PDA

View Full Version : JESUS YAPOR - VFS Visual Effects Reel

jlyapor
09-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Hey guys and girls,

I am a recent graduate of the 3D animation & VFX program of Vancouver Film School. These are some shots I created within 6 months of pre-production, art direction, production of the shots (modeling, rigging, texturing, animation, light/render & Compositing), and of course, lots of self-learning and troubleshooting. Main software used: Softimage XSI, Maya and Adobe AE & PS. Thank you all that were beside me in this long but awesome year.

Please pay respect to my friend & sound designer Will Tompkins (http://www.thesubterranean.net/) and TURN UP the volume! It makes a difference.

length: 1:15 - 34.6 MB QT H264 High: right click and SAVE TARGET AS... (http://www.jesusyapor.com/_qt/JesusYapor_VFX_Reel_06_high.mov)

Some stills:

http://www.jesusyapor.com/_qt/Jesus_VFX_Still_2.jpg

http://www.jesusyapor.com/_qt/Jesus_VFX_Still_1.jpg

Thanks,
Jesus Yapor.

ivanisavich
09-29-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm getting a 404 error.

jlyapor
09-29-2006, 11:10 PM
It works now, thanks.

echoBars
09-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Nice work and I appreciate the breakdown you provided. Nothing to crit really. It was very well done and professional looking. How did you enjoy the rotoscoping, and how long did you spend on it. I find rotoscoping time-consuming and not very creative/artistic-a neccessary evil I guess.....

My site...http://burdenwoe.com

Lupin500
09-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Hey Jesus, amazing reel!:thumbsup: I also really like how you did the breakdown!
See you soon at the grad!

tokaru
09-30-2006, 04:48 AM
esta muy chingon tu reel me gusto un chingo, ¿como te va cuando es el screening de tu clase?

bueno espectacular que bueno es verte por aca.

p0rcupine
09-30-2006, 05:30 AM
Hey Jesus. what a cool looking reel. I knew u would pull it out.

nice breakdown u got there, I can see u did tons of work to make this piece work in 6 month.

no matter what people say I know you will see so many mistakes and "should've done this and should've done that..." but believe me it's a really good piece of work.

If I have to give u some crits, I would say inside of the creature's mouth doesn't look... slimy... it looks more like... metalic stuff.. it's always not easy to get something slimy... tighter and stronger hightlights on top of ur current highlights may help to achieve that look. and it would make more sense if ur creature had some dirt on its body.. as he/she came thru the wall... and some debris falling from the creature would be nice touch too...

However... I know you did what u could do during the six month and it doesn't seem like u wasted ur time. Great job Jesus.

Good luck with ur job landing. Take care.

jlyapor
09-30-2006, 07:38 AM
p0rcupine: thanks man, I'm glad you liked it. I can see what you mean about the inside of the mouth. And the debris falling from the creature, that would have been cool. we always wish we had more time but also, It was good to move on from that shot and get fresh eyes. good luck to you as well, i'm sure you'll do great.

Lupin500: thanks dude, see you next week!

burdennwoe: it is necessary and it is evil hehe... I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it, but I prefer doing other things (creative/artistic like you said). I didn't take long, maybe a couple of days, but I always found myself going back and tweaking it. tracking helped sometimes.

tokaru: gracias loco, es el el viernes 6.

formoso
09-30-2006, 07:57 AM
Nice work dude, it is definatly an impressive real. it was cool to see it develop and i think it improved greatly from watching the initial steps. GL with the job too!

gatorji
09-30-2006, 08:25 AM
great job jesus. love the breakdowns for your testicles...oops i means tenticles..you definately worked hard over the 6 months and it was a pleasure sitting next to you for 2 terms. we learned alot from each other and hopefully i'll get to work with you again one day. good luck to you bro

Pumar
09-30-2006, 12:40 PM
wow, wow, wow, wow jesus man tha's some great stuff.

the sound just makes it extra creepy, fantastic job man, all of it awsome stuff, breakdowns nicely done and good style alltogether.

only comment i'd have, is i was expecting some sort of creature or something scary at the end of the credits to finish me off, as i was just totally mesmorised with it all.
I guess that's what happens when you see awsome stuff you just don't want it to stop.

definatly can't wait to see what you do next.

three pints of guiness way up man!!!

