PDA

View Full Version : Expression to Sit Objects on a Mesh

bobzilla
10-01-2006, 03:08 PM
I know there are some plugins for this, but it seems very simple Xpresso preson to handle.

Is there way, without plugins to get a bunch of objects, randomly to sit on a surface and follow the contour of the surface (normals, I suppose)?

This was discussed somewhat in another thread, but it seems there should be a simple way to accomplish this. I mainly want to use it to place trees, or billboards of trees on to an irregular surface. Not necessarily a huge sloping mountain, just a slightly irregular surface.

I've even played around a little with the TP presets, but I just wasn't getting it.

Thanks...

Rantin Al
10-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Check out the Trees & Drop Zone by Jamie over at 3DAttack.
It does exactly what it says on the tin.:)

Link (http://www.3dattack.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5530)
Cheers, Alan.

Ernest Burden
10-01-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm not a member of that board, so can't get the file.

In the description it mentions using a terrain object--is that the only way it works, or will any poly mesh be usable? Most ground in arch-vis is a poly mesh built from topo lines, not a grayscale-based terrain displacement, though I've used that method as well.

bobzilla
10-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the link, Al. That works great. I would never be able to figure that out myself, even if it is "easy" to set up!

I just posted on that thread (although it's a little old) to see if Jamie can make the dropped objects conform to an irregular mesh.

Right now, it looks like it just goes by the axis location of the child objects, but doesn't sit on a normal, so to speak.

I have NO idea how difficult something like that is to set up in Xpresso, so I hope I'm not asking him for a lot of work...

bobzilla
10-01-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm not a member of that board, so can't get the file.

In the description it mentions using a terrain object--is that the only way it works, or will any poly mesh be usable? Most ground in arch-vis is a poly mesh built from topo lines, not a grayscale-based terrain displacement, though I've used that method as well.

Ernest...

It works with a regular poly mesh, no need for the landscape object.

Rantin Al
10-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Jamie at 3DAttack has kindly given his permission for me to post the file.

Cheers, Alan.

Rantin Al
10-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Hi Bob. The trees once 'planted' will stick to the mesh. Placement is allocated via the RayCollision node with a selection tag to limit the distribution.

Ernest. As Bob mentioned, the terrain refers to a deformed plane mesh not a Terrain Object.

Cheers, Alan.

tcastudios
10-01-2006, 05:38 PM
There is also the free "Greebles" plugin.

http://cmfits.atspace.com/MainPages/downloads.htm

Cheers
Lennart

Ernest Burden
10-01-2006, 08:26 PM
I just posted on that thread (although it's a little old) to see if Jamie can make the dropped objects conform to an irregular mesh.
Right now, it looks like it just goes by the axis location of the child objects, but doesn't sit on a normal, so to speak.

In some cases you would want the placed object to follow a normal, but trees would want to stand up along world Y. I guess having the ability to choose would be best for everyone.

andrasn
10-02-2006, 12:53 PM
You can take a look on OnSurface and GroupOnSurface xpressions in the 9.521 AddOns library folder in Content Browser.

They do more or less the same, one of them in real-time, the other for a click of a button.

Andras

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2006, 12:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.