PDA

View Full Version : MGAC - 026 - 'Crime doesn't pay' character

pruvaloo
09-30-2006, 01:52 PM
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/1089/mgacpostercopy0zl.jpg

The criminal underworld is home to a wide variety of shady characters, from the lowly mugger to the high flying, all powerful drug baron, and the challenge this week is to create one of these crimal characters.

You are free to create any criminal in any style and from any era you like. Some examples may be:

a member of the mafia
a 1920s gangster
a drug dealer
a bankrobber
a mugger/street criminal
a car thief
a prison convict
an outlaw from the wild west...so long as they are a law breaker they are valid!
You can go as stylised or as realistic as you like, but the character should show some 'character' - they should have a personality - so add things like tattoos or scars, distinguisable marks etc.

If you would like to add a prop to your character please do, however:

props will be counted in your final poly count and texture space usage
the main aspect of the challenge is the character, so make sure they are the main focus of attention and the prop doesn't distract from that
If you have time you can pose your character, otherwise the standard 'T' pose is fine, as I said the main emphasis is on the character, not how they are standing ;)

The limits:

You can use up to 1500 triangles [EDITED]

You can use 1x 512x512 texture (+ normal and spec maps *optional*) [EDITED]

The challenge starts now, and will end on Saturday 14th October at midnight British Summer Time. You can check the current UK time here (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=136).

I will be going through the entries on Sunday 15th October and announce the winner.
I figured something organic would be a nice change, however I am open to suggestions should anyone have any issues with my choice. Also, I wasn't sure how much of a 'challenge' to make the challenge, so if anyone has any issues with the limits feel free to shout.

Good luck, and have fun!!

Synthesizer
10-01-2006, 01:11 AM
Sounds like a great idea! I'm in. I haven't done much character stuff (none for games) so this will be a good challenge for me :)

B.T.
10-01-2006, 08:06 PM
It's a great idea and I would love to join, but honestly I think 1 week for a 3000 tris character is way to short! Of course a gameartist working 8h/5 days a week would easily make it, but most people here have a fulltimejob, school, or university etc.

I guess you should either extend the deadline (~3 weeks would be more suitable) or change the specs to maybe a PSP or at least a quake3 like character (around 1500 tris).

Just a suggestion...

Synthesizer
10-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Yes, I think a longer deadline could help this one. Three weeks might be a bit much, seeing as this is the "micro" challenge, but more than one is definitely needed I think.

ojko
10-01-2006, 08:44 PM
I like the idea but the title "crime doesn't pay," made me think we'd have to model something similar to the Green Cross Code man. :)

pruvaloo
10-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Synthesizer - good stuff :) looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

B.T. - looking back I think that you are right and I was too unrealistic. The limits have now been updated to something which should be more manageable. Hope you find the chance to enter!

I decided to cut the limits, because being the MGAC I didn't want it to run for a long time. Of course, if after a week people are still finishing up their models I don't mind extending the deadline for a couple of days or so, like MGAC 025

ojko - yeah, maybe not the most appropriate title

Ok thanks a lot for that feedback guys, hopefully the new limits are better/more realistic.

I'm excited to see what people make :)

blacker
10-02-2006, 06:51 PM
I like the idea but the title "crime doesn't pay," made me think we'd have to model something similar to the Green Cross Code man. :)

I was thinking of McGruff the crime (fighting) dog.
"Take a bite outta crime."

http://www.virginia.edu/insideuva/2001/38/images/mcgruff%20-%20color.jpg

Sounds cool. Hopefully I can knock out something. I may go ninja. :)

You can use 1x 512x512 texture (+ normal and spec maps *optional*) [EDITED]

So you're saying in addition to a 512X512 color map, we can use additional 512X512 maps for normal and spec? How about opacity?

Thanks, mate.

HellBoy
10-02-2006, 07:24 PM
lol I started this Alien drug dealer, but I need to adjust few edges to reduce poly count :wise:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/mwarsame/_3mgac.jpg

Auctane
10-02-2006, 07:32 PM
I hate making characters, I never finish them because I am not good with texturing them... and rigging... I may go for a Dick Tracy character regardless. I wanted to do a 20's gangster before you started this challenge. Good timeline for me, I usually loose interest if a model drags out longer than it should.

pruvaloo
10-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Alright, good to see some more interest in here :)

blacker - sorry, yeah I should of been clearer. Yup, in addition to the 512x512 diffuse map you can also use a 512x512 normal map, 512x512 spec map, and I think we will say that a 512x512 opacity map is allowed as well.

