PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo:Hands-on with Nintendo Wii

RobertoOrtiz
09-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Quote:
"
What I liked

Innovative controllers: What seemed goofy at first turns out to be pretty ingenious. In the Wii Sports Boxing game, for example, you use the Nunchuk and the Wireless Controller (one in each hand) to punch at the screen, making the whole experience more realistic. It's also nifty in a game like Zelda, where the Nunchuk in the left hand moves the character around, while the Controller in the right serves as a sword controller.

Pick up and play: Many of the Wii titles on display were of the no-previous-experience-necessary puzzle (Wario Ware:Smooth Moves (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=Alw7YSe.OUIgD9C.sDhQsxTxLJA5/SIG=11kok875j/**http%3a//wii.nintendo.com/software_warioware.html), Big Brain Academy (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AtnIEdUJPncC6eeT15BntUjxLJA5/SIG=11qdfeepe/**http%3a//wii.nintendo.com/software_bigbrainacademy.html)) variety. And the motions you make using the controllers on Wii Sports so mimic the actual sports (you literally swing the controller like a tennis racket) that even "uncoordinated" types who have grade-school-gym-class-enforced familiarity with, say, baseball, would be able to pick up and play. Even well-established franchises such as Madden NFL 07 offer user-friendly tutorials for the uninitiated. Lapsed gamers intimidated by complicated Xbox 360 controllers may flock to the Wii.

Cool interface: I liked the Wii Channels, particularly the appropriately named Mii Channel that lets you create a cartoonish avatar of yourself. Like a version of you if you were a Gorillaz band member, this character can then be inserted into any number of games, including Wii Sports and Wario Ware. With more than six pages of facial hair (two alone for eyebrows) and other physical attributes, this feature is a personalization freak's dream.

What I didn't like

HD or not HD: I couldn't find anyone at Nintendo to give me a straight answer on whether games would be in 480p (same quality as DVDs) or 720p (HD-quality). The component video output—there's no state-of-the-art HDMI—indicates it could go either way. 480p would be nice to view pictures and videos stored on an SD card (which is what is offered on the Wii Photo Channel). And though games might look nice on a TV up to, say 50 inches, Wii titles might suffer if projected onto a wall in 100 inches or on a fat 65-inch rear-projection set.

Thin launch lineup: Nintendo announced more than 40 first- and third-party titles (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AjZLg7LX4cMFXNjzkkPFkZ3xLJA5/SIG=11civ97qk/**http%3a//wii.nintendo.com/games_list.html) due out by March 31st, but it was not specific about exactly how many titles would be out at launch. If it's games you want, you're better off with an Xbox 360 (http://tech.yahoo.com/pr/xbox-360-console/1951167558;_ylt=Av7.wli2tF.1d62r4bT.Go7xLJA5).

Boy, do my arms hurt: Whether "casting" a fishing rod to catch virtual bass in Zelda or tossing a bowling ball in Wii Sports, I nearly dislocated my shoulder using the wireless controller. Shoulder pain may be the gamers' new carpal tunnel syndrome as far as Wii's motion-based gameplay is concerned. "

http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/samiljan/13

-R

RuinedMessiah
09-29-2006, 09:29 PM
I do look forward to reading the warnings in the Nintendo Wii manual. Something like Wii is almost a shoe-in for the absurd. Do Not strike people with wiimotes... If pains appear in the joints, stop use and consult a physician? Two of my favorites in the past.

-Xbox, when dropped from a tall shelf, could cause serious injury.

-PSP... apparently someone tried to play and ride a bike at the same time. Thus, the manual has to tell people this is a bad idea.

Geta-Ve
09-29-2006, 10:59 PM
If I am not mistaken, you can configure the wii controller (in game?) to be more or less sensitive, thus for people that don't really want to get up and swing their racket or bat they can just flick their wrist so to speak

RuinedMessiah
09-29-2006, 11:16 PM
I know that, you know that, dogs know that. But this is news coming from the same kind of information channels that said Bleach for Wii was with "armor clad knights." So I expect this kind of reaction. It's like watching a first time DDR player. Despite the fact that very light taps will do just fine, everyone starting out tends to overdo the motion rather than underdo. I'm sure he could have done a lot more with less motion but it's new to him so someone says "swing the sword" and suddenly he's Yosaki Yojimbo.

spookje
09-29-2006, 11:53 PM
-PSP... apparently someone tried to play and ride a bike at the same time. Thus, the manual has to tell people this is a bad idea.

