anything

Buexe
10-10-2006, 09:40 AM
OH, and concerning modelling tools: I will probably never understand (though I really try) why people are complaining that much about the Maya Modelling tools. Probably because I model mainly characters, but I pretty much only use the Poly Split Tool and the Append to Polygon Tool. And I don`t know what I couldn`t model with them. The only thing I understood what peeps were complaining about, was the Bevel tool. That was really horrible. But I really model a lot and I have tried other apps like modo, but there was nothing that thrilled me that much to switch my modelling package. Now in Maya 8 they have really made progress in the Modelling area (though I could live without it) and if now peeps are still complaining that something is not "intuitive" (Modo wasn`t intuitive to me neither) or that they are behind some other cool app. In my experience when I had discussions like that with co-workers they were usually newbies who wanted to show some sort of expertise. I don`t want to imply this attitude to any member in this forum, I`m just summoning up dozens of (mostly useless) discussions with co-workers I have worked with.
But everybody shall do it his/her favourite way, I just pray they never throw out the poly split tool ; )
peace
buexe

PS: I really liked the 3D Painting in Modo, but it still didn`t make me want to paint textures completely on the 3d Model (neither did that Bodypaint). I prefer to "mark" certain things and then paint the texture in Photoshop. I always wondered what texture artists (I wouldn`t call that myself) prefer.

Atwooki
10-10-2006, 10:26 AM
chickensandbeandip

Try this script - ds_layerStack - for folders within layers (works in M7)

Chris

avinashlobo
10-10-2006, 01:48 PM
OH, and concerning modelling tools: I will probably never understand (though I really try) why people are complaining that much about the Maya Modelling tools. Probably because I model mainly characters, but I pretty much only use the Poly Split Tool and the Append to Polygon Tool. And I don`t know what I couldn`t model with them. The only thing I understood what peeps were complaining about, was the Bevel tool. That was really horrible. But I really model a lot and I have tried other apps like modo, but there was nothing that thrilled me that much to switch my modelling package. Now in Maya 8 they have really made progress in the Modelling area (though I could live without it) and if now peeps are still complaining that something is not "intuitive" (Modo wasn`t intuitive to me neither) or that they are behind some other cool app. In my experience when I had discussions like that with co-workers they were usually newbies who wanted to show some sort of expertise. I don`t want to imply this attitude to any member in this forum, I`m just summoning up dozens of (mostly useless) discussions with co-workers I have worked with.
But everybody shall do it his/her favourite way, I just pray they never throw out the poly split tool ; )
peace
buexe
Good points. It's not about Maya's modeling tools being broken, however. It's just about how well the tools are executed. You're also probably right about the newbies thing, but I don't think that applies universally. I've been using Maya for modeling since v4.5 right up till 6.5 when I made the switch to modo.

Here's where I find Maya lacking in the modeling arena as compared to modo -

- Double-click to select edge loop.

- Face loop selection with single key press. Maya does not have face loop selection at all.

- Select next/previous loop with a single key.

- Face bridging that works on 2 selected faces - select the faces & click - Done. For a similar operation in Maya, you'll need to select the faces, delete the faces, run the Select Border Edge tool and then run the Bridge tool.

- Edge sliding! Takes a huge chunk out of having to tweak.

- Ultra-fast tweak tool (because you know you'll have to eventually...) Switch-between, select and move components with a single click! Set radial falloff with a single click! Combined with the work-plane it's an unbelievable treat to work with for organic modeling. This tool stands on its own as reason enough to switch if you find yourself spending hours tweaking your models in Maya, because the savings in terms of key-presses, clicks and of course time, are incredible!

- Intelligent incremental growing/shrinking of selections with single key press (Up/Down), that follows loops rather than all adjoining faces

- Select polygons based on number of sides. So if I want to target and work on all 5-sided poly's on my model, I can do that almost instantly. Maya can do this via the Selection Constraints dialog, but the process is rather more involved as compared to modo.

