PDA

View Full Version : Duplication on a path

e5a
10-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Hi,
I currently have a curve that goes all over the place that I need to put an object back to back across this curve until the curve ends.
Because the curve is SO long and in 3 dimensions it would take FOREVER to duplicated it and postion it on the curve by hand.
Is there an easy way to do this?
Thanks SO much

gringer
10-02-2006, 05:28 AM
Hi there,

If you're using MAX, what you're looking for is the spacing tool. You can find it under the tools menu up top. Simply open the tool dialogue with the object you want to duplicate selected. Click select path, choose the path then change the count number to get the desired result.

Hope that helps!

:D

Gremlin
10-02-2006, 06:33 AM
You can attach the obect to the curve via a Motion Path...you can do some math to figure out the number of frames to use from start to finish, but just essentially move frame by frame--each time, duplicating the original.

Since the copies won't be dynamically linked to the motion path (only the original) you can just keep clicking to the next frame, and duplicating the object again. This is quite helpful, for example, when creating eyelashes.

e5a
12-07-2006, 05:42 AM
Since Im using Maya, thats what I pretty much had to end up doing, but it was a pain because the path I needed to duplicate the object...however, I did find another way of animating it and capturing the object every n frames to duplicate...and as much as that sounded like it would work, it was a pain to make detailed corrections.
Thanks for your advice :)

CGTalk Moderation
12-07-2006, 05:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.