Luis

jlyapor
09-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Pumar: hehe thanks Luis, the sound did add a lot to the creepy factor. I'm glad you felt like watching more... that's a compliment. I'd be cool to work together sometime. Three pints of guinness way up to you too! and shepherd's pie!!

Gatorji: As always most inappropriate!! haha, thanks John, it was a pleasure to work next to you too. good luck. ARggg!

formoso: hey man, all your feedback during this project helped immensely, you always managed to extend my thoughts and never to limit them.

thanks for your comments. any critique to help me improve is always welcome.

SanjayChand
10-01-2006, 02:21 AM
thats a kick ass reel man.

Is the intro sequence with the robotic spider thing all CG?

and what software did you use?

thanks

fiftyfive
10-01-2006, 04:50 AM
Jesus! whats up man? Well done on your reel, you worked hard and it payed off. Im sure its nice to get it all finished. Well good luck finding a job, though i dont think you'll need it. Hopefully you find somthing here in vancouver and we can go to the deftones when they come again.

congrats!

luisito
10-01-2006, 05:07 PM
hey man nice work, i gotta say it's one of the best i've seen in this website in a long time, keep it up.

luisito
10-01-2006, 05:23 PM
cool sutff man you should be working on one of those big companies, this is one of the best reels in this website right now. keep it up.

danshewan
10-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Really great work - congratulations. I'd be very proud of your accomplishments on this reel, and the breakdown shots really emphasize the effort that went into the serpent shot - this was a pleasure to watch.

Again, great work man - nice one.

dmc3d
10-02-2006, 04:57 AM
Hey Jesus

This demoreel coming so long way, when you started and now. The fast skin shade problems and solutions. And in the final is so cool.Great work man. Nice to work this year and we helping each other, great experience.
Good luck and hope you get a job soon and keep in touch

cheers

Daniel

jlyapor
10-02-2006, 08:02 AM
hey guys

aryaFX: the spider is the only cg element in the first shot. that's interesting, someone asked me that question before... I dunno why. And it was done in maya, the rest of the reel in xsi. glad you liked it.

fiftyfive: hehe for sure man. hopefuly.

luisito: thanks man, there's a lot of great work around right now.

danshewan: hey thanks man, I am proud of it, cause I know I tried my best and managed not to go crazy. But there's always room for improvement, so maybe my next project will be better hehe.

dmc3d: thanks dan, it was awesome working together. good luck to you.

p4roxysm
10-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Great work Jesus! I love how unified your whole reel is in terms of color, mood and atmosphere. I espeicially like what you did with the color in the spider animation. I can't wait to see more!

wesa
10-03-2006, 10:17 AM
That's so cool!
I like what you've done with the place! The changes to the room are really cool. It looks so mutch better with a darker wall and the work with the drapes! Great stuff!

Really like the animation work aswell! Well I could go on and on! Let's just say it's damn good and no crits from me. But I do agree with Porcupine about the debris and dirt. But hey, I bought it!

Keep it up!

rastko
10-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Great work. Well done. Well... post something new soon :)

Ramteen
10-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Oh my god . simply coool .:eek: congrages . you re really good in compositing . hope to see you where you must be :D cheers :D

alaa ahmed
10-04-2006, 07:28 AM
it's really a great reel and thanks so much for the breakdown

ratatat
10-04-2006, 03:52 PM
excellent job Jesus. So much suspense in a short amount of time. Great work on the visuals, as well as the splining animation. wowww. all i can say.

great job fellow vfs alum.
cheers :)

J.Gaeta
10-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Jesus!!! Wow, is all I can say. Great job all around and I wish you all the best. Good luck!