- Intelligent conversion between component selections that Maya finally understands, but hasn't implemented for efficiency (Select Contained Faces/Edges should've over-ridden the legacy coversion commands bound to Ctrl+F11 and Ctrl+F12)

- On-the-fly culling during marquee selections. Right click drag will activate Backface culling, Middle-click drag will select all faces. Smart.

- modo remembers your selections when you switch between components and recalls it when you switch back. Very useful at times.

- Single click symmetry modeling setup. Maya has this for the move tool (called Reflection). modo has it for all its tools and commands.

- A tool that will bring your object back to perfect symmetry in case a couple of vertices have gone astray.

- Cut/Copy/paste for objects and components.

- Extremely advanced selection falloff controls that Soft Selection can't even begin to match.

- The split poly tool in modo allows you to perform multiple independent splits in a single operation.

- Simple multi-axis scaling.

- Ability to move the tranform gizmo around on the fly.

- Ability to hide faces.

- Protractor tool for when you need those repeated, accurately placed segments.

As you can see, this list is stretching out rather long. There are probably more advantages to efficiency and workflow that I haven't cited here, so please don't consider this an exhaustive list. Also, if I'm in error regarding any of the points on this list, I apologize in advance and would appreciate it if anyone would correct me.

Where Maya scores (for me) -
- Construction history
- Easier multi-object management
- Superior snapping workflow
- Marking menus (modo has an implementation of MMs, but it's just nowhere as good)
- Partial loop selection (possible in modo, but requires an external script)

I absolutely love Maya, but when it comes to poly-modeling, I'd rather look the other way. Luxology's original slogan of "Model at the speed of thought" might be a touch of hyperbole, but only a touch...

Buexe
10-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Wow, sounds really good. I believe that some people can model faster with Modo. And some stuff sounds like it should be in the 1.0 release of any Modelling app. The only thing that I consider a serious advantage of Modo is the symmetry stuff, because Maya is not good at maintaining a model symmetric ( the other sound more like a thoughtful streamlined and comfortable access to stuff). I do that sort of stuff with scripts and plug-ins I wrote and that is the HUGE advantage for me in Maya. I know that is something that many people complain about: you need some programming skills to use this app to its fullest extend. And my reply is: Yes and it`s great anybody can learn it, go get them! :)
Anyway, thanks for the list I really appreciate it. It`s better to hear that sort of stuff from a user than from some marketing guy.
cheers!
buexe

PS: I talked to a guy last night who started as intern at a company I used to work. He was a XSI user from the heart and I had many many discussions with him and he really challenged any- and everything in Maya. I showed him a few tricks in MEL and I have not seen him for almost a year and now he tells me that he wrote a racing game in MEL and all these cool tools that streamline his animation worklflow!

cpan
10-10-2006, 02:28 PM
alto there are some tools nice to have in maya on your list some of them allready exist in maya 8 + bonusTools just that most of them are in the ctrl+rmb context sensitive marking menu or the shift+rmb one, and not bound to hotkeys by default.

- Double-click to select edge loop.

for this one use the true power of marking menus:
hold ctrl + fastly drag right down with the RMB pressed + release
or for edge rings ctrl + RMB drag left down + release
Note, you don't have to wait for the marking menu to appear, just sketch the directions to acces the commands ;)

- Face loop selection with single key press. Maya does not have face loop selection at all.
Nope, it has :)
select one edge and run ctrl+rmb and in that marking menu you have the select face path command... Tho it's in the bottom menus, so no fast acces without some scripting.

Oh, you can use this trick for fast acces too:
select the edge you want to draw the face loop
ctrl + drag far-left-down + release (aka select edge ring)
ctrl + drag far-down + release (aka convert to faces)
Works pretty nice and it takes under 0.5 secs to acces the 2 commands :)

- Select next/previous loop with a single key.
this one would be cool to see but till then you can use the arrow keys to move the selection (tho it works on verts only so you'll have to ctrl+drag left+release before)

- Face bridging that works on 2 selected faces - select the faces & click - Done. For a similar operation in Maya, you'll need to select the faces, delete the faces, run the Select Border Edge tool and then run the Bridge tool.

bonusTools for maya 8 does the dirty job for you, so you just have to select the two faces and run the command.