HellBoy - I'm not even gonna ask what kind of alien 'space dust' that guy sells ;) lol

somnambulance - as with all 3d I guess it's all just about practice :) maybe the short dealine will motivate you to get a character finished and textured

Ok I want to see some more wips people. Come on, get working :p

(got a bit carried away with the smilies)

Synthesizer
10-03-2006, 05:17 AM
Well, unfortunitly it looks like I'll have to drop out, there's a huge amount of work I've got to do this week, for Friday, and I don't think I'll feel like doing anything on Saturday :sad: Oh well, I'll catch the next one for sure.

Pauler
10-03-2006, 10:24 AM
im in x) or at least m gonna try ;)

ive a street criminal in mind.

someone like him: http://www.haeftling-shop.de/images/welcome_r1_c1.jpg

x) good luck to all

Pauler
10-03-2006, 12:08 PM
hi there :)

heres my mesh
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5408/streetcriminalhu1.jpg

kinda hard with only 1500 tris :/ i would really appreciate it if you show me where i can optimize my mesh

btw i used the standart male vom the-blueprints.com

byebye:shrug:

Psyk0
10-03-2006, 05:39 PM
You could get rid of the 2 edges on each side of the character's "symmetry" edge, for starters. Your mantra should be: if it doesnt define anything, get rid of it! ;).

I think 8 sided would be enough division for the torso, 6 or 7 for the arm, same for the leg... go for an optimization pass when needed.

Check out Bobo's work, great examples to follow: http://www.bobotheseal.com/

Pjanssen
10-04-2006, 03:30 PM
I'm going to give it a try too. I'm not really sure if I'll be able to finish in time though, 7 days for a full character is really tight if you need to do it in your free time.

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1732/2bu6.th.jpg (http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1732/2bu6.jpg) http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1189/3zv2.th.jpg (http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1189/3zv2.jpg)

pruvaloo
10-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Hey guys

Ok, so it's about 29 hours till the deadline, and I was just wondering how you guys are progressing?

Anyone struggling for time or wanting an extension to the deadline? If so how many extra days would you like/do you need?

I'd rather make an extension and get a lot of finished models rather than stick to the deadline and get 1 or 2 finished entries (if any at all)

So, just let me know what you think :)

I decided to try and make a character too, because I need all the practise I can get although obviously I can't enter - mine is just for fun

Pauler
10-06-2006, 07:17 PM
im still working x) but struggling a bit with the texturing .. ill post something in a few hours x)

show some screens pruvaloo :)

blacker
10-06-2006, 08:41 PM
I'm working on one, but I doubt I'll finish it. I may try for another really simple one.. sadly just not enough free time to work on it.

pruvaloo
10-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Seems that people are struggling to find time, so how about I extend the deadline for another week? I guess at least that way people will have more time to get their models finished.

So the NEW DEADLINE IS SATURDAY 14th OCTOBER at MIDNIGHT UK TIME

I'll edit the first post to reflect these changes. Hope this helps :)

Pauler - there's a couple of things I wanna get finished tonight, but I'll be sure to post some up before I go to bed :)

Ghostscape
10-06-2006, 10:53 PM
I don't want to sound like a party pooper but the MGAC has always worked best with small projects - making a 1500 triangle anything, much less a character, is sort've above the specs the successful ones have been. Extending the deadline helps but the original point was to make small projects that a lot of people could finish in a day or so worth of work.

blacker
10-06-2006, 11:43 PM
I don't want to sound like a party pooper but the MGAC has always worked best with small projects - making a 1500 triangle anything, much less a character, is sort've above the specs the successful ones have been. Extending the deadline helps but the original point was to make small projects that a lot of people could finish in a day or so worth of work.

Yeah.. OR we could make it an actual CHALLENGE instead of crate modeling.. :rolleyes:

I understand that with smaller projects, more people might enter, but while it does require more imagination, it's not as much of a modeling challenge.. it usually comes down to who can texture better. It's not that I'm against smaller projects, but really, it doesn't hurt to be ambitious once in a while..

