PDA

View Full Version : Modeling a bishop

Flaye
09-29-2006, 03:57 PM
This might sound like a totally silly question, but how can I get a straight, sharp edge on an otherwise rounded object? I've tried using booleans, and Hard Edge/Vertex, but the results look awful, especially after subdividing further.

Any methods would be greatly appreciated.

This is a reference image of the model.

http://imageigloo.com/images/8059bishop.jpg

mocaw
09-29-2006, 05:06 PM
You might want to try making that part seperate at first- that way you can control the flow of the mesh differently from the rest of the model. Kind of like the difference between sanding against the grain and with it! Depending on how closley it needs to be seen it could stay a seperate part, or you could later bridge it, or semi-manually weld each vertex etc.

I'd opt for adding a bit more geometry near those areas as well- chances are you'll have to mess with the mesh a bit to get it looking right.

Someone with more nurbs experience though might have another option for you.

I'll try to do some examples- at worst I know serveral modeling freaks who love a challenge and would see this as trivial so I'm sure I can get several methods for you if need be.

Flaye
09-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Any possible workflows would be great. Thanks.

kimaldis
09-30-2006, 10:04 AM
it's not the sort of model you'd want to use subdivisions on.I'd build the basic shape using a revolve then use a boolean to get the basic cut placing then clean up the edges and add rounding along the joining edge by hand.

LemonNado
09-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Check out:
http://www.3d-palace.com

In the free tutorials section and in the XSI sub section is a chess model tut which contains exactly what you are looking for.

Cheers
Rainer

Flaye
09-30-2006, 04:38 PM
resolved a connection error with 3d-palace.com

CGTalk Moderation
09-30-2006, 04:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.