Of course. Thinking for yourself is too damn difficult. And of course it's just a matter of time before some worried mother tries to sue Nintendo again (for 'emotional trauma' or something... right) because her little girl has used the Wii controller as a dildo/vibrator. Happened with the old controller, so they'll try it again with this one I suppose...

Pavlovich
09-29-2006, 11:56 PM
jesus...must be nice to have a 65" rear projection tv set for the "wii to look bad on" :rolleyes:

i have a feeling mario will be just as fun in dvd quality as it would in HDTV quality :D

SheepFactory
09-30-2006, 12:01 AM
I do have the said 100" projection on the wall actually and this news is a bit worrying for me. I will borrow one from a friend and test it out before purchasing one I guess.

adamdaly
09-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Of course. Thinking for yourself is too damn difficult. And of course it's just a matter of time before some worried mother tries to sue Nintendo again (for 'emotional trauma' or something... right) because her little girl has used the Wii controller as a dildo/vibrator. Happened with the old controller, so they'll try it again with this one I suppose...

did that really happen? i really hope it did for the sake of humour, and i really hope it didn't for the sake of humanity.....

adam

spookje
09-30-2006, 12:18 AM
did that really happen? i really hope it did for the sake of humour, and i really hope it didn't for the sake of humanity.....

adam

Yay for humour then... From what I can find I believe it was in 2002. Can't find the full article anymore, but this is a nice snippet from it:

I have just caught my 15 year old girl, masturbating with a vibrating control pad on a Nintendo Gamecube. Now I am banning this vibrator from my household, but I am concerned about other teenagers who are using these products as masturbation aids. I think that we should call for the banning of these so called game consoles.

I think she actually started a campaign against Nintendo. Horribly lost it of course, and rightfully so, but the fact that people even consider doing it in the first place is ridiculous

noisewar
09-30-2006, 12:40 AM
Quote:

Boy, do my arms hurt: Whether "casting" a fishing rod to catch virtual bass in Zelda or tossing a bowling ball in Wii Sports, I nearly dislocated my shoulder using the wireless controller. Shoulder pain may be the gamers' new carpal tunnel syndrome as far as Wii's motion-based gameplay is concerned. "

I think it's awesome he got that into it. This is about the same as sore thumbs, and guitar hero wrist cramps.

Geta-Ve
09-30-2006, 02:48 AM
I think girls/women should use whatever feel good for them lol

Who ever said interactivity with video games was a bad thing?

I remember Rival Schools for PS1 had a "massage" feature to help your sore wrists.

What?! I was curious! :D

EpShot
09-30-2006, 03:00 AM
I do have the said 100" projection on the wall actually and this news is a bit worrying for me. I will borrow one from a friend and test it out before purchasing one I guess.

i bet watchinn non hd television must be a nightmare for you.

RuinedMessiah
09-30-2006, 07:09 AM

Funny fact, that very reason, as well, is why the Harry Potter vibrating broom stick is no longer on the market....

pearson
09-30-2006, 07:46 AM
Funny fact, that very reason, as well, is why the Harry Potter vibrating broom stick is no longer on the market....I hear washing machines are next on the list.
:p

Squash-n-Stretch
09-30-2006, 01:29 PM
jesus...must be nice to have a 65" rear projection tv set for the "wii to look bad on" :rolleyes:

i have a feeling mario will be just as fun in dvd quality as it would in HDTV quality :D

Yeah...and I will not have a HDTV anytime soon myself, but would it have killed them to add that feature? :S Doesn't really affect me anyways...unless I can find a decent freeware TV card player by December I'll be playing Zelda in 740x640 on a 15" widescreen laptop screen...HDTV will be the LAST of my worries. Wish I had a TV :D

And for those that seem to have an interest in female...personal activity...let's keep it ON TOPIC, yeah?

thoughtlesswhisper
09-30-2006, 01:35 PM
And for those that seem to have an interest in female...personal activity...let's keep it ON TOPIC, yeah?

hey were all human here (i hope). if its related its related. id rather know than not know. highly amusing :)

richcz3
09-30-2006, 05:51 PM
i bet watchinn non hd television must be a nightmare for you.
Would have to agree there - I have a 50" HD set and most channels are still broacast in Standard. Thats not bad enough - you can see the real bad compression used in some network transmissions. Gawd awful - Like viewing a blown up jpg image at low quality. You can see the image swimming. :argh:

If it takes a 65" screen to start to display visual quality issues with the Wii, it's practicaly a non issue.