Jeff

lostPin
10-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Excellent, tight piece of work that demonstrates knowledge of quite a lot techniques. I would only put some crits on those extra worm-like parts of the monster. They look a bit unrealistic compared to the main body of the creature. Anyway, great work!

jlyapor
10-05-2006, 01:04 AM
Hey folks! good to know you like the shots.

Chikos: I agree with you, I had the hardest time lighting and texturing these little guys... And I wasn't completly happy with the final result, but I was forced to move on. Most of the tweaking I did in comp and I think that was the problem, "fix it in comp" didn't quite cut it... I needed better renders to work with, but hey, that's an experience and now I know.

Jeff: thanks a lot! maybe we can comp one of your kick ass models sometime! that'd be cool.

Ratatat: I loved the splining animation, I used it on the creature and it was like drawing on a canvas (moving control objects)... but you know, the little ones were animated with bones and it was a challenge man... I wish I had built the same rig for them as the creature, next time I won't make it so hard on myself.
I was going for suspense, so i'm glad it worked for you. thanks again.

Jonason: I found it quite fun to change up the room, and it worked to my advantage. When I scouted the room and took pictures with my digital camera it looked nice. But when I went to shoot with video I had to close the curtains to get a decent exposure. So I added the open curtains later as a still. thanks!

alaa ahmed, Ramtin, Abishai-RS: thanks much! I've already started working on something else...

p4roxysm: thanks dude! color does make a difference. I intended to keep the mood coherent, so it works as a piece.

cheers!

chrisbyk
10-05-2006, 01:59 PM
I m not used to leave posts but I have to say that this reel is really impressive.
It contains so many techniques that usually entire teams work to get results like this.

Congrats.

nikkons
10-06-2006, 12:52 AM
They all have said it
lots of work = excellent results :thumbsup: this is the result of 1 year exp in 3D..? i wonder what could be next ...
congrats on the reel ! ! !

JuanJO

Sherif.Nagib
10-06-2006, 03:44 AM
Totally Wicked ! :buttrock:
great job , I don't have any crits other than what's been already said. But I have 2 curious questions :) , first : with the spider shot.. is that the VFS ceiling.. homer campus ?
and second : who did you guys have for a vfx mentor ?
anyways, gr8 work again.. I suggest a frontpage plug admins ! :scream:
sherif, 3d54:beer:

billywoodward
10-06-2006, 05:53 AM
Really nice work! Loved the concept, it very much reminded me of something that could be seen for a SciFi channel promo. I also enjoyed the breakdown, it really showed how much work truly went into the piece. Again nice job!

JBoskma
10-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Incredibly well rounded project my friend. Awesome reel. It has been a pleasure. :)

Snowdog
10-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Great work all around, really enjoyed this piece and the music really adds to it.

The editing is top notch as well.

Hope to see much more from you, cheers.

PureMoxi
10-09-2006, 10:53 AM
So haunting...Everything in your reel has a consistent and familiar mood and tone...even the editing speaks to it. Very well done. My only wish was that your "actor" would have been a bit more scared/shocked when he closed the book, but what can you do?...damn vis effects artists with their cool hats...

Congrats...look forward to seeing more from you in the near future.

jlyapor
10-12-2006, 05:03 AM
Hey guys!

PureMoxi: glad to know you see consistency. I could've had the actor be more scared, or have more interaction, but I made the desicion of having him act normal-ish based on the concept -anxiety and imagination-. hope that works for you.

Snowdog: thank you!

Jboskma: Thanks man, that means a lot coming from you.

billywoodward: hehe I'm glad you liked the concept, I spent a significant time of this project on it, but it all turned out. it was a good experience, I can make choices a bit faster now. thanks man!

Sherif.Nagib: thanks dude, the cealing on the spider is from a parking lot, and I flipped the footage. The vfx mentor was keith, remember him?

nikkons: thanks man. one long year just learning 3d... now I love it.

chrisbyk: thanks a lot for your post man, I'm flattered.

Annhialator
10-16-2006, 12:43 AM
I really liked the overall feeling of this you don't see often a very solid demo reel in all aspects ...Visuals, editing, sound awsome work man I wonder which feature film you'll work ion ;)

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2006, 12:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.