PDA

View Full Version : Need desperate help!

PlExEFile
09-30-2006, 06:49 AM
Hy there!

I am new to this forum, and i really need your help! I have some questions that i need to answer as soon as possible.

1) I need to know what vertex color illumination is, how it's used, and ALL you can give me about this subject. ALL !

EDIT:Well i made some tryies myself with vertex color.I am confused.Look what i did. I modeled something quick,basic texture, and than applied a vertex paint. On the material of the objct in the self illum slot i added vertex color. (so far did i do right ?). and than i started to paint. BUT it doesn t do a thing when i render.

I ve seen somewere here that radiosity has smth to do with it. I played with it..but only in the preview my light appears on the obj but when i render it s as normal as it can get. Please guide me!

2) Why do you thing in game industry there would be a need for the texture size to be made from pare numbers (IE 2,4,6,....128...etc)?

3) How do i index a texture? And were do i check to have 256 colors textures?

4)What is a multi sub object material?

Thanx for your interest. Hope there will be some interest

Headless
09-30-2006, 11:43 AM
1. "An alternative technique for lighting maps or models. In short, this lighting algorithm within a 3D engine calculates the light intensity at every vertex on the thing it is lighting, and then smoothly shades between vertexes based on these results." - Google Definitions (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&defl=en&q=define:Vertex+lighting&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title)

"Each polygon has a minimum of 3 vertices. If light is cast towards the polygon, each vertex will usually receieve a differing light level. Vertex lighting blends the light level on the surface of the polygon based on the vertex light levels. Because of this blend, neighboring polygons will also appear smooth, resulting in a smooth mesh surface even if the mesh geometry is coarse. However, a coarse polygon will still be detected by seeing its edges and comes with its own set of problems." - UnrealWiki (http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Vertex_Lighting%20)

2. It's a programming thing. It's to do with storage management on the graphics card as far as I understand it. I think it might also help when it comes to mipmapping. I know that some game engines support non-power of two textures but they may just auto scale them when it comes to using them.

I'm a bit sketchy on this subject, so if anyone has any clearer answers then do share.

3. Not 100% sure what you mean here but you can change your colour mode in Photoshop by selecting Image > Mode > Indexed Colour and then selecting the correct colour palette from the drop down menu.

4. A multi/sub-object material is a type of material in Max (and I believe also in Autodesk VIZ), that allows you to apply many different materials to one object at the same time based on material ID's that you assign to certain polygons of your object.

Hope that helps.

CGTalk Moderation
09-30-2006, 11:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.