PDA

View Full Version : Modeling landscape

pajalmeida
09-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Hi,

I need some help on how to model landscape in 3d Studio Max, including roads, footpaths, kerbs and gardens, i need to model it so, when i texturize it the texture will be on the right way.
I began using the loft, but my dificulty are that i need to do some curves on the hill and for now i had to move it vertex by vertex.
Are there any tutorial on doing this kind of landscape ?

Thanks

maker213
09-30-2006, 08:59 AM
i dont know 3ds,
just know c4d
ho,ho,
Can anyone help you?

gringer
10-02-2006, 04:32 AM
If I understand your problem correctly, you want to make hills from a mesh with many vertices? If that is so, you can either use 'soft selection' or the 'paint deform' to sculpt the shape you want. It is also possible to use a displacement map on the selected vertices or polygons and use a procedural material to give it the organic shape, such as noise or cellular.

Maybe if you make your question a bit clearer people will be able to help out more :P

Cheers

newellteapot
10-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Hi,

I need some help on how to model landscape in 3d Studio Max, including roads, footpaths, kerbs and gardens, i need to model it so, when i texturize it the texture will be on the right way.
I began using the loft, but my dificulty are that i need to do some curves on the hill and for now i had to move it vertex by vertex.
Are there any tutorial on doing this kind of landscape ?

Thanks

I suggest to displace a plane with many subdivisions. Paint greyscale map in photoshop, with the white being flats and the black being heights (the greys intermediate heights) and use it as a displacement. The advantage is that if you want to change the landscape you just have to work on the map and not on the actual mesh.
Also, you can use that map as a reference for where the paths and other details will be.
If you are not familiar with teh technique of displacement, let me know.

:)

gringer
10-06-2006, 09:45 AM
An alternative to using and editing bitmaps, is as I posted previously, to use procedural maps inside your 3D package. Personally, for random organic formations, I find this technique to be very handy and fast. However, if you're after a certain image in your minds eye, then using a bitmap to displace the mesh would definately be the way to go.

Cheers :D

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2006, 09:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.