PDA

View Full Version : Animating a club/lance with both hands

AnonyMouse
10-01-2006, 09:40 AM
I want to animate a piker attacking with a pike :) holding it with both hands. It is usefull to animate the pike only and the hands to be linked to it - if the pike is linked to one hand and if I need to animate the other... :argh:
The problem is I can't just attach the hands to the pike... probably there is a way to do this without breaking the link to the other bones?

AnonyMouse
10-03-2006, 04:33 PM
OK, I solved it :)

Robken
10-03-2006, 05:10 PM
could you put down your solution so other people that may have this problem would know how to fix it?

ty

mocaw
10-03-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm definatly not a rigging expert (or even novice), but I've used POSE contraints for this before on children pouring a box of cereal, and digging for the "prize" inside. Just make sure you have constraint compensation turned on while you setup the constraints. As well you can animate this easily in XSI, so that if you say want the spear to be in just one hand a twirling around, you'd just animate the other one on and off etc. to free up that hand.

In some instances I've also found it helpful to first constrain the hand to a pin constraint, then constrain the pin to the object- I'm sure there are more elegant solutions though.

AnonyMouse
10-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Well I am still a novice in XSI and I was searching for a solution similar to Character studio (in 3ds max) but never thought for constrains. Seams they are very important in XSI. So I make "Biped_Rig.RArmEff" constraint (position, pose, distance... still experimenting) to a kube, the "Biped_Rig.LArmEff" to another kube and linked this kubes to the club - I mean I make the club/lance their parent. So I have just to move the club and both the hands are moving with it. But still there is information about the constrains to learn...

mocaw
10-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Using POSE constraints it seems it only takes two clicks....bada bing...

I'm sure there are reservations to this method though as there seems no one way to rig something- and it all depends on what you're trying to do in that scene. I hope someday to get the 3Dtutorials set on rigging and fully get my head around constraints and scripting for rigs.

CGTalk Moderation
10-03-2006, 10:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.