- Intelligent conversion between component selections that Maya finally understands, but hasn't implemented for efficiency (Select Contained Faces/Edges should've over-ridden the legacy coversion commands bound to Ctrl+F11 and Ctrl+F12)

use the ctrl+rmb marking menu again :)
it's ctrl + rmb drag up and drag down + release (it takes some time to get used to accessing secondary marking menus but when you do this you can sketch through them like through butter :D)

- The split poly tool in modo allows you to perform multiple independent splits in a single operation.
the split poly tool in maya 8 does smth similar too... tho it doesnt fallow edge rings (if there are) but instead it cuts directly.

- Simple multi-axis scaling.
ctrl+lmb drag, tho it would be nice to have multi axis handles like in max :)

- Ability to move the tranform gizmo around on the fly.
d+mmb drag+release or insert+mmb drag+insert :)

- Ability to hide faces.
bonus tools again hehe :)

starting with v7 and 8 maya got much better at modeling imo, mainly because of the context sensitive marking menus (ctrl+rmb for selection ops, shift+rmb for related commands and ctrl+shift+rmb for tool options), loop tools, bridge, better bevel etc :)

yet there's plenty of room to improve, especialy some of the tools you mentioned there smell nice :D

Buexe
10-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Wow, long posts here, before the feature debate continues just let me add one wish for Maya:
Faster Marking Menus! I really feel they slow me down. Now you have (almost) all these cool tools etc. but it takes sssooooooommmmmmeeeeeeeee time until you have navigated to them.

avinashlobo
10-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Hey, thanks for the great reply!

I deliberately avoided getting in to the murky area of installing extra scripts, because that changes the scenario completely. Even modo has a whole bunch of nifty scripts over at vertexmonkey.com that aren't in the main package that extend it even further, but I thought it more prudent to stick with an app comparison as they are out-of-the-box.

I love the ctrl+RMB & face path tips! Brought a smile to my face. Thanks a bunch!! I just love Maya's marking menu system. :thumbsup:

The split poly performs differently in Maya 8 than in modo. In Maya 8 you can now slice a single straight line through multiple edges. If I want to slice again, I'll have to run the tool again. What I meant by multiple independent splits was that I can run TWO (or more) split poly operations in one shot in modo without exiting and re-running the tool.

Yes, I'm aware of the Ctrl-clicking for multi-axis scaling in Maya, but most people I've come across aren't, which is why I mentioned simple - as in a visible handle or something. Heh - this was a bit nit-picky, I'll admit.

In fact, Maya is the only package I know of where you can translate, scale AND rotate your choice of axes simultaneously in a SINGLE operation. Very few people know how to do this though. I'll keep it as my dear guarded secret...

Thanks again. Great post!

ThirdEye
10-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Can we stick to the topic please?

cpan
10-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Wow, long posts here, before the feature debate continues just let me add one wish for Maya:
Faster Marking Menus! I really feel they slow me down. Now you have (almost) all these cool tools etc. but it takes sssooooooommmmmmeeeeeeeee time until you have navigated to them.

You don't have to wait for them to appear on the screen, just sketch by the directions where the tools are located to acces them... if you understand the MMs, you'll become faster than the wind at accesing tools hehe :)

to explain better:
select an edge then hold shift and now press RMB and FASTLY drag to the East (Right) and release the RMB, don't wait for the marking menu to appear! :) Kboom, you beveled the edge in 0.2 seconds :D

Or for edge loop (this one involves navigating through sub-menus):
select the edge then hold ctrl, press RMB and fastly drag to the South-West and release the RMB, BUT you have to do a large drag in order to "virtualy" enter the submenu... Note for submenus sometimes you'll even have to draw "V" like shapes to acces commands ;)

Hope i'm clear enough :)

-edit
Ehem, avinashlobo (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=147423), when spliting with the split poly tool just press the RMB to finish the split but remain with the split tool active ;)

Buexe
10-10-2006, 03:16 PM
" just sketch by the directions where the tools are"

cool thing :thumbsup:
Now back to this review, ahemm, really good I think! ;)

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2006, 03:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.