Squash-n-Stretch
09-30-2006, 08:22 PM
I agree. Why is most television technology these days five times for expensive when they are taking two steps backwards? When I visit a technology store they have all these LCD T.V.'s with the worst pixelation ever yet they are considered better than my really old TV that makes for a much better image :shrug: Maybe I'll invest in one when I buy an X-Box 360 or PS3 (i.e. a long time away)

tozz
09-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Would have to agree there - I have a 50" HD set and most channels are still broacast in Standard. Thats not bad enough - you can see the real bad compression used in some network transmissions. Gawd awful - Like viewing a blown up jpg image at low quality. You can see the image swimming. :argh:

If it takes a 65" screen to start to display visual quality issues with the Wii, it's practicaly a non issue.
It's not just about inches. It'll probably look like crap on a 37" 1920*1080 LCD too. Or rather, since DVD does, Wii will too.

ParamountCell
10-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Reggie gives an interview (http://videogames.aol.com/canvases/articles/_a/reggie-file-amie-interview/20060927165609990001)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.nintendowiifanboy.com/media/2006/09/reggie_bug_eyes_sm.jpg

Sorry I had to post this picture, it cracks me up.

Valrik
10-01-2006, 03:42 AM
I was invited to the Denver Wii Party on the 22nd and I must say that the controls for 1st party titles on the Wii are fantastic. All of the Wii Sports games were intuitive and easy to get the hang of. Warioware was quirky and fast, making excellent use of the controllers as well. The only title I was really not impressed with was Marvel Ultimate Alliance, as it felt like a PS2 port but with Wii-mote functionality tacked on at the last minute.

Subtle movements seemed to be the way to go on most games, such as Excite Truck, Boxing, and Trauma Center: Second Opinon. Move too fast and you're going to end up flailing around for no reason. The controllers felt VERY natural in the hand. They had enough weight that they didn't feel like a toy, but at the same time weren't so cumbersome that I was worn out at the end of the night.

When they reset the consoles and the TV's flashed their status, it looked like all of them were in 480p mode, although I might be mistaken as they did server us free beer all night.

ParamountCell
10-01-2006, 02:38 PM
wrong thread, sorry

ParamountCell
10-01-2006, 02:40 PM
I was invited to the Denver Wii Party on the 22nd and I must say that the controls for 1st party titles on the Wii are fantastic. All of the Wii Sports games were intuitive and easy to get the hang of. Warioware was quirky and fast, making excellent use of the controllers as well. The only title I was really not impressed with was Marvel Ultimate Alliance, as it felt like a PS2 port but with Wii-mote functionality tacked on at the last minute.

Subtle movements seemed to be the way to go on most games, such as Excite Truck, Boxing, and Trauma Center: Second Opinon. Move too fast and you're going to end up flailing around for no reason. The controllers felt VERY natural in the hand. They had enough weight that they didn't feel like a toy, but at the same time weren't so cumbersome that I was worn out at the end of the night.

When they reset the consoles and the TV's flashed their status, it looked like all of them were in 480p mode, although I might be mistaken as they did server us free beer all night.

is it true that the wii didnt have the blue lights turned on?

Valrik
10-02-2006, 12:38 AM
is it true that the wii didnt have the blue lights turned on?

The Blue light was on until the disc was inserted. Once the disc was in, the light went out.

ParamountCell
10-02-2006, 01:13 AM
The Blue light was on until the disc was inserted. Once the disc was in, the light went out.

ok thanks for clearing that up, I was read someplace that the light wasnt there at all and that had the author worried that the final units wouldnt have the light.

Squash-n-Stretch
10-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Reggie gives an interview (http://videogames.aol.com/canvases/articles/_a/reggie-file-amie-interview/20060927165609990001)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.nintendowiifanboy.com/media/2006/09/reggie_bug_eyes_sm.jpg

Sexy bitch.

havokzprodigy
10-02-2006, 08:43 PM
I'm sorry but if you almost dislocate your shoulder playing the Wii, I would hardly blame the controller as I would lack of performing other physical activities like exercise.

Neil
10-02-2006, 09:46 PM
i thought they said the normal controller would work for all titles too, so doesn't that deem complaining about the shoulder injuries worthless?

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2006, 09:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.