I'm sure you'll disagree I'm not aiming for a flame war, so I won't be posting here again unless it's actually thread related (e.g. a model).

HellBoy
10-07-2006, 02:56 AM
I so suck at character modeling... and envori modeling... and prop modeling... and 2d skills... I just suck :buttrock:

here ya go, I am unwrapping him. He is 2704tris including the geosphere eyes. I am unwrapping manually and its so boring, 'know taking a face, attaching it to its neighbour face, and so on

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/mwarsame/mgac_crime_wip1.jpg

EDIT: I'm going to fix the mirror thingy, mid edge

diffa
10-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Hi,
here's my model.1449 tris.
He's a outlaw cowboy or something like that(not indiana jones :P).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/diffa/2c049ebe.jpg

pruvaloo
10-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Nice work guys, they're looking great :thumbsup:

HellBoy - oh man, mapping something face by face can be so tedious. You have my sympathies! Lol

Pauler - I said I'd post my 'just for fun' model the other night but my internet decided to play silly buggers. Looks to be working alright tonight though...here's my California stylie OG. Still very much a wip, texturing needs lots of work still and I want to add some kind of weapon.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/4087/og1cw4.jpg

Psyk0
10-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Great work diffa! (sorry but you made Indy :P.)

Gamedev
10-08-2006, 12:55 AM
I would say though thats why we have an MGAC and a GAC. I personally never have enough time for the GAC and the MGAC is a nice retreat from my own work each week. Something quick and fun. We have had some good ones though that was more than a last generation model and texture. We had a great prop one like 4 or 5 MGAC's ago. Anyway, I'd say turning this into a two week thing is a bit out of the ordinary, but not a big deal. Always finish what you start :)

Pauler
10-08-2006, 05:37 PM
hi there,

heres mine ... well just a colomap - textures needs lots of work but hey .. times up ;)
some problems with texture seams and uv unwrapping hm :/

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/3594/defusemodelzj5.jpg

and diffa yeah thats INDY :D
looking good ;)

pruvaloo
10-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Pauler - time isn't up...there was an extention because people were struggling to find the time to finish up their entries. At least that's the impression I got, although if people want the challenge to end now that's fine by me - means I won't have to answer to the complaints ;) lol. Just post up saying 'This sucks and I want it to end now.'

Gamedev - yeah I guess I got carried away with the topic. Maybe it would of been better for me to choose something a lot simpler. But we live and learn and I'm sure normal MGAC service will be resumed as soon as mine is over. Does it turning into a 2 week event mean you have time to enter? :)

Ghostscape - yeah, maybe something smaller or simpler would of worked better, however I thought it might be interesting to try this. Maybe I was right, probably I was wrong.

" making a 1500 triangle anything, much less a character, is sort've above the specs the successful ones have been." I get what you are saying, but something everyone should bear in mind is that a poly limit is not a set quota that has to be met. Someone could just as easily produce a 500 tri model and enter it, and so long as it was of some kind of criminal character it would be just as valid as a 1500 tri model.

Seems that this MGAC has been a bit of a failure, but even so there's already some nice work in here, so well done lads :)

And remember, there is an extension unless a lot of people complain for it to end now, so plenty of time to get your models finished up!

RuinedMessiah
10-09-2006, 05:13 AM
I will likely throw something together fairly quickly. Warning though, it won't be like anything you guys have here.... because I truly am a sick and twisted bastard...

diffa
10-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Thanx for the comments Pauler and Psyk0. Here's a little texture update.
Remember that he's not indy :rolleyes:
http://alphapolygon.com/pics/works/asd89274h.jpg

MrDev
10-10-2006, 04:12 AM
you are absolutely right... its harison ford playing your typical western crook... thats sure as hell not gonna lose... :D

Auctane
10-11-2006, 04:12 PM
I think we should ammend the rules of the MGAC so that if there are no entries by the end of the (one week) challenge then it will go into a sudden death overtime of a 128 challenge. That is a 128 tri limit, 128x128 color texture only. 24 hours best 128 wins.

Titan369
10-11-2006, 04:30 PM
lol, thats not a bad idea, nor a bad idea for another challange as well.

RuinedMessiah
10-11-2006, 05:59 PM
It was the delay of the deadline that made me enter. I finally looked at the challenge with 4 hours left to the deadline... so the new one lets me in.

diffa
10-11-2006, 10:44 PM
I must say that there has been way too much talk about rules and such and way too little modelling. stop whining and start modelling.

psychojohno
10-13-2006, 08:10 AM
sorry i didnt have time to enter this one but when does it finish and when does the next one start :shrug:

pruvaloo
10-13-2006, 02:32 PM
diffa - could not agree with you more :thumbsup:

psychojohno -

The challenge starts now, and will end on Saturday 14th October at midnight British Summer Time. You can check the current UK time here (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=136).

I will be going through the entries on Sunday 15th October and announce the winner.

I will pick a winner on Sunday, it's then up to that person to start the next one as soon as they want.

pruvaloo
10-15-2006, 04:59 PM
I think some folks had some really great ideas, and it's a shame that only 2 people managed to find the time to finish their characters. That being said I will try and offer some words to everyone who posted up an image. Ok then, moving onto some crits:

HellBoy - Liked this idea, the notion that even aliens with all their superior technology still need to go meet some dude in a shady part of town to pick up some space drugs is pretty cool :)
When I first saw the concept I immediately thought of the alien from the Men In Black movie, if I remember rightly he's dancing away with Will Smith to the music video at the end of the movie. I don't know if that was your intention, but it certainly made me relate to your model.

Pauler - The first shot of your mesh was looking promising and your idea of a street criminal was kind of similar to my own 'just for fun' idea. Looks like you definately did your research and decided early that he was going to be a street criminal, which is always important when making a model. You mentioned that it was kinda hard with only the 1500 triangles, which I'm glad about, that's what makes it a challenge ;) Seems like you managed to optimise your mesh a little and ended up with a character that was well within the limits, so well done on that one.

Pjanssen - The screengraps of the hat, cigar and shoes make me think you were going for some kind of gangster? Very promising start here, although it looks like you didn't manage to find the time to finish. It's a shame cos I'd of liked to see this character finsihed.

diffa - I know it's not Indy...I know it's not Indy...but....it's Indy (jk)! Seriously though, your model is looking really good. From the start people mentioned the likeness to Indy, which I think just showes how you managed to nail the rugged and badass look of the character.

Right, so seeing as the only people to have finished entries are diffa and Pauler the contest is between those two.

Pauler - Your finished character is looking great, I love how you remembered to include little details such as the wringles in the guys vest were it is tucked into his trousers. The tattoos and that scar on his head (looks like a serious injury, can only imagine the type of fight he was in to get that ;)) along with his face certainly add to the feeling that this guy is someone who you don't wanna meet on a dark night!

The only things I would really crit : there is quite an identifiable difference between the texture of the arm and the texture of the hand around the wrist area but you already mentioned this in your post. Also his head seems as though it is slightly too tall, almost as if he has an extra bit added on to his forehead. I think maybe this is because he is bald though, it certainly doesn't look like this from the back, only from the front.

diffa - As I said above, this guy is looking badass! He looks like the type of guy who has done his share of robberies and stick ups in the past and could easily handle himself in a gun fight. I think the mesh is looking fantastic, I don't really have any crits on the modeling at all. The texture work is really great aswell - I like how you managed to keep his outfit quite subtle, but still add in details such as the seams in the jacket and the back of the pants, the belt and of course the revolver. I can't really see any areas that need any more attention, or that I would change.

So for that reason diffa is the winner. Congratualtions! It was a really tough call though, so well done to Pauler as well. diffa, feel free to decide a topic and then post up the new MGAC as soon as you are ready.

Pjanssen
10-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Pjanssen - The screengraps of the hat, cigar and shoes make me think you were going for some kind of gangster? Very promising start here, although it looks like you didn't manage to find the time to finish. It's a shame cos I'd of liked to see this character finsihed.
Yep that's right, I didn't have enough time to finish it (or even to continue working on it) unfortunately.
It was indeed going to be a gangster, a big, fat one in fact. I still intend to finish it some time soon though.

Congrats to diffa, well deserved I think.

diffa
10-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I won! :bounce: :applause: I'm going to start planning the next topic at once.
thanx pruvaloo and Pjanssen!

Pauler
10-16-2006, 09:02 AM
hehe congratz diffa :) indy rocks :)

and thanks pruvaloo for the kind words ;)

lets go diffa x)

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2006, 09:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.